Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times

Advertisements

i bought my A5 at 2 yrs out (from a former gf's brother who was moving overseas for defense-related work). I knew the history and it was immaculate, and with Prestige Line package... plus he was willing to let it go for a steal, so I couldn't pass it up. I've leased a couple times before and know the pro's and con's and how much it costs to maintain Euro cars, so i'm not naive. Realistically, I know that an Audi isn't going to last as long as a Lexus or Infiniti without spending thousands. Remember most ppl lease luxury cars so the lifespan of these models is limited compared to your everyday workhorse Camry or Accord. And i'm fine with that.

btw, another option that you may want to consider is buying a new auto using one of those extended-term car loans (8 to 10 yrs). From a consumer finance perspective it's a bad deal, but if you think of it as a long-term lease program, it's competitive. Caveat, you need to keep your car long enough for the market value to exceed your loan balance... otherwise you'll be upside down. Typically this is 5 years or longer with these kind of long-term loans. If you're the type that trades cars in every 3 or 4 years, long-term auto loans aren't for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Nice...now compare it to the current M5
Or the m6 grand coupe.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
A good mechanic once told me German luxury = expensive junk & if you're even considering luxury to go strictly with Lexus.

They only real high performance offering they have however is the IS-F.
perhaps I am old or whatever...I still remember when people said lexus wasn't a real luxury car...its really a Toyota with leather seats. I remember when mindless people were insisting its not really a Toyota .

In Europe many benz are taxi cabs...and some bmw have cloth seats too. Amazing how the marketing people put a spin on "luxury"

Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback1313 View Post
Stay away from Audi. They look and drive nice, but the repairs will kill you! I know several people who bought pre-owned Audis and couldn't wait to dump them.
I agree with you and speak from experience owning a A6 for several years ---- a beautiful car, inside and out, but will clean out your wallet/purse on maintenance.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Until the CTS-V and the Chrysler 300 SRT, American "luxury" sedans were big fat slow sloppy comfortable cars. I acknowledge that some people like that kind of car. The digital speedometer on a Crown Vic had huge numbers so that seniors could read the numbers.
I'd think the digital speedometer on the Crown Vics were for the benefit of the law enforcement officers who need that to instantly gauge the travelling speed of their vehicle and others, such as for traffic enforcement and in high speed pursuits.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Why mess around with a mere BMW or Lexus? If you want a real luxury sedan, you might as well go for it....

Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'd think the digital speedometer on the Crown Vics were for the benefit of the law enforcement officers who need that to instantly gauge the travelling speed of their vehicle and others, such as for traffic enforcement and in high speed pursuits.
...Except that the speedometer and gauges were lifted directly from the Lincoln Town Car parts bin.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Always admired the older 7 series, I sold my 97 M3 a few years ago. Speaking of which, I think the 4 door model is sweet.

If not mentioned, the e55 AMG is a solid car. Many nice examples out there.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Always admired the older 7 series, I sold my 97 M3 a few years ago. Speaking of which, I think the 4 door model is sweet.

If not mentioned, the e55 AMG is a solid car. Many nice examples out there.
4dr e36 handles a tad better than the 2 dr....e36 has a special place in my heart....you should of kept it!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I agree with you and speak from experience owning a A6 for several years ---- a beautiful car, inside and out, but will clean out your wallet/purse on maintenance.
Friend of mine bought an early 2000's A4 and that car was nothing but a nightmare. He ended up spending more on trying to get it run right then the car was actually worth! I remember the electrical headaches he had with that car. The entire dash would light up like a xmas tree with every single warning light on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive