Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 AM

9,128 posts, read 14,683,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
EXACTLY!

There is a reason why the manual states the oil change schedule it does.

Of course, you could listen to those claiming to know better, what with all their years of automotive engineering and such.

Follow the manufacturers recommended schedule. If you follow the advice of others, always make sure they are there if things go wrong. Then see how many are still willing to play.

I don't know anything about Hondas and whether they have special break-in oils or not, but the manual should address that. I will tell you that blindly believing that everything in the manual is written by engineers who have the customer's best interest in mind is probably not right either. Marketing, initial cost, service cost, warranty cost and many other things factor in. Keep in mind that once the warranty is up, the car maker or dealer are done.

On the other hand, these days, oils are much better and engines much better than 20-30-40 years ago. So, going a few miles over is not like some switch that will kill your car and if there is a break-in oil, changing 20% too early is probably not going to hurt it either as most of the wearing in is long since done anyway. Like in the first few hundred miles really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,274,526 times
With the Honda system, you do not need to change it with the oil life that you have left. At 15%, you need to have the oil changed, and the Acura dealer I use will not change oil early. If you are at 50%, it is too early to consider changing the oil, especially with the factory oil in the system. Follow Honda's recommendations, but I would go on vacation and not worry about changing the oil.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 AM

8,619 posts, read 10,996,451 times
I don't buy that the 1st factory oil is "special" oil. Any link to prove this?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NckSplosion View Post
Hey, everybody. I have a '13 Civic with about 3800 miles on it so far. Nothing but fairly light-footed driving.

We're going on vacation to Ohio (425 miles there, about 100 miles worth of driving around, 425 miles back) in the next couple weeks.

I should have 4000 miles on the day we leave. I'm wondering if I should change the oil before we go. According to Honda, the oil is to be changed every 5000 miles. Even at 3800 miles, the maintenance info in the car says my oil life is at 60%.

Should I play it safe and change it, or should I just wait until I get back? I REALLY don't want to mess my car up. Any advice is appreciated.
i always change the oil in my cars before going on a long trip.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Your car and engine are at a critical point in life. I'd change the filter + oil just to be on the safe side.

You've got everything to gain and nothing to lose by changing
The engine is still breaking in. Changing oil too early slows the break-in process. If the engine manufacturer wanted it changed early they would say so.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,031,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i always change the oil in my cars before going on a long trip.
Why?

Long trips are typically highway driving. That is the easiest type of driving for an engine. Constant speeds, good cooling of the engine, few starts, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM

62 posts, read 80,035 times
Maybe I'll call the service department first. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,717,808 times
That's what you really need to do. As you can see, opinions on here are all over the place. Let us know what they say.

Don

Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,896,245 times
My goodness, is it that difficult?

Here:

Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ | Honda Owners Site

and right from Honda:

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

Now, what is all that difficult to understand or believe and why would anyone listen to all the various opinions from those who:

1. Don't know
2. Didn't build the car
3. Aren't going to service the warranty
4. Pay up if something goes wrong
5. Think they now more than the people who designed and built the car?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,896,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I don't buy that the 1st factory oil is "special" oil. Any link to prove this?
Now do you believe?

Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ | Honda Owners Site

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive