Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times

Advertisements

We decided after 14 years of driving a large SUV (Expedition) to down size to a small SUV. Besides not needing the space of the larger SUV now (2 kids in college 1 in high school) we really wanted to drive something with better fuel economy. We departed with the following cars on our list. VW Toureg. Ford Edge. Audi Q5. Mazda CX9. Infinity/or Nissan Murano or the like. It being Sunday we discovered most dealerships were closed in our area. We were able to look on the lots. We quickly discovered the cars we chose to look at were not greatly more fuel efficient than what we have. We switched gears and were able to test drive the Tiguan and The New Rogue. Loved the way he Tiguan drove but the seats seemed small/narrow to me. I wasn't thrilled that to get power seats we basically had to jump up $10k in price. The rogue was definitely roomier inside but the finishes seem cheap. We looked at Honda, Toyota on the lots and came up with the same conclusion. We looked at the 2015 Mazda CX5. It looked nice on the lot.

We are heading out early tomorrow to continue our search. I have searched the forums and everyone seems to Bach VW on here. We owned two before back in the 90's and they were great cars.

I read on here Mazda cx5 lacks power. I'm wondering if the 2015 has improved (that is what they are selling on the lot)

What other cars in the $30-40 price range with good fuel economy can we look at. We won't do Chevy, Jeep , Chrysler.

We do want an SUV as I've got back issues and it is significantly easier for me to get in and out of a higher car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Well since your Expedition is paid off and if it does not need any major work/repairs might as well keep it and look for a fun to drive sporty mid-size sedan/coupe instead OP

Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would look at the Toyota Highlander, Acura RDX, or if you do not mind a certified pre-owned, an MDX, as the newer MDX will be in the mid $40k+ range. You might also consider a CPO Lexus RX 350, as well. I would take a used Acura or Lexus over a new Volkswagen Tiguan any day of the week. You would not be looking to trade a Tiguan after 14 years of ownership as you are with the Expedition -- it would be sooner. If you want a small, non-luxury SUV, the Honda CR-V is a very good vehicle to consider.

The Lexus is very comfortable, and tuned as such, not for sport, but you would need to look at one that's 1-2 years old to stay within your preferred price range. The RDX is a five seater, while the MDX will seat seven with a small third row, and both are tuned for a mixture of performance and luxury. The Highlander is a three-row SUV as well, and is a comfortable family cruiser. To get an appreciable mileage increase in that category, you could look for an RX or Highlander hybrid as both have been out for a few years, and are based upon Toyota's proven hybrid technology. A 1-2 year old RX 450h that is CPO should be around the high $30k-low $40k range, and the Highlander hybrid should be in the $30s, depending upon trim level.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
2015 Subaru Outback. As long as you don't need a "true" backcountry-capable 4WD, the AWD Outback would do great. As others have noted, if the Expedition doesn't have major issues, you could keep it, too.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Only thing we found with space we needed was mini van that got any mileage improvement. Now days makers are into every weight loss they can do to get mileage. Most even use electric power steering assist now days to unload that from engine. We ended up with Honda Odyssey as family vehicle and love it on trips. Once you start to age that leg room; not sitting as flat on floorboards ;not feeling like your almost rubbing shoulders makes a big difference on trips.Small SUVs and crossovers just seem to crapped to us when use to more room to move around and relax for a few miles better. Good luck

Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Define "good" fuel economy. If you're willing to spend up to 40k on an SUV, that gives you a LOT of choices. We have an Acura MDX (2009) which would run you around $30-35k or so for the model we have with Technology and Sport packages, and we also have a Porsche Cayenne S (2006) which is probably around $25k or so. Both are excellent SUVs. The Acura obviously gets better gas mileage than the Cayenne, (V6 vs V8) but the Cayenne does have a V6 option as well. The Acura has more luxury features standard. The Cayenne (and to a lesser extent, the Touareg) have a more sporty feel to them.

We get about 20-21mpg with the MDX and about 17-18 with the Cayenne. For the V6 Cayenne or Touareg, figure about 19-20mpg.

Both have very comfortable seats, but I'd give the nod to the Cayenne for being more supportive. Suspension is firmer on the Cayenne, even though our MDX has the Sport package with electronically adjustable suspension. The Acura wins hands down on luxury appointments as standard though. For steering feel, the Cayenne/Touareg are top notch, being all wheel drive. The MDX (the 2007-2013 models at least) suffer from some torque steer. The 2014 models do not.

All in all, we are happy with both of them, as they each serve a slightly different purpose for our family. For long trips with the kids, it would be the MDX for the rear entertainment system and 7 passenger ability. For driving around town, or running errands, I prefer the Cayenne as its just more fun to drive while still being able to seat 5 comfortably and haul things.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
We definitely want an SUV and not a van or sedan. As far as gas mileage we get about 14mpg on our 2004 expedition. We are not getting rid of the Expedition just yet. My husband will drive it to and from work as he does very limitd driving. I on the other hand drive much more.

The Subaru is not as luxurious as I would like. It was pretty bare bones.

I would say the mileage average needs to he at least 20mpg or above.

To the last poster. I'm assuming the pricing you are giving is for the used year you are mentioning? The MDX on the lot today we looked at was $47k. The Toureg was $52k or the TDI just under $60k (that was some serious sticker shock) the VW salesman told us the Toureg compared to the Audi q7 while the Tiguan compared to the q5. When we went over to Audi I did not agree with that. ford edge and explorers were both at $42k. The Nissan Murano was at $48k and the Rogue $28k. The cx5 was at $30k.

Amenities I would like, panoramic sunroof, leather seats, heated seats, rear sensors or camera. Premium stereo, auxiliary/blue tooth, power memory seats, daytime running lights, complete air bag coverage. I really don't feel like that list is over the top. However it seems to get one simple thing like leather seats for example I also have to get say navigation. So instead of it bumping up say $1500 it bumps up several thousand.

We are not opposed to buying a dealer car or used car with very low mileage.

I think tomorrow we will try to test drive the cx5 Audi q5 and ford edge for sure.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
my advice is to look at anything that peaks your curiosity, regardless of brand. narrow your vehicle choices down to three or four cars that you like best. and remember to reject ANY cars that have something you really dont like. the car with the narrow seats for instance, cross it off our list. you might like the car as a whole now, but those narrow seats will bug you down the road and you will end up hating the car.

once you have you list of three to four cars, then go rent one for a weekend. take it everywhere. do the same with each car on your list. this will give you a good idea if you can live with these cars long term, and you get to do it without a salesman leaning over your shoulder pushing you to buy the car.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:46 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Yes, those are used prices I gave. Check out a 2010-2013 MDX. (Avoid the brand new '14 models, I have a friend who works for Acura and he's told me that there are quite a few problems with them as a first year redesign.) Not sure pano roof is an option on the MDX though I know it is available on the Cayenne and I would assume the Touareg as well. For all the options you want, the 2007-2013 MDX will have all of that if you get the Technology package. The 2010 and up models with the Advance package will also give you ventilated (heated and cooled) seats.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
We definitely want an SUV and not a van or sedan. As far as gas mileage we get about 14mpg on our 2004 expedition. We are not getting rid of the Expedition just yet. My husband will drive it to and from work as he does very limitd driving. I on the other hand drive much more . . .
To me the obvious question is, what would you need two SUVs for? If you feel you still need an SUV for limited commuting and hauling duties, you'll still have the Expedition to do it with. If the main duty for your second vehicle is long commutes for a solo driver and no passengers and your emphasis is on fuel economy, an SUV is about the least ideal vehicle for the task. Get a conventional compact or mid-sized passenger car. They routinely get 30-some mpg on the highway these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive