Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Hmm maybe look at a 2007-current Mitsubishi Lancer SE/GTS AWD they are as fun and reliable as a Subaru WRX and cost 1/2 the price on the used market and are a great bang for the buck AWD Sporty mid-size Sedan.
I didn't think the lancer came with awd unless it was an EVO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I didn't think the lancer came with awd unless it was an EVO
The GTS is a detuned EVO with a less aggressive AWD system in GTS, SE and Ralliart trim(s) then again we get different models/optioned Lancers here in Canada and AWD is a huge selling point so it might just be our Canadian market only models

Old 07-01-2014, 08:54 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
awd is not mandatory, just would be a nice add on. not factoring that into a car purchase. have driven in mn my whole life without an AWD.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
AWD is expensive to repair when it fails. The transmission in my sister's Legacy failed and cost over $5k to replace.

It may be pushing it, but if you could find a "certified" (CPO) Sonata it would be a good deal. CPO cars still keep the 10yr/100k factory powertrain warranty. Even if you found one for $16,995 I bet you could still haggle it down to $15k.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
age of OP? get insurance quotes before you buy...always.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
age of op? Get insurance quotes before you buy...always.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
What is the most common car driven in your area? That might give you an indication of a good choice. Also, it might be good to see what sort of mechanics you have available. Getting a car that can't be worked on or doesn't have parts available isn't very useful. Although, we live in a rural area, so if you're in town, then there's probably more options available to you.

$15K seems like a lot for a car. It's just going to depreciate down to nothing eventually. Getting an older car that's already depreciated is always good, IMHO. If you are looking for a car that makes some sort of personal statement, then a vintage something or other might be an idea. Frequently, those cars are much easier to work on, too, and no special tools are required. We have a kit car that's a fiberglass 1952 MGTD body on a VW frame/motor and that thing is actually economical to keep around. Ungawdly cute, too, although it probably wouldn't work in your area because the heater is marginal. It was inexpensive to buy, too, since it was found on Craig's List and needed a bit of work. But old cars like that are easy to work on.

Have you factored in the cost of use for the proposed new vehicles? Gas mileage, insurance, replacement parts, size of tires, etc?

For general transportation, the Japanese 4 cylinder relatively modern cars are pretty good. Honda Civics, Accords, etc. The Toyota Camry, etc. But, look around and see what's popular in your area. There will be a good support base for those particular cars and if you need parts used ones will be available and save you tons of money should you need them.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:00 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,884 times
For $15k, you might be hard pressed to find something current gen. I'd look at previous gen Accords or a previous gen Acura TL or recent TSX. All are reliable, fun to drive, and hold their value extremely well. The TL has a great sound system (one of OPs nice to haves).

I'm going to disagree on a Mitsubishi. Have you seen their resale value lately? Could be an orphaned brand here in the US in the next few years too if they don't turn things around.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM

174 posts, read 181,604 times
Send them the approval back and spend 2k-5k cash for a decent used car. Take the money used to make the payments if you were to accept the loan and save it for half the time and pay cash for the car you want in 2-3 years.

Just my opinion that car loans suck. Also not to mention the fact that most cars today are made to only last 5 years so they get you to get another car loan as soon as you are done with almost zero resale value. You might be happier with a pre China car like an 03 -05 model much better then the junk they sell today.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:09 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
^^^ thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive