Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times

Advertisements

A new Corvette is the bargain of roadsters. You can choose a targa with glass or painted, or full blown convertible.

Mazda makes the Miata for people that can't afford a new Corvette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:42 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Didn't they try it with the Chevy SSR? I hardly ever see one of those on the road.

That was more of a pick up truck retro style more than anything. I guess it was supposed to bring the excitement of hey look what we can do. Not a lot of functionality IMO. Style over function. But I guess it was not made as a mass market. More specialty than anything.
I think GM should of kept the Saturn Sky model in production under the caddy badge and compete with MB band BMW Make it really upscale and give it the ability to be a contender. Who makes roadsters today? Mazda Miata. Mercedes and BMW. If GM wants to go in the roadster business they should take a one hard look at Mazda and their model in that segment. GM tends to IMO do a that's good enough when they could take that extra step and catch maybe best the competition

Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I'd suggest that even if GM sold ten times the number of Corvettes it already does it is not going to affect the overall finances of the company that much.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Didn't they try it with the Chevy SSR? I hardly ever see one of those on the road.
The Chevy SSR was / is a fantastic, flawless and ageless vehicle, however, being built on a Trailblazer Truck Chassis with a big 6L V-8 engine, it probably does not meet VictimofGM's "two seater roadster" requirements.

. . . and, by the way, it was never considered "affordable".

Old 07-05-2014, 11:44 AM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
The SSR was about as niche as you can get, you won't find anyone under 60 driving the 6 or 7 they sold during production.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
A new Corvette is the bargain of roadsters. You can choose a targa with glass or painted, or full blown convertible.
or plain carbon fiber. The top and hood are carbon fiber on the C7 and you can get the top in clear coated carbon, clear/see through poly blend, or painted carbon.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
GM should spend their limited resources on transitioning their Chevy SS to the Alpha platform. Unfortunately i read that with Holden's demise the SS is going to be axed, which is a shame since it was one of the few sports sedans that could go toe-to-toe with a 335i (performance-wise). Ultimately, even by cutting costs on interior fit & finish, GM couldn't get the sticker price below $45k, which goes to show that powerful V8's, big brakes, finely-tuned chasis/suspension costs $$ and can't be delivered at a Camry price.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
The Chevy SSR was / is a fantastic, flawless and ageless cartoon character, however, being built on a Trailblazer Truck Chassis with a big 6L V-8 engine, it probably does not meet VictimofGM's "two seater roadster" requirements.

Fixed it for ya..

Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
The Chevy SSR was / is a fantastic, flawless and ageless vehicle, however, being built on a Trailblazer Truck Chassis with a big 6L V-8 engine, it probably does not meet VictimofGM's "two seater roadster" requirements.

They should of done 4 wheel IFS/IRS all wheel drive turbo charged or SC. If you're gonna go through the effort of making a niche vehicle go all the way.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Well with the new with new Chevy Colorado/Canyon mid-size PU truck they should make a modern GMC Syclone/ GMC Typhoon/Trailblazer SS those would sell and could compete with the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 and Ford Explorer Sport.

I mean that is something GM could do it with minimal R&D and since they already have the Brand new platform to build it off of it could bring down the costa for R&D and production as well and make it feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive