Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Maybe my post was taken out of context. I thought poor people would want to save money and spend as little as they can on necessities such as fuel.

I use a Prius as an example but there are many other fuel saving cars like Honda Fit or older compacts that can get you over 30mpg hway.

But quite often I see people who aren't wealthy driving gas guzzlers and I don't think they need the size it is clearly their only vehicle.

I see the misinformed replies in here saying that hybrids and fuel saving cars are expensive. It is a lot cheaper than the Suburban, Escalades, Porsche Cayenne SUV I keep seeing poor people drive. At new/used prices the Honda Fit or even the new Chevy Cruze Eco is a lot cheaper to buy or lease.

I guess that's why they remain poor, poor people making poor decisions. Very easy to dump 1/2 your paycheck leasing a car you can't afford and the rest goes into paying for that hungry SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Anyone seen the South Park Episode about Prius Drivers?

Resembles this thread, unfortunately.

I try not to make generalizations about people based on what they drive, where they shop, or really anything pertaining to how everyone manages their money. I focus on my situation and what I can do to improve it and stop trying to make myself feel better by putting down others on their choices.

Makes my life a whole lot easier!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:00 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Maybe my post was taken out of context. I thought poor people would want to save money and spend as little as they can on necessities such as fuel.

I use a Prius as an example but there are many other fuel saving cars like Honda Fit or older compacts that can get you over 30mpg hway.

But quite often I see people who aren't wealthy driving gas guzzlers and I don't think they need the size it is clearly their only vehicle.

I see the misinformed replies in here saying that hybrids and fuel saving cars are expensive. It is a lot cheaper than the Suburban, Escalades, Porsche Cayenne SUV I keep seeing poor people drive. At new/used prices the Honda Fit or even the new Chevy Cruze Eco is a lot cheaper to buy or lease.

I guess that's why they remain poor, poor people making poor decisions. Very easy to dump 1/2 your paycheck leasing a car you can't afford and the rest goes into paying for that hungry SUV.
How do you know they are poor? Maybe it's different in your area, but around here I don't see people walking around with their account balances on their shirts.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
First, you clearly don't understand the difference between "ignorance" and "stupidity."

Second, battery survival depends heavily on the demands and conditions it's faced during its life, just as that of an internal combustion engine, but the differences are significant. Some of the things that kill an internal combustion engine are Skittles to a battery. The performance of a battery in a taxi doesn't tell us anything about the performance of a battery in other conditions.

The Ultimate Guide: Toyota Prius Battery Life, Cost, and Warranty

One of the things I do know about batteries is that high ambient termperatures is hell on 'em. So if I'm a "poor" person looking at a hybrid Toyota at 89,000 miles on the original battery pack, I'm giving significant consideration to the cost of imminent replacement.

I love the Toyota Prius. I bought my Prius brand new from a dealership in Waterford, MI in the fall of 2005. It is the only car I have ever kept until the loan was paid off, and even then I was in no hurry to sell or replace it. Then the hybrid battery died. [Read More]

At that second link is what a committed Prius owner went through to get his battery swapped for a reasonable twice, which is great for him, but it's not common yet. The average "poor" person isn't going through all that.

How many Prius have been sold and how many examples of problems do you have? Hmm?

It's more likely that a regular car will need a transmission or engine rebuild than it is that a Prius will need a battery pack replaced.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I think he was implying we poor folk cant shop at Traders Joes or grab a cup at Starbucks, we are limited only to Walmart and McDonalds.

FTR, I do go to all 4 of those places but I only go to Traders Joes for Cookie Butter and Starbucks is way too expensive. I can get Starbucks Coffee at Walmart for cheaper.
Maybe, he wasn't implying anything but just stating what he observed.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
A truck is really a suv the Expedition is nothing more than a F 150 with a top. The Explorer was a Ford Ranger with a top when it first came out. Most suv"s use the same frame as a truck, and the same motor also. What do you call a suburban
it's a suv.
I seriously doubt I'd want to put cattle into the back of a Expedition. So no, they are not the same. They may share frames and motors but trucks have beds for a reason. My one ton is designed to have a heavy load in the back of it not just to pull stuff. If I saw someone with hogs in the back of an Expedition I'd be seriously laughing.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
Another I don't usually stereotype, but when I do thread. Your choice to drive an econobox is a personal choice, and what people drive in no way represents their financial status in life. This is a silly premise.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Poor People usually Buy what they can afford.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM

210 posts, read 246,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Poor People usually Buy what they can afford.
/thread.

Can this be done now o.O???

Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:

I'm not sure you've correctly characterized "poor" people.

I give my old cars away to poor people. I have yet to pay over $12K for any car ever, I'm not poor, and as far as I'm concerned, all the hybrids and electrics are still out of my range. I haven't seen any hybrids for under $12K in my area that don't have some other major issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive