Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times

Advertisements

I noticed my car doesn't stopped as clean when in reverse, so I took it in to a local shop. Was told the front brakes still look like new. BUT, the rear brake rotors are very rusted which indicate a problem. They will take the calipers apart and until they do, they won't know if the calipers has gone bad.

So if the calipers need replaced, then the estimate cost is $800 or so, including new pads and rotors as well.

Does this sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I noticed my car doesn't stopped as clean when in reverse, so I took it in to a local shop. Was told the front brakes still look like new. BUT, the rear brake rotors are very rusted which indicate a problem. They will take the calipers apart and until they do, they won't know if the calipers has gone bad.

So if the calipers need replaced, then the estimate cost is $800 or so, including new pads and rotors as well.

Does this sound right?
What year and model car?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
sorry, it's 1994 Acura Integra LS. I'm the original owner.

I've taken it to get brake pads and rotors changed a few times in the last 12 yrs but don't remember if the calipers were ever replaced or if what's there now are the original.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post

Does this sound right?
On www.rockauto.com a remanufactured rear caliper from AC Delco is only 80.00 sounds like a HUGE rip off to me

Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Never heard of rusted rotors being a problem. They slightly rust overnight, esp in humid climate. Then, rust rubs off from braking action. And so it goes. Outside of shiny braking surface, they all look like crap, esp for the year.
I'd do brakes bleeding for starters. betcha fluid was never changed in that car. 94, huh? I can only imagine brake fluid quality. But you can do this with a pal or significant other. It's about ten minutes fun job. Of course, some folks have to opt for "professional service" only.
Back to your Q. Acura calipers for the year are $61. That's $150, tax included, both. Time to remove them is about 15 minutes per side. Normally shop charges around $70-90 per hour. 90s being dealers. Say, it's an hour, in case something is really rusted and has to be "extra attended to". $250. Bleeding system will be another 30 minutes, that's "very meticulous" (read - bill running) mechanic. Round it up to $300 that's parts and labor.
Unless you took her to dealership. Then indeed, sky is the limit for price.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
If the brakes are not applying, I doubt it is a bad caliper - but... Honda/Acura's need to have those slider pins cleaned and lubed every couple years. That may be all that is needed.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
I did a complete brake job on my fiances 2012 nissan rogue for around $360. Parts & labor. That should tell you all you need to know.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:39 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Yep. See, how close I was? ^^^^^

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
I just did a brake job on my WRX a few months ago. did the h6 rear upgrade so the rear rotors were a bit bigger than stock...so I got 4 rotors, 4 front and rear stop tech pads, stainless steel brake lines, and caliper brackets for the rear because of the different rotors. Paid a touch over 400 for the parts and a little over 100 for labor and that was for all 4. You're getting ripped.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Agree with others, a rusty rotor is not a problem and doesn't lead me to think the calipers are ad. If the pad wear is very uneven, that is more likely a caliper problem.

For pricing, make sure you are looking at the whole thing. UKRKOZ left out rotor costs, and I'm not sure if those calipers he/she quoted include pads. I'm curious if deeel79's job included new calipers and rotors. Caliper replacement requires a fluid flush as noted, so that jacks the cost.

That said, prices for brake jobs with new calipers are generally all over the map and it depends upon where you go. As noted, re manufactured calipers are generally pretty cheap, but a dealer (and even some shops) would likely use expensive new OEM calipers. Same with rotors and pads. If you buy the parts yourself, you are looking at (roughly) $120 for both calipers (reman), $100 for both rotors, and $50 for pads (assuming the calipers didn't come with them, some will). @270 in parts, plus the shop will charge another few bucks for "shop supplies" such as brake cleaner, caliper grease, brake fluid etc, which gets your to $300 at least. Add some markup for the shop, and add more if they are using new Acura parts. Then labor which as noted will be charged at least be a couple of hours (despite the fact in may actually take less), and I would think the minimum would be close $500 for two new calipers, 2 new rotors, pads, and a fluid flush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive