Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,728,070 times

Advertisements

Because these are not poor people but instead they know how to work the system !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:03 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,196,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

There's no reason a BMW X5 is your safe SUV of choice when you could drive a compact SUV like a RAV4.

These are decisions poor people make that keeps them poor.
Poor people can't afford even used X5s, you twit. You really area stretching for a definition of poor aren't you? Every post you make proves that you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,797,030 times
Quote:
I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
WAIT WHAT???

You assume a woman driving an Escalade is poor because she's at Walmart????

I know a FAMOUS DRAG QUEEN who recently went to Walmart to get everything she'd need for her gig that night after her luggage was lost because you can GUARANTEED find everything you need there in one trip. UNLIKE any other store. INCLUDING Target. Including fabric and even a sewing machine to quickly make an outfit (or buy one). She's making $5000 a show and not hurting for money in the least.

If we were having a hurricane in Florida this week, I'd be at WALMART.

I go to Walmart for Parsley Plus. DON'T CARRY IT ELSEWHERE. (ok reality is I order it from Amazon but when I run out I can get it at Walmart ONLY) Ditto a bunch of other stuff. Walmart has great produce OFTEN.

WALMART SELLS GREAT SCHOOL SUPPLIES AND IT'S THE SEASON FOR MOTHERS TO BUY THEM DUH.

Dude.

You have no idea about people.

Did you ever hear the Kennedy compound in Palm Beach was a MESS and they never painted it?

Did you ever hear that many rich people are cheap in many ways?

Do you know that plenty of families have pick up trucks and SUVs to TOW boats (or work items like landscaping)...and may be stopping at WALMART before going boating to get their SUPPLIES? OMG! BOATS USE GAS!!!

Do you even work with people of all economic backgrounds?

And it's FUNNY you failed to mention that there are a **** ton of people shopping in Whole Foods using food stamps with fake Louis V knockoffs, yapping on their iPhones and refusing to bag even when the bagger is obviously handicapped. (right in the Whole Foods Jacksonville, FL, BTW)

Basically, you're just what they'd call....a busybody LOL.

Commenting on seat belts, using GAS OMG, kids' behavior inside THEIR OWN CAR etc etc etc.

But hey! YOU drive a $30K PRIUS wow. Why are you at Walmart anyway?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-26-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 02:12 PM

28,564 posts, read 18,576,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Did you ever hear the Kennedy compound in Palm Beach was a MESS and they never painted it?
Reminds me of an anecdote from a friend of the Kennedy brothers when they were at Harvard. The friend complained he was always having to lend them money because they never carried cash on them.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 PM

12,935 posts, read 9,547,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Let me correct my rhetoric to make my same point: "Poor" people may not have bad credit if they have not made foolish purchase decisions in the past. But unless they can demonstrate sufficient ability to pay, they do not have the credit necessary to purchase a Prius and such vehicles because those are not found at the used car dealers that will extend credit to "poor" people.
And because they don't have enough income, creditors don't see where they have any room in their budget for a new car payment given all the information on their paper work. My good friend work at the local Nissan dealer and he said he see this all the time. That people credit score and history is not always the issue, but they just don't make enough income to get what they want and banks just don't want to chance it.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:53 PM

28,564 posts, read 18,576,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
And because they don't have enough income, creditors don't see where they have any room in their budget for a new car payment given all the information on their paper work. My good friend work at the local Nissan dealer and he said he see this all the time. That people credit score and history is not always the issue, but they just don't make enough income to get what they want and banks just don't want to chance it.
The Nissan dealer won't--but Shady Sam's Used Cars will extend them a 22% APR loan (yes, I've actually seen one of those, and I can't imagine paying credit-card interest on a secured loan) on a 1985 SUV for 60 months...and they don't have a choice fuel-efficient car because the new car dealers keep the choice used cars on their own lots. That's certainly a lousy purchase, but consider this scenario:

A "poor" person manages to get a decent job in a warehouse that pays benefits and even has raise and advancement opportunities. Except that it requires working different shifts and there is no way for public transportation to manage the shift work. In fact, it already takes 4 hours for him to make the one-way commute on public transit even if the shift work were not an option (and yes, I've seen people having to do that as well). But this is a good job with future options.

That's how even people sometimes have to make bad purchases even when they don't want to.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 PM

12,935 posts, read 9,547,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Nissan dealer won't--but Shady Sam's Used Cars will extend them a 22% APR loan (yes, I've actually seen one of those, and I can't imagine paying credit-card interest on a secured loan) on a 1985 SUV for 60 months...and they don't have a choice fuel-efficient car because the new car dealers keep the choice used cars on their own lots. That's certainly a lousy purchase, but consider this scenario:

A "poor" person manages to get a decent job in a warehouse that pays benefits and even has raise and advancement opportunities. Except that it requires working different shifts and there is no way for public transportation to manage the shift work. In fact, it already takes 4 hours for him to make the one-way commute on public transit even if the shift work were not an option (and yes, I've seen people having to do that as well). But this is a good job with future options.

That's how even people sometimes have to make bad purchases even when they don't want to.
Well I agree with that point of view, people do make bad purchases even when they don't want.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,680,035 times
Quote:
But unless they can demonstrate sufficient ability to pay, they do not have the credit necessary to purchase a Prius and such vehicles because those are not found at the used car dealers that will extend credit to "poor" people.
What arrogance. Imagine thinking that Prius is such a fantastic car and everyone should drive something like this. That the only reason a lot more people don't drive one of those toys, is they cannot afford one. Out here we call them play things, not real cars.

People that drive larger older cars in excellent condition, do pay more to fill up. But at the end of the month they come out way ahead of what it would have cost after you include the payments on the Prius, etc. I spent a large percentage of my life before retiring in the commercial/investment real estate brokerage. I had a lot of clients, that can buy and sell most people. They were not the ones driving the Prius, etc. They may be driving a Cadillac that they purchased 15 years ago, and are very happy with it. Most drove big and comfortable vehicles, and a lot of large SUVs.

I started out in sales, in the furniture business, in the Silicon Valley. I soon learned that when a couple came in that were parked out front in the car of the month, dressed to the nines in high priced suits and dresses, to run away from them and let someone else have them as a customer. They would pick out the most expensive furniture in the store and the salesperson that got stuck with them, would have a very big order, and a large commission when it was delivered. About nine times out of ten, the bank refused their credit, as they were so overloaded with payments, and behind on all of them. The sale never closed. I was happy to take the customer which was not putting on a show of how much money they have, and got paid my commission on them every time.

Thinking you can tell the rich from the poor by the type of car they drive, is what gets people into trouble. A lot of people with money, are the ones that often drive what the OP and some others call poor peoples cars. They probably bought them years ago, and as long as they run well and are dependable, are more comfortable to travel in than something like the Prius, they see no reason to get rid of an old friend.

Again thinking that poor people, are the only ones that shop at Walmart is another problem they have. Lets imagine you want to buy a large flat screen T.V. Same model available at your favorite department store, and at Walmart. Only difference is it is $100 more at the department store than at Walmart. A lot of smart buyers with money, have money because they would buy the T.V. at Walmart. St George Utah has a Walmart at each end of town. The north one is in a solid middle class neighborhood. The South one is in the most upscale area in the city, and would be considered upscale in any part of the country. The cars in the parking lot, are very much composed of higher priced cars, some new and some older. Not the type of customer, that the OP and many others say shop at Walmart.

It is the wannabees that throw around names like Star Buck's and Trader Joe's, and look down on who shops at Walmart. It is not the people with real money. They buy where they can get the product they want, at a price they want to pay. Consider that 2 Buck Chuck wine, is one of the things that Trader Joe's is famous for. In other words wine at wino prices.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM

19,657 posts, read 9,967,695 times
Sam Walton drove an old pickup and wore overalls. Don't think I would have called him poor.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,443,776 times
Quote:
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
I don't think you're talking money. I think you're talking lifestyle.

And oh by the way, if you have to buy used, economy cars are VERY expensive relative to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive