Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,373,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
In the short term, most people don't have a choice about driving to work. But, that's not true for everybody. There are a great many people who could choose to take transit or car pool or work from home if gas gets too expensive. In the long run, there may be a considerable number of people who would switch jobs or switch living places to make a shorter commute if the cost of driving gets high.
Of course they do.

Ditch the car and ride a bike. Take the bus. Take the train. Carpool.

The average American is spending way too much money, time, and stress in a car. But hey, let 'em suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

ride a bike.
Peddle 10 miles? In rain?

Quote:
take the bus
There are none.
Quote:

Take the train.
What train?
Quote:
Carpool.
Don't know anybody going my way.
[/quote]

You forgot staying home.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,016,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

There are none.

What train?

Don't know anybody going my way.
You forgot staying home.[/quote]

It's no coincidence that after gas prices went up and stayed up house prices in the far out areas never recovered. Whereas house prices closer in are back to, or nearly back to where they were before the recession.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,538,472 times
Quote:
There are none.

What train?
For increasing gas prices to lead to less traffic doesn't require that everybody who drives to work have available alternative transportation. Only that some people who currently drive do have available alternative transportation.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM

4,619 posts, read 12,227,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You forgot staying home.

It's no coincidence that after gas prices went up and stayed up house prices in the far out areas never recovered. Whereas house prices closer in are back to, or nearly back to where they were before the recession.
I knew several people who bought inexpensive homes in the central valley in California that commuted into the SF bay area for work. When gas hit $4 in 2007 some let these homes go into foreclosure, because they couldn't afford the doubling of their gas bill. Tax revenues for some of these cities were slashed in cities like Stockton were home prices dropped well over 50%.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
Quote:
People ride their bikes 10+ miles in the rain all the time. There are large groups of them daily riding from Issaquah, WA to the Microsoft Campus in Redmond. I also see people riding bikes across the I90 bridge every day, rain or shine (though more in summer). I personally prefer the bus just because I can relax and
not have to deal with stop & go traffic, regardless of gas prices. For those without bike, bus, or train options, there is still the carpool and van pool.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,371,097 times
In my experience, the ones who complain the loudest about gas prices fall into two categories:
1) Owners of gas guzzlers. No sympathy there
2)People who are always on the go. Staying at home is torture for them. I have a niece that goes to Omaha for a new outfit almost weekend or out to eat.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 12,227,333 times
I took this last Thursday in San Francisco. The highest price was $4.86.9

Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,248,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As for me, not to boast, but I save my pickup truck for out of town journeys and ride my bike most places under 20 miles.
It's about 3.50 for the regular stuff over here where I'm at.
It's $3.38 over here at Lubbock.

As I own a home in Albuquerque, I've noticed that New Mexico has been slightly higher in gas prices than Texas in the last few years. The two states use to have the same tax on gasoline but that may have changed since I looked at it.

I only have a 17 year old 1/2 ton pickup (small v8 and 4x4) simply because I need it here on this west Texas farm. However, being retired I probably use less gasoline than most Prius owners. I'm a bit too old for two wheeled vehicles but, except for the occasional high winds, most of the High Plains is a great place for motorcycles.

As gasoline eats up a greater part of a family's income, I believe people will simply take it out of some other part of their budget if they can. I did as I quit buying new, or even new/used vehicles and have almost quit traveling.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:51 PM

80 posts, read 98,741 times
The futures price for oil dropped over 2% today... WTI Crude closed at 85.14 and Brent Crude at 89.39

There is a correlation with the prices that we pay for finished gasoline.

How low can we go?

Will this finally break the nearly four year national average of $3.30 per gallon?

chart source: Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive