Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 07:29 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times

Advertisements

So bought our new Forester about a year ago. Bought it with 9 miles on it. We have never serviced the car at any shop.

The other day was detailing the car and saw wheel weights on the car. Found this odd as I assumed they didn't need to be balanced when built new from manufacturer. Thought they balanced with high/low points from tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:35 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
I'm not sure I follow the logic as to how the car being brand new would eliminate the variances in weight/mass distribution that necesitate wheel balancing. It's still a wheel that likely has a few imperfections, as does the tire that gets mounted on it.

Mike

Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
My new F150 has wheel weights as does the '10 Forester which has never had a tire off a wheel, so they're original.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Brand new wheels and tires need balancing.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
All wheels and tires need balancing. They are not in perfect balance even when brand new.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Good to know

Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
So bought our new Forester about a year ago. Bought it with 9 miles on it. We have never serviced the car at any shop.

The other day was detailing the car and saw wheel weights on the car. Found this odd as I assumed they didn't need to be balanced when built new from manufacturer. Thought they balanced with high/low points from tires.
Subaru didn't make the tires. They probably didn't make the wheels. Tires are molded from rubber and steel. It is almost impossible to make a balanced tire.

New from the factory or not a wheel/tire combination must be balanced. When you replace the tire eventually you will buy a new one. The wheel/tire combination will have to be balanced again.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

If you really mean that it has never been serviced by any shop in approximately one year, I hope you realize that you have voided the warranty--at least as it pertains to the engine.

Subaru's oil change schedule is "every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first". For reasons that I cannot fathom, many people can't seem to understand the either/or and the "whichever comes first" proviso, and instead focus strictly on odometer mileage.

The result of that failure to comprehend the information has--in many cases--led to severe engine sludging for folks who drive only locally and who accumulate miles very slowly. That type of usage is actually the worst thing that you can do to an engine, and under those circumstances, the oil should be changed every 6 months, regardless of how few miles were driven in that time span.

So...instead of worrying about the absolutely normal presence of balancing weights on your wheels, you should worry about what you have done to the engine and to your warranty protection.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
You can get perfectly balanced wheels and tires from the factory... but expect to pay >$150k for a new car to have that, and it'll be an exotic sports car.

Wheels are easier to make balanced than tires, but tires can be inherently balanced too, but usually you only see this on low profile tires with a very narrow sidewall.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

If you really mean that it has never been serviced by any shop in approximately one year, I hope you realize that you have voided the warranty--at least as it pertains to the engine.

Subaru's oil change schedule is "every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first". For reasons that I cannot fathom, many people can't seem to understand the either/or and the "whichever comes first" proviso, and instead focus strictly on odometer mileage.

The result of that failure to comprehend the information has--in many cases--led to severe engine sludging for folks who drive only locally and who accumulate miles very slowly. That type of usage is actually the worst thing that you can do to an engine, and under those circumstances, the oil should be changed every 6 months, regardless of how few miles were driven in that time span.

So...instead of worrying about the absolutely normal presence of balancing weights on your wheels, you should worry about what you have done to the engine and to your warranty protection.

Meaning I do it myself. Why would I take it to the shop for a simple oil change. Nice of you to jump the gun there.

I use OEM oil filters and Pennzoil 0W-20 Full Synthetic Oil. Thanks for your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive