Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,821 times

Advertisements

Do you recommend buying out a lease? I have 2012 Nissan Quest minivan, and the lease is up in March 2015. I am over the miles (have 51,800 miles on it). And it's not a vehicle I want to keep for the long haul. I am ready to down size some to a midsized SUV.

That said, we are trying to pay off student loans and some other debt. We are thinking about buying out the remainder of the lease (~$20k or so) and just keep the minivan for a couple of more years, and focusing on other debts. Then in a couple of years, getting what I really want (currently an Acura MDX or Infinity QX60).

Trying to figure out the best course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,798,292 times
Since you have the vehicle and know all that it has, get the True Market Value(TMV) first and then decide !!!

Used Cars: For Sale, Appraisals & Certified Pre-Owned | Edmunds.com

Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
I believe nissan charges .15 cents per mile over the limit. You're currently just shy of 52,000miles. Calculate the mileage you may have come time to turn it in. If you're looking at a few thousand dollars, then check to see what your residual buy out price is vs the current market value for your vehicle. Only then will you know if it makes sense to pay the penalties to turn it in or keep and finance the balance.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I believe nissan charges .15 cents per mile over the limit. You're currently just shy of 52,000miles. Calculate the mileage you may have come time to turn it in. If you're looking at a few thousand dollars, then check to see what your residual buy out price is vs the current market value for your vehicle. Only then will you know if it makes sense to pay the penalties to turn it in or keep and finance the balance.

This is correct.

Hopefully the OP is on a 15,000 per year lease. Just a guess but I bet she is going to be over. Start saving now because I am guessing you will want to dump your van which means you are going to have to pay somewhere around 2000 to walk away.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
This is correct.

Hopefully the OP is on a 15,000 per year lease. Just a guess but I bet she is going to be over. Start saving now because I am guessing you will want to dump your van which means you are going to have to pay somewhere around 2000 to walk away.
I know there's around a $350 turn in fee + extra mileage + excess damage. This can add up depending on the factors.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Also, if you re-lease with them, you can get them to wave some of the mileage overage and damage ( in the event there is some damage). Not to mention it saves you from having to pay a turn in fee.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:12 AM

I'm on a 15,000 mile lease. And we negotiated the over miles charge down to 10cents or lower (It be as low as 8 cents). The only "damage" I have is where a rock bounced up and chipped the paint on my hood, then Bounced up and put a tiny chip in the windshield (you can see the trajectory). I'm trying to figure out how to fix my hood without it costing major money. The chip is about the size of my pinky nail, but it's right in the middle of my hood, and my car is white, so you see it. No other scratches or damage to the vehicle. Oh, i do have a small year that has started on the arm rest, about 1/2" long where I out my elbow when driving. I just put new tires on it as well (others were dangerously worn down).

Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM

The only vehicle I would be interested in getting from Nissan now is the new Pathfinder. And I won't re-lease, I would purchase it. I know they are known for transmission issues, so not sure I want to go that route.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The hood is likely to have to be repaint ;the windshield replaced and the tear recovered. insurance should have covered the hood and windshield under damage other than collision with deductible in policy. Likely would have been cheaper than otherwise in paying full cost to repair. The tear is out of pocket likely on that new a vehicle.Remember the repairs have to be according to a standard. of industry.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I'm on a 15,000 mile lease. And we negotiated the over miles charge down to 10cents or lower (It be as low as 8 cents). The only "damage" I have is where a rock bounced up and chipped the paint on my hood, then Bounced up and put a tiny chip in the windshield (you can see the trajectory). I'm trying to figure out how to fix my hood without it costing major money. The chip is about the size of my pinky nail, but it's right in the middle of my hood, and my car is white, so you see it. No other scratches or damage to the vehicle. Oh, i do have a small year that has started on the arm rest, about 1/2" long where I out my elbow when driving. I just put new tires on it as well (others were dangerously worn down).
Check the guidline for vehicle damage on lease returns. You are allowed some damage. I believe it has to be larger than the size of a golfball per panel before you have to pay out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive