Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 AM

283 posts, read 349,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
These are the only way I'd accept payment. I would not take $10K+ cash though because it gets reported to the govt when you deposit it.
that really doesnt matter in this case. you have the buyer sign a bill of sale and keep it in case it ever gets questioned by the irs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,373 times
I live way out in the boonies and I am car shopping, there is no bank within 35 miles, I was going to offer as payment going to the Post Office and buying the seller postal money orders and handing them over to the seller.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
These are the only way I'd accept payment. I would not take $10K+ cash though because it gets reported to the govt when you deposit it.
This is true.

But knowing this why would you make a single deposit of $10k

Old 07-17-2014, 12:20 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, if he is coming to you, I would feel fine with him bringing cash. In the past, I've always had an anti-forgery pen from Kinkos, but I wouldn't worry about taking six grand to my bank or having it on me when I was pulled over.
The Amazing Randi told me one time that those anti-counterfeit pens don't work, and that appears to be the case:

http://www.fraudfighter.com/counterf...ect-Fake-Money

Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Cash or cashier's check from the bank. That's the only form of payment I accept. I will typically meet a prospective buyer at my local bank branch to look over the vehicle. If they like it, we go inside and take care of the paperwork.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Any time I've ever bought or sold a car in a private situation, there have been papers that needed to be notarized (is that true in all states?). So a bank seems to be a normal place to meet to get that done and you can exchange the cash right there. I don't know of a bank that doesn't have a notary, but in many you need to have an appointment.

The last time I sold a car, I met the guy at my local AAA office and we did the paperwork at the time he gave me cash. I wasn't worried about counterfeit money since he was my parents' neighbor, but it was just a convenient place for both of us to do the transaction, midway between where we both lived. And I didn't have to worry about having the right forms or not getting required signatures because AAA knew what was appropriate in my state.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Any time I've ever bought or sold a car in a private situation, there have been papers that needed to be notarized (is that true in all states?).

Nope. In Alabama all that is required is a Bill of Sale signed by both parties and the title.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Cash or cashier's check from the bank. That's the only form of payment I accept. I will typically meet a prospective buyer at my local bank branch to look over the vehicle. If they like it, we go inside and take care of the paperwork.
I am not sure that the bank accepting a "certified check" is a guarantee of payment. Proof of that is you cannot immediately withdraw against it. Only a $100 is made available. If they later find out that the check is fake, you are out of the money. Some checks are so good that nobody at the bank can tell right on the spot.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
This is true.

But knowing this why would you make a single deposit of $10k
Because I don't really care.

It's not like they do anything with it. It just gets filed away in some database in case they want to go after you later for money laundering or some other illegal activity which I don't participate in anyway. It's not like I commonly deposit that kind of money or anything, but it happens. I'm self-employed and rarely I'll have an account that builds up to that much before I'm paid. Also went over $10k when I switched banks and closed out my checking/savings account since I have more than that sitting in the emergency fund.

Quote:
I am not sure that the bank accepting a "certified check" is a guarantee of payment. Proof of that is you cannot immediately withdraw against it. Only a $100 is made available. If they later find out that the check is fake, you are out of the money. Some checks are so good that nobody at the bank can tell right on the spot.
Which is why you do a bank wire. You can always have the bank call and verify funds. I mean, it's still possible to fake that but it's a lot of effort, more than the casual deadbeat is going to go through. Wiring money is the best way. Costs like $20 typically, some banks waive that over $10k minimum. ACH transfers also work.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:25 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Most banks don't have certified checks anymore. Ask for a bank wire (although they are expensive and you many be asked to absorb the cost), cash, or Cashier's Check. A Cashier's Check is guaranteed funds. The only caveat is that if it isn't from a local bank, you still may need to wait for it to clear by your bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive