Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:57 PM

285 posts, read 534,090 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if continuing to drive with a failed a/c condenser and accumulator line can cause any damage to a car? (ie to the engine or other internal parts aside from the a/c?) I obviously do not turn the a/c or fan on, or else the car starts to overheat. I leave it turned off. I'm debating fixing it, but I already spent $1200 at another shop... They replaced the compressor and some other parts, but that wasn't the problem. Took it to the dealership and they immediately said it is the condenser. Really don't want to spend another $1200 and can live without a/c as I live on the coast where it's cooler... Just worried about whether the condenser has any other function aside from a/c? And if leaving it broken can damage the vehicle in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Just don't use the AC and you should be fine. The only other function is it protects your rad from rocks. lol

I'd go ahead and pull the fuse for it as an extra measure of safety.

What are you driving? Maybe you can find the parts at a junk yard.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You didn't say what vehicle. Modern ones will use the A/C whenever the defroster is on, to dry the air. That mneans it's trying to come on even without the AC being turned on. On some there is a belt just for the AC which can be removed, but not many, most share it with other needed devices such as the alternator. I would simply unplug the connector for the power to the compressor. Besides overheating it's reducing your fuel economy.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
A bad condenser will have zero affect on an engine. If you have decided that you don't want to spend any more money on repairs, you can disconnect the compressor by removing the belt. If you have to loosen or remove parts to remove the belt, just cut it off.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:31 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Does anyone know if continuing to drive with a failed a/c condenser and accumulator line can cause any damage to a car?

No

Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 PM

285 posts, read 534,090 times
Thank you!! It's a Lincoln Continental (2008) and I live in California so not much defrosting will be happening... I may still get it fixed, but I'd rather think it over and shop for a better deal if possible. At least I know I'm not damaging my car in the mean time. Got the whole 'doom and gloom' thing from the dealership and started to worry.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
Default Uh-Oh

Oops. Shows my age. I thought from the title you were talking about an ignition condenser. The car will die if that quits.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotocatmom View Post
Thank you!! It's a Lincoln Continental (2008) and I live in California so not much defrosting will be happening... I may still get it fixed, but I'd rather think it over and shop for a better deal if possible. At least I know I'm not damaging my car in the mean time. Got the whole 'doom and gloom' thing from the dealership and started to worry.
Of course they gave you the "gloom and doom" spiel. They don't make any money if you don't have them fix anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
Oops. Shows my age. I thought from the title you were talking about an ignition condenser. The car will die if that quits.
Yeah, that hardly ever happens. Mostly because very few cars with breaker point ignitions are driven on a daily basis, but even when they were the points would usually fail long before the condensor and most people replaced the condensor when they replaced the points since they were cheap and you had no way of knowing when the condensor might go.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
Yeah' even when I was driving breaker point cars every day in the 80's (I still have seven cars that use them) I never had an ignition failure. Even on my Dura-Sparkcars I've only lost one module.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
Pull the relay for the AC compressor in the fuse box and don't worry about it if you don't intend to get it fixed. That will stop the AC clutch from engaging (you won't have to play around with bypass pulleys, different belts, etc) when running it in defrost, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive