Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Big SUVs are cheap, precisely because they get horrendous mileage. If they got good mileage, the resale value wouldn't be in the toilet, and the price would be much higher. Mystery solved.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
I can say when youre poor you get what car you can, even if its a $1000 POS that you can only put $10 in gas as you get it. Forget wanting a fancy car.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.

$80.00 fill up is cheap, we pay closer to $130.00 on a good day and we continue to keep and drive our Suburban because we like it and it is what we want to drive. Also, we don't drive just to get a coffee because I fix coffee at home and we do not shop at Trader Joe's either. There are more reasonable cost at other markets with better quality food in our opinion.

I would no more look at a Prius let alone drive one or any other vehicle considered a "car". I haven't drive a car in more than 20 years and I am not about to start now.

I am curious why you specifically mentioned Trader Joe's and Starbucks when speaking about specific vehicles then you mention Walmart and McDonald's when speaking about other vehicles.

Are you implying something with your specifics?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
$80.00 fill up is cheap, we pay closer to $130.00 on a good day and we continue to keep and drive our Suburban because we like it and it is what we want to drive. Also, we don't drive just to get a coffee because I fix coffee at home and we do not shop at Trader Joe's either. There are more reasonable cost at other markets with better quality food in our opinion.

I would no more look at a Prius let alone drive one or any other vehicle considered a "car". I haven't drive a car in more than 20 years and I am not about to start now.

I am curious why you specifically mentioned Trader Joe's and Starbucks when speaking about specific vehicles then you mention Walmart and McDonald's when speaking about other vehicles.

Are you implying something with your specifics?
I think he was implying we poor folk cant shop at Traders Joes or grab a cup at Starbucks, we are limited only to Walmart and McDonalds.

FTR, I do go to all 4 of those places but I only go to Traders Joes for Cookie Butter and Starbucks is way too expensive. I can get Starbucks Coffee at Walmart for cheaper.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
why are people constantly telling others what they should be driving? why cant you leave well enough alone? why do i have to constantly put up with threads suggesting that no one should be driving trucks, high performance cars, cars with more than four cylinders, or what ever other stupid crap that the idiot "do gooders" decide that everyone should drive?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why don't poor people drive fuel efficient cars?
Because they're not nearly as worldly and so-fisty-cated as you are.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
I see this too, it's common sense really. The well educated, well off are the ones that can actually afford to buy all those fuel efficient cars like the Prius and other tiny death traps on wheels.

Nobody mentioned the new luxury cars you tend to see in the parking lots of those places too. So it's not all new small Econo boxes in the lots of TJ's and Starbucks.

I am a liberal, low-middle class, but not a environmentalist, and drive a big Cadillac with a V8 because to me it's safer, has a lot of room inside, is very comfortable and reliable. I truly don't think about the environment when I drive my cars, just being honest.

But I also shop at Trader Joe's sometimes, and Walmart, grub out at Crackdonalds, and drink Starbucks coffee here and there. I guess I'm not the stereotypical person that goes to those places so you can put in me in the "WTF" category in labeling.

It's the debate of : The white trash folks from Walmart vs upper middle class white folks from Trader Joe's Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Simple: Hybrid cars are expensive.

Does it really make sense for a poor person to spend $30k on a Prius to save on gas or the environment? Can a poor person realistically afford a $600 car note to save on gas? Not only are hybrids themselves are expensive, the batteries need to be replaced and can and does cost in the thousands. Would a poor person be able to afford a battery at replacement time?

Old 07-21-2014, 04:23 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
I think the OP is not only generalizing here, but seeing what they want to see.

I find NO difference in the cars parked outside of Walmart, and the ones parked outside of Starbucks.

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" - The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive