Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.

Because Hybrid cars are priced for the RICH & FAMOUS, and not for McD's employees! did you just landed on Earth?
Quote:
Why don't poor people drive fuel efficient cars?
The other thing is this: can you picture all those kids in your Prius? plus their car seats? and the rest of the stuff they need? and we need to have for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
Maybe that woman isn't as poor as you assume. Maybe she decided to take her three kids to McDonalds instead of cooking. Maybe she has the Escalade because she has three kids.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think it has more to do with education, not wealth. Less educated folks are going to shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds. More educated folks are going to shop at Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's has great prices on organics, cheese, bread, free range eggs and more. Go to Walmart and you will spend about the same on very low quality foods. The less educated are going to drive those huge vehicles because they don't understand the impact they have on us. Harder on our consumption, harder on our roads and the list goes on and on, but they are uneducated, so they won't understand how bad giant SUV's and empty pickup trucks are on the planet. Nothing we can do about it. There will always be dim folks out there.

I just love being called stupid by someone who never met me.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,576 times
I spend about $30 on fuel a month driving my old Subaru. I don't drive a lot, and it's on purpose.

A Prius is a lot more expensive than I want to buy. It would take about 50 years for the initial cost to be compensated by the fuel savings.

If I wanted to invest more money in a car right now, it would be a Honda Fit. Not a Prius.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
My youngest daughter just bought a Fit. Not a bad little car.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think it has more to do with education, not wealth. Less educated folks are going to shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds. More educated folks are going to shop at Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's has great prices on organics, cheese, bread, free range eggs and more. Go to Walmart and you will spend about the same on very low quality foods. The less educated are going to drive those huge vehicles because they don't understand the impact they have on us. Harder on our consumption, harder on our roads and the list goes on and on, but they are uneducated, so they won't understand how bad giant SUV's and empty pickup trucks are on the planet. Nothing we can do about it. There will always be dim folks out there.
Wow, what a load of you-know-what!! I have a Master's Degree, and shop at BOTH Trader Joe's and Walmart... being educated also means knowing when & where to save money, and there are things I cannot buy at TJs which would be 2-3x the price at Lucky, Safeway, etc. Are you sure you're not talking about psuedo-liberal hipsters vs non-hipsters? Because around here, the only folks who bash on Walmart are those who think it's some "evil corporation." Maybe it is, but when it comes to my shopping habits, I care more about savings (especially for the SAME EXACT products as elsewhere) than politics.

And I drive a 2002 BMW 325i, for the record - so what would you assume if you saw my car on the Walmart vs Trader Joe's parking lot? Am I rich or poor, educated or uneducated, liberal or conservative?? Also, being well-educated doesn't mean you have a high-paying job. I work in a field that pays an average middle-class salary, but does require the graduate education. Why? Because I love what I do. Open your eyes a little, and learn that the world isn't as "black and white" as you apparently believe.

P.S. I don't eat at McDonald's unless it's literally my only option, but that is due to health reasons above everything; and I rarely buy produce at Walmart OR TJs, I go to the produce stands in south county or farmer's markets. TJs' produce kinda sucks, but maybe that is what passes for good in Pittsburgh? Not in California, it doesn't!

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-22-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:

People who shop at Wal-Mart aren't necessarily poor. They might just be cost-conscious or willing to brave the mess that is a Wal-Mart shopping experience in order to get some stuff from a conveniently located or conveniently stocked store.

People who are poor will drive whatever vehicle they can get. Most of the time I DO see poor people driving fuel-efficient vehicles. They seem to gravitate toward ancient rusted-out Cavaliers and Sunfires. However, in reality, if you were a poor person, which car would you choose?

1) A 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood with 50,000 original miles, appearing to be in good running condition, being sold for $1,500

2) A 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier with 175,000 miles, appearing to be in good running condition, being sold for $1,500

I'd take the gas-guzzling Caddy every time, because that bad boy has a lot of life left before it needs major repairs. That Cavalier may sip gas but you're going to be putting it in the shop a lot. May as well just bite the bullet and pay a bit more for gas.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some people shop at Walmart because it's the cheapest option for the exact same goods.
Bingo. I've never thought much about it, I just go where they have what I need for the least amount of money... and it's not like I can get my hair dye, toiletry products, pet supplies, etc, at TJs anyway. They do have some non-food products, but they're usually TOO "organic" for my taste (have you tried their toilet paper, I mean SANDpaper?) and loaded with crap I'm allergic to like lavender & eucalyptus. I love their prepared and frozen foods, but everything else has to be purchased at a real store.

Little did I know that people who see me at Walmart are assuming I'm uneducated, poor, and in debt over my BMW just to look cool.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
The car dealer who will give a poor person credit does not have a Prius on his lot.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My dad goes to McDonalds every day for his senior coffee. He drive thru, in his Mercedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive