Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

I have a three part question,

What can I use that is cheap and environmentally friendly for:

1. washing the outside of my car?

2. washing the inside of my car (dash, steering wheel, etc)?

3. some sort of sun protection to keep things from fading, cracking, etc?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:39 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
These are strictly my opinions, but this is what I use:

1. Meguiars Gold Class or Deep Crystal wash on a soft wash mitt, being careful to rinse frequently and don't let the mitt touch the bottom of the bucket. Better to have soapy water in one bucket, and clean rinse water in another. A good chamois to dry the car.

2. Meguiars quick interior detailer cleaner & Blue coral carpet &upholstery cleaner.

3. Sun protection is a good wax. I prefer Meguiars Gold Class wax. Wax the headlights and tail lights to maintain luster. For the interior, see #2.

4. For wheels, soap and water followed up by a good coat of wax.

5. For glass, I prefer Stoner's invisible glass.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:40 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
2. Meguiars quick interior detailer cleaner & Blue coral carpet &upholstery cleaner.

3. Sun protection is a good wax. I prefer Meguiars Gold Class wax. Wax the headlights and tail lights to maintain luster. For the interior, see #2.
I could be wrong but I don't think Meg's QID offers any UV protection... if so, minimal at best.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
These are strictly my opinions, but this is what I use:

1. Meguiars Gold Class or Deep Crystal wash on a soft wash mitt, being careful to rinse frequently and don't let the mitt touch the bottom of the bucket. Better to have soapy water in one bucket, and clean rinse water in another. A good chamois to dry the car.

4. For wheels, soap and water followed up by a good coat of wax.

5. For glass, I prefer Stoner's invisible glass.

Hope this helps.
These are good recs, though I have never waxed wheels. Way too hard to do with most wheels, and possibly a waste of time since the wheels get dirtiest fastest.

I like Meguiar's NXT wax.

I also like RainX on my windows.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
I'd recommend this for washing, you don't even need a hose...

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax, no rinse car wash, rinse free car wash, optimum no rinse

This stuff is great for your interior...

303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz

Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I have a three part question,

What can I use that is cheap and environmentally friendly for:

1. washing the outside of my car?

2. washing the inside of my car (dash, steering wheel, etc)?

3. some sort of sun protection to keep things from fading, cracking, etc?

Thanks.
Vinegar and water for the windows.

Distilled water with soft (really soft) towels for the exterior.

Water for the dash and hard plastics.

Eco laundry soap for grimey things (not the paint) Rinse well.

Wax the exterior.

There you go, environmentally friendly and works as good or better than all those name branded liquids that cost $15 for a measly few ounces.

UV protection when not driving? Cover stuff up. Dash cover. Simple covers inside that take seconds to put on. Take all the money you'll save (some people spend hundreds per year on name branded liquids and pastes and put that into maintenance or something really worthwhile.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 AM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times
no soap for the outside of the car? just water?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:03 PM

287 posts, read 506,413 times
Generally:

1) Clay bar body and windows *
2) Meguiar's Gold Class spray Quik Wax to the body
3) Stoner's Invisible glass for all of the windows
4) Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer wipes for the inside surfaces

* I don't clay bar every time I wash. I do it maybe 2-3 times a year.

Also, microfiber cloths for everything. If you don't have any, I highly suggest buying some.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
I go through a local car wash about once a month.They recycle the water. I spray my van with a green cleanser and use a brush on really dirty spots. Before going through.
I clean my windows with a towel and Windex. I use armor all on plastic. My only problem is that the wax builds up on my head light shields and i cant get it off. I use a shop Vac and have a brush for keeping my carpet clean. I have extra old rugs laid down so my kid's don't wipe out my carpet.
I put a little dishwashing soap in my window washing tank. I add some alcohol in the winter. And my van stays pretty nice looking. I'll admit it isn't as shiny as a hand waxed job from someone who spends a lot of time cleaning.But water beads off my van.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:22 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
You don't want to clay every time you wash since it strips wax. Clay works great for windows. I also use Klasse All In One for windows. Makes it look brand new, no streaks or anything. Removes water spots also. And very easy to apply. Wipe on, wipe off. No need to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive