Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM

323 posts, read 499,626 times

Advertisements

I know it is the mandated aerodynamic look and the milage thing but jees, the cars all look alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,277,702 times
A look into the past reveals that the looks of cars have evolved, but they always looked the same regardless of the styling.

For example, in the 70s, all cars were bricks/tanks.

in the 50s. all cars were bubbly and rounded going for the streamlined look.

An older fella could easily tell the difference between one of those old bricks. To me, they pretty much all look the same.

But I can identify just about every modern car on the road no problems, where as an older fella might have some trouble.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Funny, I was noticing the opposite since I'm looking around
to buy a new SUV...I have a complaint that they are not
aerodynamic at all with their big grills...vertically slamming into the air in front of them.
They don't seem to be 'pointy".
Sure, there are some around...but not seeing them in the SUVs I'm interested in.

I think I saw a Cadillac SUV, for example...it seemed to have 4 ft of a vertical grill.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I think cars in the 70s were very easy to identify. Each manufacturer had its own style. Today they all look the same.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think cars in the 70s were very easy to identify. Each manufacturer had its own style. Today they all look the same.
And the models changed from one year to the next, when the new models came to the showroom it was a major event for the dealerships, now you have to check the VIN to see what year the car is.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
They looked the same back then. I never understand this argument anyway, what cars look alike? All of them?

A Sonota doesn't look like an Accord, an Altima doesn't look like an Optima, and a Impala doesn't look like a Camry.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Funny, I was noticing the opposite since I'm looking around
to buy a new SUV...I have a complaint that they are not
aerodynamic at all with their big grills...vertically slamming into the air in front of them.
They don't seem to be 'pointy".
Sure, there are some around...but not seeing them in the SUVs I'm interested in.

I think I saw a Cadillac SUV, for example...it seemed to have 4 ft of a vertical grill.
It's not just SUVs, but many passenger cars, too.

It was just a few years ago that most cars really didn't have a grille, just a slot above the bumper. The sloped hoods didn't leave any room for a traditional grille. The reasoning generally given was to maximize aerodynamics.

I never really cared for the sloping hoods with just a slot, instead of a grille, but I don't care for the oversize grilles appearing on many newer vehicles, either. Something in between would be nice.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Ironically, suppositories in the 70s were all the same and now every manufacturer has its own style.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Yep they have lots in common with suppositories like all plastic and pieces of $hit. Certainly won't last 15 years or more like vehicles made from the late 90s and before.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:33 PM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
The styling of today's vehicles is said to be dictated by aerodynamics, rollover standards, pedestrian safety, and side impact standards. I have my doubts about this. I think the stylists of today favor small windows and poor rear headroom. My preferences are for large windows without privacy glass, and for enough headroom to sit upright and wear a hat without brushing the ceiling.

According to Wikipedia, the wedge-shaped Subaru XT and the jelly bean-shaped Subaru SVX had the same aerodynamic drag coefficient of 0.29. So there is more than one way to achieve a low drag coefficient. Subaru put a lot of attention to the small details, which are important.

More importantly, everyone talks about drag coefficient, and no one talks about total drag area, which includes frontal area. If the stylists were serious about aerodynamics, total drag area would be published for each vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive