Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,088 times

Advertisements

I had to drive from northern Virginia to North Chicago several months back. My prep work and packing list included:

I've heard of some getting a vehicle checkup when driving from DC to Utah. For driving 12 hours, unless your car is more "beat down", it shouldn't be necessary if you've been keeping up on maintenance. If you do end up getting routine maintenance like an oil change, I guess you could mention that you're doing a long trip so they know to look for certain things. OTOH, be wary if your shop isn't as honest and will try to nickel and dime you on new "problems" that they suddenly found.

I probably could've done my trip in a single, day drive, but I ended up driving 8-something hours, getting a hotel (in Indiana, they ranged in price from $50 to $100/night. It's an expense, but as some have pointed out, know when you need to rest up. I ended up playing it safer), and then doing the rest of the 3-something hours the next morning. Another thing with me was I needed to sort of unpack when I got there, which was harder to do late at night. If you can just get to your destination and crash, then 1-day could work.

-Cash - Minimum $40, but $80 to be on the safer side. This is to account for the tollways in case they don't take credit. PE, OH, and IN tollways went for around $10, $16.50, and $16 respectively. IIRC, some of them did take credit. Other cash is in case you stop by a gas station that does NOT take credit card. I filled up using rest stop gas stations along those major parkways, and was able to pay with credit. My dad suggested $200, but that seemed a bit extreme to me. The rest for other cash expenses. Oh, for NJ, you may end up paying for NJ Turnpike or Garden State Parkway. Have coins prepared for the latter.

-bottled water. You can fill it up along restroom water fountains. If you don't use it, better to be safe than sorry
-food. Granola bars, bread, something you can eat to hold you over in case the timing doesn't work out with stopping for food. I doubt you'll need this, but again, better to be safe than sorry.

-Print out the directions in getting to your place - in case your GPS/cellphone can't get signal all the sudden, you can still follow a set of paper instructions. I used to put it in my PDA so that it's available offline too

-phone charger - esp. if you use your phone a lot. Even if no smartphone nor GPS, it's nice to know you could make phone calls.
-if you have an MP3 player, a charger for that.

-dress for both warm and cold weather. Bring a light jacket, socks and shoes in case that 70d weather turns into 40d weather with winds.

ENJOY THE SCENIC VIEWS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
What kind of car do you have? What's the condition of the tires? Have you top off all the fluid? Like radiator fluid?

Being prepare with all the emergency stuff is good, but preparing your car is more important.

If your car is good, safe and ready to gas and go, you won't need al the other stuff.
I am a big fan of AAA. I think any person who road trip should have it.

12 hr trip is easy. Leave at 5am. By noon. Your half way. By 5-6 pm. You arrive for dinner.

Ladies. Always always stop at a bright lit and busy gas station. Always be seen.
Leaving at 5 am was my plan!

I drive a Kia Soul and actually just got my oil changed today! I don't know if it was necessary since I've only driven 700 miles since February.

BUT, it gave me the chance to get everything else checked out as well.

Thanks for the response! I've received some responses and things I wouldn't have even considered!! So thank you.

And YES, it's a big deal to me. Whether I'm a woman or not..I barely drive to begin with.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:47 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times
If it hasn't been mentioned...........since you don't have a spare........get a can of Fix a Flat in addition to AAA it's $10 insurance.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Basically if your car has been well maintained tire pressure is correct phone charged just get in the car and drive to your destination, almost every exit has anything you might need, if you get tired take a nap.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Default Woman driving solo from Chicago to NJ. What to pack in car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Hi there!

I'm driving long distance from Chicago to NJ this upcoming weekend. I know I have to get my oil changed before then, but what else should I be doing? Is there anything else special I should pack? I don't have a car kit prepared and wanted to know if there were essentials, besides a cooler, of course.

It's approximately a 12 hour drive. Should I drive straight through or stop overnight?

Thanks!
I've made lots of long road trips and a 12 hr drive is a long day, but easily doable in a single day.

Items that you should have with you in your vehicle:

1. Good flashlight with fresh batteries
2. 1st aid kit
3. package of kleenex
4. cooler with water/soft drinks
5. energy drinks
6. umbrella and/or rain poncho
7. audiobook - an interesting story makes the time pass more smoothly

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,953,533 times
I like Kia soul. Small cute suv. Take those dancing mouse to keep you company.
i am sure you ll be fine. You got a new car. Just gas and go.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times
You should be fine. Try driving through parts of the west where you may not find gas stations for hundreds of miles

Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 AM

552 posts, read 831,374 times
See, for a lone woman, a firearm is almost a necessity driving that long of a distance. I understand everyone is like " she's driving during the day...blah blah blah"...

But in a scenario where her car breaks down on the side of the road ( during the day), you have to wait for AAA to get to you. During that time you're a sitting duck. If anyone comes up to you pretending to help, wouldn't you feel more secure if you had a firearm with you. Sure, most people are good, but by chance if a bad guy approaches you ( especially in a place you are not familiar with), what are you doing to do? Roll up the windows and lock the door? Easy enough to break the car windows with a rock.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Leaving at 5 am was my plan!

And YES, it's a big deal to me. Whether I'm a woman or not..I barely drive to begin with.

I drove the NJ to Wisconsin along Route 80 trip both ways not too many years ago. It's boring. My husband doesn't drive but he is at least company. I absolutely would not plan this trip in one day. Although it might be doable, it is unwise. As one or two other posters mentioned, there is traffic - and you will hit it - Indiana was pretty heavy during the day - and Ohio wasn't too far behind, as I recall. Trucks. Trucks and more trucks. And lest we forget those wonderful vacation drivers: the ones who cause accidents because they are not used to heavy driving, driving in traffic, or on interstates with lots of big trucks.

You state:
Quote:
I barely drive to begin with.
I drive, a lot. I have driven the 2 day trip between SW TN and NNJ several times; S FL to NNJ, and the trip mentioned above, among many others. I am comfortable driving in heavy traffic (NYC to DC) and the Route 80 corridor. If you aren't used to it, do try to avoid it during late afternoon or any of the rush hour stretches. Rush hours in the area of eastern PA through NJ begins around 7 am and isn't over until after 9:30; and in the afternoon, 4:00 to 7:30. You'll notice the "diamond lanes" on route 80 in NJ has the restriction from 4-7.

What to take car-wise: AAA/AARP or any other roadside assistance. Bottle of water - for the car! - can of oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid. And a tire inflator.

As someone else mentioned, pull over for a power nap of as little as 15 minutes if you need. Route 80 has a ton of safe places to stop. Lock yourself in the car.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,442,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
kleenes
band aids
pain releiver
Allergy meds
wet wipes
napkins or paper towels
lip balm
knife
screwdriver
tire gauge
flashlight
blanket
AAA membership card

Do NOT go without a spare tire and jack/tool kit, if you tell me where you are and what year, make and model I can find you a used one near you for cheap.
LOL. I'm a pro long drive road tripper and a woman. It never occurred to me to pack those 'non essentials'.

All I did was go to my dealer coz I am still under warranty and told them to change my oil and top off everything if necessary and check my tire pressure because I am going on a road trip.

Well, what happen was my temp gauge blinked to high. So fortunately I was already on 'civilization'. I just googled the nearest dealer where I was. And they took care of it for free since it's still under warranty.

Since I want to save money, what I did was just sleep in my car at the truck stop. and just clean up in their bathroom in the morning.

What happened though was my battery went dead coz I was using my battery to power up my hacked GPS that I made like a smartphone where I can go online and surf the web.

I just asked people around if they can jumpstart me. A young handsome local guy did help me he was so sweet.

I also had an experience where my car got stuck on sand. I can't get out!!! I honestly can't fathom how my 2 guardian angels spotted me having car trouble. I swear where I was at, you have to be looking on the side to see me.

But ya they helped me got out. They are my 2 good samaritans. For sure.

Other than that, I love driving by myself just me and my MINI and the road and my music and my GPS!!! Ahhh.. FREEDOM!

I ddn't pack anything. For one I don't like eating in my car. I always stop to eat to whatever fast food I can find. If I eat in my car I limit it to fiber one bars and soda or water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive