Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 PM

253 posts, read 654,869 times

Advertisements

Well, depends on why you need to buy the car? In my case, I had over 3k worth of repairs, and my car was over 9 years old. I *had* planned on getting a newer one of the same model, so when the repair bill came up, I just went ahead and sent out a number of emails to the dealers around me. Once I figured out the dealer I wanted to work with, I drove it home that night. But that's only because I already know what car I wanted? If you don't need to replace asap and are unsure what you want to get, then yes, take your time to test drive lots of cars to see which one you like. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:17 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I do a lot of research on the internet before hand and call/email dealers to get the lowest price.

If I were in the market again, what I would like to do is go to Carmax and test drive 20 different models in one day.
The cars I have researched on Carmax seem a bit pricey compared to other sites. I am actively seeking a new (or newer vehicle) and I have been browsing many different auto classified sites, with car gurus.com, autobytel, and cars.com being three of my favorites. What I like about car gurus.com is they show you the price history of the listed car, i.e, what the original listed price was, how many times the price has been lowered, how long it's been on the site, etc.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I've been going back and forth for 2 weeks now. Lot of you guys walk into the dealer same day and are gone.
I think everyone's situation is different; I did go to a dealer and drove off the lot in my (almost) new car that night, but before that I had done a lot of research online so I'd be ready to move when I found the right vehicle. I knew I'd be needing a car in the next year, so I talked to my financial institution about qualifying for a loan, determined what payments I'd be comfortable with, decided what was/wasn't negotiable, and things went from there.

Looking back it was kind of funny--my home A/C went out that night around 5 p.m. so of course nobody could come out till the next morning. I drove across town for dinner and took my time, enjoying the COOL A/C in my car. While at the restaurant, I got into a conversation with the owners about cars and they referred me to a guy at a place and voila! Went out for dinner in one car and came home in another one.

I still remember that drive home; I couldn't stop smiling.

My home A/C got fixed the next day, too.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:30 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
I wanted a Camaro, challenger, or a mustang. I did my homework for about six months because I was in no particular hurry. I studied everything about each over and over plus did the test drives, I had communication with various dealers in the area and outside of the area because I also wanted the right car for me at the right price. I was on the car lot that sunday evening when it was closed, I saw my car that evening just sitting there. I was just there the day before but I didn't see this car. So, I made sure I was back there first thing Monday to inquire about the car and I drove it home about 1:30 that day. A 2011 mustang GT premium in performance white with over the top black racing stripes. I been loving this from the time I drove it off the lot, great car, fun to drive , no issues to date, and I cant believe this car is still turning heads today. People are always asking me about this car or I get nice ride man all the time, I love it.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
I'm a budget minded person so it takes me a very, very long time to find a car. Trying to find that PERFECT deal. Lot's of time wasted, lots of time on the internet. Lots of changing mind, thinking, rethinking, and than changing my mind again. Yeah, freaking headache....plus, it's worst since I don't believe in paying retail price so I don't even bother with dealers, just private sellers.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:37 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Perhaps what the OP means is "paralysis by analysis". No car is a perfect fit. All involve compromises… features, price, reliability, performance, reputation. The fast and luxurious car is less reliable and more costly to maintain. The redoubtable stalwart is unattractive and boring to drive. The nimble car with telepathic handling is sorely lacking in low-end torque. The hot number depreciates quickly and is expensive to insure. The one with the best gas mileage has a lousy interior. I'd like the big engine, but it's only available with an options-package stuffed with bloatware. The basic car is a good deal, but I want a rare options-package that makes it a custom-order, whence the dealer won't deal. I was set on something, but the other day found a magazine article that mercilessly panned the car in question. It never ends!

We suffer from having too many options. If our only options were a Zhiguli or a Moskvitch, well, you pick one and put your name on the waiting-list.

Choosing a car is a bit like online dating; there are always more profiles to examine, so why settle on any of them? Instead, if the only choices were the neighboring farmer's daughter or a camel, pick the farmer's daughter (presumably) and start your life with her. Simple!
this is exactly my problem. too many options, paralysis by analysis. explained my current mindset perfectly. too many options out there and when i start to settle towards something, i find something wrong with it and keep looking or find something better.

i feel that when i settle on something ill end up missing a better deal around the corner.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:23 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
this is exactly my problem. too many options, paralysis by analysis. explained my current mindset perfectly. too many options out there and when i start to settle towards something, i find something wrong with it and keep looking or find something better.

i feel that when i settle on something ill end up missing a better deal around the corner.
At least when picking my F150s out, Ford was managing to screw up enough stuff that they make the decisions easy. The later 24-valve Triton 5.4? No, thanks. I'll take a 4.6 in my SuperCrew and have that "appliance" feeling from that engine. The v6 in my older F150 wasn't blowing out spark plugs (partially) because of skimpy cylinder head threads, either. Easy peasy decisions.

But, quite honestly, I just get a feeling about which truck is "the one" on the lot. It's always nice when the test drive backs it up, too.

OTOH, I did for a moment wonder if an $18k used SuperCrew was worth it over possibly waiting got a '13 F150 XLT SuperCab for the same price. It was, I think. I got four big doors, room to lay out in the back seat if I was in the middle of nowhere on the way to a job, and the new 5.0L has its kinks still.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You can not "walk in and buy" someone who tells you this is either bs-ing you or regrets decision down the road.
Any quick - and successful! - purchase is always supported by previous lengthy research. And test drives. Nowadays, likely a lot of emails and phone calls. Folks simply don't boast about THAT period.

My Platinum F150......less than 45 mins. and I never owned a Ford in my life. I bought it and drove it home to get the title to my trade in. It was the right color, it was a new leftover and that was the only truck I was interested in........sold.

To be fair, I left the house with the intention of buying a GM truck but since the new ones were all made in Mexico I left the dealership within 10 minutes, driving nothing and went down the street to Ford (made in Dearborn, MI).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive