Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 AM

805 posts, read 1,871,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, the company has a lot of policies to ensure safety, but in a couple instances, policies were not followed by suppliers, or listened to by a couple people in middle management (you can't say a company does or doesn't do anything, it's always a limited number of human beings IN the company.
Yes, I can say that, we have proof. We know there was a cover-up, we know about the memo, we know about the deaths, we know there was proof enough to sack 15 people recently. And we also know that at any time a whistle-blower could have contacted the media and did not.

Written policies are worthless without the right corporate culture.

Yes, its a limited number of people but the GM corporate culture failed. You don't need a majority of people to set the corporate agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
One of my cars has the ignition problem. It's a mid-2000s GM car, and (very rarely, it's happened four times) while driving the power cuts out totally. Electric is still on in Accessory mode only -- so the radio is on and you don't notice the problem immediately until you sense the heaviness in the wheel and see the lights on the dash. But the engine stops and all of the powered items (brakes, steering, and presumably airbags) go into manual mode. I had taken it in to check the fuel line, etc. Until the recall publicity, the dealer had no idea what was wrong.

I once had a 1972 Cadillac and the power steering belt snapped. That thing was a bear to steer even at highway speeds with no power, but I still had power brakes and engine. This current GM car has the same steering behavior when the ignition flaw manifests. It's frightening, and it takes a lot of wits to get to the right lane, slow to a safe speed, get the transmission in neutral, and restart the engine. At night or in the rain, I understand how people wrecked and even died.

Yes, I've taken it to the dealer mechanic, and yes they are replacing the ignition cylinder. No I don't have a huge amount of junk on the key chain. This is a major defect, and I am glad it's getting the attention that I think it warrants.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Yes, I can say that, we have proof. We know there was a cover-up, we know about the memo, we know about the deaths, we know there was proof enough to sack 15 people recently. And we also know that at any time a whistle-blower could have contacted the media and did not.

Written policies are worthless without the right corporate culture.

Yes, its a limited number of people but the GM corporate culture failed. You don't need a majority of people to set the corporate agenda.
I agreed with your last sentence and that's exactly what the thread I linked to and this whole thread here was about. But no, you can 't say "GM" did anything, nor can you say that about any large company unless it was written policy to do so, signed by the board of directors. And if you were corect and only alimited number of peopel set a corporate agenda, then getting rid of thos epoeple and installing new people amakes the agenda different and you can't continue to blame them under the auspices of using the same corporate name. That woudl be like blaming the current Administration for the Iraq War or the TARP bailouts.

And again, the point is this is a universal corporate and government issue, not a GM one. Look at how whistleblowers are treated in local, state, and federal government. Look at so many companies. If you make products, there are things you cannot say about product failures internally or externally.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,942 times
They sure recalled a lot of vehicles lately:

GM recalls 7.6M more cars as costs balloon

Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
They sure recalled a lot of vehicles lately:

GM recalls 7.6M more cars as costs balloon

Yep and they are having an increase in sales too http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/02/bu...ales.html?_r=0

Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Yep and they are having an increase in sales too http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/02/bu...ales.html?_r=0
Why would they have an increase in sales if the vehicles have problems~?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
To get out of their pre-BK era crapboxes, I reckon?

Besides, lots of folks will go with the evil they already know. My F150s have treated me well. Ford would have to have one heck for a mishap for my next truck not to be an F150. I was lucky enough that my '03 F150 was built late enough in the model year that I didn't have any cruise control issues. I was okay with others spending their hard-earned money to find out that the 24-valve Tritons were garbage while I went for a 4.6 in my '08 SuperCrew. Time will tell with the 3.5L EcoBoost v6. Just as well, Chrysler and GM have their issues.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The whole GM recall mess makes me glad that I bought an F150.

Chevy was in the running but it came down to dollars and cents (plus a couple other things like I didn't want another white truck and that was all the Chevy dealers had in the truck I wanted) and Ford was cheaper.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
From the article:

Quote:
Analysts cited several reasons for G.M.’s performance, like a stronger economy, demand after the bad winter, and the recalls themselves — which drew people into dealerships.

“Early in the year, the harsh winter dampened sales, but pre-existing pent-up demand only strengthened during this time and since the country warmed back up, car shoppers have been out in full force,” said Jessica Caldwell, a senior analyst for Edmunds. Low interest rates and the proliferation of leasing, she added, have also enticed buyers to buy new cars.

Ms. Caldwell said there had been a disconnect between what people saw with the recalls of older G.M. cars like the Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn Ion — which have been out of production for years — and how they acted when they were ready to make a new purchase.

“You’d think it would damage their brand,” she said. “But it’s actually helping to drive purchases at the dealership. You come in to have your old car fixed and see the new designs and technology, and wind up thinking ‘Maybe I’ll buy a new car.’ ”
So it is a secret GM strategy to get people to buy new cars.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
Quote:
Because the problems are minor to most people. Ignition switch that can be accidentally turned off?! OH NOOOOO!!!!

So that means I will loose power steering and power brakes? So what it can happen easily if your belt breaks or your battery dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive