Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times

Advertisements

I've driven plenty of cars with timing belts. Even when it breaks it's ordinarily not too big a deal, not much worse than running out of gas. In other words, you stop and you aren't going again until it's replaced.

Whole different story with an interference engine. I know that one poster said breaking your timing belt with an interference engine doesn't necessarily destroy the engine, but that's what I've always heard. I'd be interested in knowing more about that.

In addition, why would you make a car where the engine is destroyed, or even might be destroyed, if the timing belt were to break. In other words, what are the benefits to an interference engine that would outweigh that huge disadvantage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I've got a 1998 and 2008 Toyota Corolla. AFAIK both are on the original timing chain/belt. I had a mechanic tell me about 8 years ago that the chain/belt in the 98 needed to be replaced but it's still running on the original with near 150k on it. I can't afford to replace it which is why I never have but I really hope my 08 holds up as well!

Anybody know what's in my car? I have no idea! lol
By then Toyota had switched to chains on their 4 cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
My '79 Honda Civic had a belt. No problem with it. Replaced it at 100K. No problems with replacement.

My mom had a '85 Civic. Belt broke twice, wiped the valves both times.

My '84 and '91 Civics had belts. No problems.

The first engine to use a toothed rubber timing belt was the 230 cu. in. Pontiac Overhead Cam Six, which came out in 1966 in two versions. The base model had a single-barrel carb, simple intake and exhaust manifolds, and 8.0:1 compression. The Sprint model had a Quadrajet carb, more elaborate manifolds, and 10.5:1 compression. I had a '67 Sprint Firebird for a few years. No problems with the timing belt.
I saw one of those over the weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Such absolutes!

Never mind that there there are probably a few million Honda V6 cars on the road running perfectly with timing belts - all interference engines. Most Hondas now need a timing belt at 105K miles.

My 1997 NSX uses a timing belt. Even that engine expects a TB at 90K miles.
Yep. And all of the owners had to waste $600 to change the timing belt. The J series engines are really nice ... except for the fact that if you don't waste $600 every 7 years it will self destruct.

I know a few people with these cars. Nice cars but they can't "afford" the timing belt change. Great, I'm sure they can afford the new engine because Honda is too cheap to put a proper chain on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Most vehicles timing belt replacement, which should include the tensioner and water pump at the same time, run around $600-$700, at the dealership. Independent shops tend to run a little less.

If $600 is a ridiculous amount of money to you, you should probably not be owning/driving a vehicle, because you obviously cannot afford to buy insurance either.
I can afford the maintenance, but I chose to buy vehicles that are cheap to maintain. There's no reason for me to buy a vehicle that requires me to waste $600 every 7 or 8 years on something that should be lifetime.

If you think it's acceptable , that's fine.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I have a 1998 Corolla as well with 170k miles on it. It has a timing chain. Your mechanic should know it has a chain not a belt.
I don't remember what he said but I knew it was too early for that chain to be replaced when it was mentioned. What he actually heard was a noise in the HVAC system but that noise didn't affect the operation of HVAC. I knew he was fishing for additional work that wasn't needed and I've never gone back there again; too bad for that MIDAS shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
By then Toyota had switched to chains on their 4 cylinders.
Good to know! Thanks for the info!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
I saw one of those over the weekend!

Where did you see it?

It's a '68. I think it's the base model, not the Sprint.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Where did you see it?

It's a '68. I think it's the base model, not the Sprint.
Syracuse Nationals auto show.

Here is the car:

Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,965 times
Wow, I do remember that engine. I don't that that many were made. It seemed very European at the time.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
I don't think a Hyundai can generate enough torque to spin a belt or chain off a gear/pulley. Belts were for job security at dealerships. $600 is robbery.
Chain can't go bad but belts are rubber which wears/rots.

Think of the numbers of American V8s that have rolled around on the roads for decades and never have worries with timing chains. Many go 500K+ and still have the original timing chain; think big city taxi cab.

I always wanted gears back when in the days when I had my 69 Camaro but never got a round tuit.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
Both my cars have chains now. I would avoid belts if possible. And its also better for resale, you can state that its a lower maintenance vehicle because of the chain.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
...Think of the numbers of American V8s that have rolled around on the roads for decades and never have worries with timing chains. Many go 500K+ and still have the original timing chain; think big city taxi cab.
I guess you never heard of the issues Pontiac had with their timing chains in the 60's and early 70's? Mechanics used to love them. 50k miles - another chain! How about AMC and the distributor/cam gear teeth getting chewed up? Had to use a "matched set" to get around that issue.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Syracuse Nationals auto show.

Here is the car:
Well, the car is a '67 (note wing windows). I think that the air cleaner housing is a '68 or maybe from a '67 California car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive