Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

It amazes me that some people never look at their tach. If you're running 5k rpm while cruising 60 mph you should know there's a problem somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It amazes me that some people never look at their tach. If you're running 5k rpm while cruising 60 mph you should know there's a problem somewhere.
That seemed to be normal for the Nissan Versa I drove with CVT. In the regular 'D' mode, it would randomly feel like cruising at 5K rpm for no apparent reason.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
What type of vehicle? Most vehicles, "S" mode just raises the shift points and makes the shifts a bit more firm.
This.
All "s" mode is, is a sportier automatic mode that changes the shift points to hold a gear longer during acceleration and keep it in the power band for sportier driving. The worst you did was use a little extra gas.
And I know my car will let me use the paddles regardless of which mode I'm in.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am pretty positive ALL shiftable automatic transmissions automatically - pun intended - revert to normal operation after yey much time of S mode not used. You be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It is all computer controlled, don't sweat it- no harm no foul. The only thing it primarily does is change the shift points and might rarely go into the highest overdrive gear. Certainly you would notice if you were stuck in manual only mode and started bumping off the rev limiter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
What type of vehicle? Most vehicles, "S" mode just raises the shift points and makes the shifts a bit more firm.
Every vehicle is different, there is no constant as there are indeed plenty of autos that will not shift to a higher gear and will run on the rev limiter until it runs out of gas if you do not shift it yourself.

For example many Toyotas will default to the highest non overdrive gear when "S" is selected and will not upshift out of that highest non overdrive gear on their own. In the same vehicles if you, go a step further and select lower gears, say 1st gear, it will indeed just keep bumping on the limiter until either the driver shifts the gear or it runs out of fuel.

Another, the C7 Corvette, "S" is directly behind "D". If you pull all the way back on the shifter which will select "S", it will bump the rev limiter in 1st gear all day until the driver selects an upshift.

Again, every vehicle is different, so the quoted statements are incorrect as a whole.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
I said "most" not all.

The rev limiters are set low enough that it's not going to hurt anything. All of the manufacturers run their engines at the rev limiter for a very long time to make sure things don't break.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Mine wasn't "incorrect as a whole" either. I stated the same thing you said; Sport mode changes the shift points (might also hold gears more on curves and hills) it won't go into overdrive, or rarely so, and if you are in manual mode- different than sport mode- it won't shift automatically and you'll be bumping off the rev limiter. Of course there is going to be different programming and some different nuances per manufacturer but that's the general description of almost every manumatic style transmission.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Mine wasn't "incorrect as a whole" either. I stated the same thing you said; Sport mode changes the shift points (might also hold gears more on curves and hills) it won't go into overdrive, or rarely so, and if you are in manual mode- different than sport mode- it won't shift automatically and you'll be bumping off the rev limiter. Of course there is going to be different programming and some different nuances per manufacturer but that's the general description of almost every manumatic style transmission.

What vehicle does the OP have? "S" does not necessarily mean "sport". It can stand for sequential or something similar in some cars and it could indeed be just bumping the limiter in 1st or another gear all day long. Assuming that the OP would notice is assuming alot. I see people running on the rev limiter almost every day without realizing it at the track or in driver/LEO training. So you are indeed wrong about "every one being computer controlled and just changing shift points etc. so no harm no foul". Many cars in "S" mode REMOVE the shift points. Damage could certainly occur. Ive actually seen an engine go pop and set a brand new car on fire because of it before.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:50 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
What vehicle does the OP have? "S" does not necessarily mean "sport". It can stand for sequential or something similar in some cars and it could indeed be just bumping the limiter in 1st or another gear all day long. Assuming that the OP would notice is assuming alot. I see people running on the rev limiter almost every day without realizing it at the track or in driver/LEO training. So you are indeed wrong about "every one being computer controlled and just changing shift points etc. so no harm no foul". Many cars in "S" mode REMOVE the shift points. Damage could certainly occur. Ive actually seen an engine go pop and set a brand new car on fire because of it before.
Let's be realistic. The OP wasn't racing. He was driving it normally including 45 minutes on the highway. No one is going to be bouncing off the rev-limiter in 1st gear while driving around town and not notice it. And first gear is good for maybe 45 mph? I doubt he was going that slow on the highway.

It's possible the car didn't shift into overdrive, so he used a little more gas than usual. That's about it.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM

If you think that there are NOT millions of drivers on the road that would and/or DO not not notice when they are stuck in one gear and/or on the rev limiter, you obviously have not seen .0001 % of the drivers that Ive seen. Making that assumption without KNOWING the OP is optimistically foolish. We have millions of horrible drivers in the U.S. who do MUCH more obvious and foolish things than that EVERY day.

You say its not "realistic", I say Ive seen it hundreds of times,
Even from cops/LEOs on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive