Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:38 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

This thread is proof of foreign junk. Stick with domestic and it will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 AM

296 posts, read 439,304 times
what are your suggestions for reliable domestic brands?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:38 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This thread is proof of foreign junk. Stick with domestic and it will last.

My BMW had 185k on it when I sold it. My son's BMW went over 250k before he sold it. I've seen them go over 300k miles. They'll last just fine. I've also had domestics that were used up by 150k (trucks excepted).

Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

My BMW had 185k on it when I sold it. My son's BMW went over 250k before he sold it. I've seen them go over 300k miles. They'll last just fine. I've also had domestics that were used up by 150k (trucks excepted).
And I've see GM 1/2 ton trucks with 400,000 with the original 700R4 transmission that are way cheaper too maintain.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You got scammed if someone sold you a 1996 733. FWIW, Mike Miller recommends used (late model) 7 series for BMW mechanics only. Other models are easier to work on. My E34 for instance, 85% of the suspension can be rebuilt using basic hand tools. You can do a complete tune up using just the tools in the factory kit supplied with the car.
The E38s I posted are also very easy to work on with just simple hand tools. I've done the front suspensions in them with just basic hand tools (no BMW special tools). The E65 (2002 and up) is another story, and I agree to stay away from them even if you are a typical DIYer.

And yeah, I wondered about that 1996 733, as the 733 was last made in 1984. In fact, there were no North American 6 cyl 7 series after 1992. (unless the F01 730i was available, which I don't think it was)

Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
And I've see GM 1/2 ton trucks with 400,000 with the original 700R4 transmission that are way cheaper too maintain.

Didn't I say "trucks excepted" in the post you quoted? Learn to read. buddy. Youre not going to find PASSENGER cars with the abilities (both in agility, speed, and tactile qualities) of my German cars that also last as long with as little problems.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Didn't I say "trucks excepted" in the post you quoted? Learn to read. buddy. Youre not going to find PASSENGER cars with the abilities (both in agility, speed, and tactile qualities) of my German cars that also last as long with as little problems.
Hogwash, i've seen Camaro's, and Mustangs do the same. Some German models have done well like the Bug, but most are expensive to begin with and even more expensive to maintain, and this thread is proof positive. Please do not digress to petty name calling, because I actually have some respect for your posts. However, in this case you are absolutely wrong to think cost per mile can be less with German. Quality is only a perception for an excuse to pay more for a vehicle to think somehow you are superior to others. In reality, you just arenT being frugal.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
EVERY vehicle has its flaws. And every person deals with those differently. If you want a car that looks good and has a ton of bells and whistles while being comfortable with some performance, German luxury cars are it. If you want to go from A to B with little repairs and relative comfort and durability, choose a Japanese brand or some of the domestics.

With that being said, I personally will never buy another German vehicle. My Audi was the biggest nightmare I have ever owned. It spent most of it's life with me sitting in my driveway while I tried to work out all of the problems it had. Electrical, mechanical, you name it. It was an absolutely beautiful car, but it ended there. The interior was clean, but all the plastic trim pieces were worn and paint chipping and all sorts of clips and latches were broken that would break again when replaced.

I advise folks to steer clear of them, BUT if you have done your research and don't mind spending a little more money to drive an otherwise beautiful car I say go for it. For me, I want nice looking cars with as few repairs as possible. I choose Ford, Honda, and Toyota. But for you, it may be different. There's no right or wrong answer here. It is all in what you like.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Hogwash, i've seen Camaro's, and Mustangs do the same. Some German models have done well like the Bug, but most are expensive to begin with and even more expensive to maintain, and this thread is proof positive. Please do not digress to petty name calling, because I actually have some respect for your posts. However, in this case you are absolutely wrong to think cost per mile can be less with German. Quality is only a perception for an excuse to pay more for a vehicle to think somehow you are superior to others. In reality, you just arenT being frugal.
There has never been an American sedan that has/had the performance of a BMW 7 series. No Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Chevy, Olds, Buick was as fast and precise as the 7 series (or S-class Mercedes). A few possible recent exceptions are the CTS-V and 300 SRT.

That's why people buy cars like the 7 series - even if they cost more to drive. Most "luxury" American models are badge-engineered cars with soft suspensions, bloated dimensions, and sofas for seats.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There has never been an American sedan that has/had the performance of a BMW 7 series. No Ford, Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Chevy, Olds, Buick was as fast and precise as the 7 series (or S-class Mercedes). A few possible recent exceptions are the CTS-V and 300 SRT.

That's why people buy cars like the 7 series - even if they cost more to drive. Most "luxury" American models are badge-engineered cars with soft suspensions, bloated dimensions, and sofas for seats.
I'll never forget the look on the face of that old geeser when I smoked his 7 series in my Jeep. And the guy in Danville, CA hanging out the window of his 7 series giving me the thumbs up in my 69 Z28. While we're making up stories might as well. I'm sure that BMW will smoke a 64 Ford Galaxy 427 side oiler? Do you actually believe this crap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive