Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:09 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,843,874 times

Advertisements

I've been going back and forth for 2 weeks now. Lot of you guys walk into the dealer same day and are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 AM

287 posts, read 507,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I've been going back and forth for 2 weeks now. Lot of you guys walk into the dealer same day and are gone.
Everyone is different. I did my homework on two cars I was most interested in, test drove them both, and made a choice on the spot based on the incentives the one dealer was willing to offer. If I could go back, I would have tested another two or three cars, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
Literally?
I ask God, thank Him.
And bingo the only one around in 100 miles is right there when I look online
3 miles away...it is then in my driveway in a day...after they do what I want to it...
I ask for exactly what I want...expect it and...shazam.
(It wasn't always this way...but now I know how things work.)

Old 07-11-2014, 09:41 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,402,897 times
I do a lot of research on the internet before hand and call/email dealers to get the lowest price.

If I were in the market again, what I would like to do is go to Carmax and test drive 20 different models in one day.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,685,811 times
I research before hand and narrow down my list to a select few. Then when I go out and look at them I pick the one I like the most and drive it home. If I go out looking, I typically come home the same day with a vehicle.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM

19,104 posts, read 27,696,540 times
You can not "walk in and buy" someone who tells you this is either bs-ing you or regrets decision down the road.
Any quick - and successful! - purchase is always supported by previous lengthy research. And test drives. Nowadays, likely a lot of emails and phone calls. Folks simply don't boast about THAT period.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,722,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You can not "walk in and buy" someone who tells you this is either bs-ing you or regrets decision down the road.
Plenty of people do this regularly actually - there are lots of people who just don't care that much about cars, and walk in, pick a new vehicle off the lot, and leave with it. No research, no test drives, not much thought.

I know people who couldn't care less about cars, have been (for example) driving a Camry for 30 years, and just update the model every three years sight unseen. Even color is unimportant - they just want an appliance to get them around. They never wash the car, never replace the original tires, and only get oil changes.

On the other hand are those of us that do a lot of research, outline exactly what we want, and are willing to wait to get just what we want. Then, sometimes the car can fall into your lap, or sometimes it takes a while to find. I've gotten lucky with a desired car nearby and scooped it from other interested parties, and waited months for that perfect car to pop up 250 miles away.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 AM

21,921 posts, read 25,242,581 times
Took me a weekend to hit the big dealers. I'd done some research and had a basic idea of what I was looking for, decided the used car market was not worthwhile (cash for clunkers, carmaggedon -- used prices high, new prices low). Spent two days. Went to the Toyota, Scion, Honda, Mazda, Chevy, and Hyundai dealers. Drove the cars I was interested in. Picked the one I liked best and bought it. I didn't get the color I really wanted or the moonroof (which cost extra anyway), but it's what was available on the lot. Last model year with only the leftover Mazda3s available so not a whole lot to choose from.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,128,669 times
Depends on the car you are looking to buy. Some vehicles have a lot of competition in the marketplace, and it can take a long time to sort out the field of choices. Like midsize SUVs, there's a ton of options out there. Other cars, like sports cars or electric cars, there's obviously a far smaller number of choices, so picking one can take a lot less time if you know the basics of what you're looking for.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM

7,084 posts, read 8,968,401 times
The internet makes it a lot easier than personally going from one dealer to the other and all the small used car lots. My wife found her car online but the one she had before we went from one lot to the other and it took us week to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive