Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times

Advertisements

OK so the check engine light comes on. I take the car (2001 Camry) into the mechanics. He runs diagnostics and tells me its a transmission problem. Will cost just under $2 grand for him to pull out the transmission and fix what's wrong. On the recommendation of a relative, I then take the car into a transmission repair shop. After THEY run diagnostics they tell me it's not a transmission problem at all but an engine problem with the following codes:

P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow
P0440 EVAP System Fault

I go to a mechanic that the transmission guys recommend, show him the codes and ask if he can fix. He says yes. I pay $250 and he supposedly fixes the problem. He says to also buy a new gas cap which I do. He said the check engine light should eventually go off. Well it's been 2 days and no the check light is still on. I go into Autozone and they run their diagnostics and it's the insufficient flow issue, which mechanic number 2 supposedly fixed. Autozone guy says I have to go through a "drive cycle" for the check light to go off, well it's been close to 200 miles driven over the the last 2 days. Isnt that long enough? I really am not interested in paying out even more money to fix something that should have been fixed, yet I need the light off to get my inspection tag. So that's three different mechanics unable to correctly diagnose and fix the problem! No idea what to do at this point. What do y'all suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
too many mechanics just pull codes and then replace the parts that are supposedly indicated. what they need to do is run the tests the codes indicate, and find out what is really going on as the codes only show what system is being affected.

the EGR issue could be carbon in the EGR passages, the evap system fault could be a bad hose.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
And the light wont necessarily go off on its own even after a repair. After a repair the tech should clear the code. If theres something still wrong it will come back.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They must have some lousy cheap equipment if they can't reset the code after the repairs. Real diagnostic equipment will not only identify the code but help determine the cause, rather than just throwing parts at it and hoping for a good guess.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM

269 posts, read 534,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
And the light wont necessarily go off on its own even after a repair. After a repair the tech should clear the code. If theres something still wrong it will come back.

Spot on. The codes will erase after so many trouble free incidents, but they should have cleared them to see if it is really gone. That way, if they are cleared and then return, the problem wasn't fixed. Of course, much easier to say, codes will clear after a while and send you on your way.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 PM

317 posts, read 747,362 times
I'd say be glad you didn't have the tranny pulled! You dodged a big time bullet there, see there's always an upside.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
With our 03 Accord V6, It took several on and off cycles for the light to go out. Not necessarily miles driven. We also did check the gas and tighten it as far as it would click.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I'm going to assume since you live so close to Dallas you need the exhaust checked and OBD testing. If the tech had zeroed the CEL where it didn't come on, you'd still flunk the OBD test. It would show a P1000 code and that will get you redlined for an inspection sticker. A P1000 means the system has not gone thru a complete drive cycle so it doesn't know if everything is good or not. Per the linked specs, it would appear that your CEL needs to be reset before the monitor testing can start. The guy that did the repairs should have known this and should have cleared the CEL. You'll need to either take it back to him or disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Then you'll need to follow the drive cycles in the linky for the PCM to completely reset itself.
http://www.watrd.com/work/TSB_EG003-...revised%29.pdf

Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Similar problem here but after the repair the battery was disconnected and then reconnected and no more light coming on. 2 years now.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
this is why i like vintage cars, no ECUs to throw codes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive