Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Guess I am trouble... I own 50 vehicles...

You might see my driving a like new BMW or a ratty 1960 pickup or my daily driver for years was a 1972 Plymouth Valiant... on nice days I might drive the 62 Corvette or Mustang Convertible.

Other days it could be a Model A Roadster with rumble seat, a 57 Ford or my 1938 Bantam 60 Roadster.

My boss used to get so mad at me... she couldn't stand my 72 Plymouth Valiant... said it looked like I belonged in a senior home... she even said she knows I can afford a better car. She once said if I insist on driving it... please do not park in the administration parking lot.

... and that's the point... variety really is the spice of life... keep em, guessing

PS... today I drove my 91 Silverado stepside pickup...
I would say you have a very lively personality with all those cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 04:11 PM

25 posts, read 29,439 times
what does an acura TL say about you?
im curious now

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times

I think many people are quick to judge when they see an older guy driving a Corvette.
The usual response is "he's having a mid life crisis.

Well. let me tell you, I am way, way beyond my mid life crisis.
I bought my 04 Corvette this past may, and I couldn't care less what opinions people form of me when I am behind the wheel.

For sure, at 75, mid life crisis is not something that would describe me.
My mid life crisis, if I ever had one, would have to have been about 35 years ago.

When people see me driving the Vette, I would hope their thoughts would be something along the lines of, "now there's a guy who knows what he wants".

Bob.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:18 PM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times
Yes.

BMW are geneally owned by people that have a better than you attitude and believe the road came with the title of the car.

Prius, Smart cars and those god awful Leafs - Save the world tre huggers that feel the need to drive 20 miles under the speed limit just to screw with other peoples lives. I've had one of these uptight pieces of used toliet paper start a fight with me at a gas station as I was filling up my truck one day.. She started fighting with me as I "used too much gas" (filled up from empty and put 16 gallons in).

Buicks, early 2000's caddy's, large Oldsmobiles and Grand Marques - Generally driven by someone that is currently celibrating or has recently celibrated his or her 100th birthday. Generally drive down the center of the road straddling the dividing line at 20 mph under the limit..

Cars lifted a foot off or SUV's slammed to the ground with 24" or larger wheels are generally the homies or some really confused white kid trying to fit in.

Porsches - I'm a douch bag.... Check out my driving gloves....

I can go on but that should start enough rants...

Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
It all depends of where you live, here in my wealthy, very conservative Texas city. No one pays any attention at the type of car passing by you. You expect them to be a Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Porsche or Range Rover. The Ferrari and Lamborghini is parked in the garage and driven on nice weekends. Corvettes are common and for old men that show them off at the local ‘Cars and Coffee’. If you see a Toyota, Honda, and Ford or Chevy, the good cars must be in the shop or parking is bad at work. I will take a second look at an S550 passing by, because that’s my next car, but I also drive a Ford Fusion. I perceive everyone around here as millionaires and don’t care if they are or not.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

I think many people are quick to judge when they see an older guy driving a Corvette.
The usual response is "he's having a mid life crisis.
Yup. Especially a red one. But like you said, who cares? Enjoy.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
Yes and No.

I swear to god, each and any of my known folks - colleagues - friends - relatives - neighbors - the ones who are least interested in cars / driving dynamics - they all freaking drive Camry and or corolla.

One moron who drives a Camry hybrid - asked me if my car was a diesel - why? I'll tell you why. He was talking abt the C63. And to him anything with loud exhaust (it's stock) is diesel. Go figure. The guy is an engineer.

Another one, who also drives Camry says cars are just A-B utility and anyone who buys BMWs / MBs / sports cars with all the luxury in the rear seats and all that performance can't really use it anywhere. He says a thing with 200 hp or more is useless - because we don't need it.

I once showed him how power is utilized.

I wanted to punch him in the face. Repeatedly. With a blunt toothpick.

So anyhow coming back to your point.

Yes, I judge Camry / Corolla drivers. I judge them as folks who think of their cars as appliances - which s exactly what typical toyota product is known for appliance mobile.
You sound like a typical MB/BMW driver. Douche-bag, prick, ******** etc... pick one, they all fit your profile. C63!!!! Didn't have enough for E or S class???? Wait, you don't own it, your bank does since you're still making payments on it or it's leased.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
You sound like a typical MB/BMW driver. Douche-bag, prick, ******** etc... pick one, they all fit your profile. C63!!!! Didn't have enough for E or S class???? Wait, you don't own it, your bank does since you're still making payments on it or it's leased.
All the insults of a jealous person in one post.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 PM

12 posts, read 15,436 times
Well, yes.... I don't care about the make or model, necessarily, but I do feel judgmental in some cases:

If the inspection/registration stickers are out of date
If the car is damaged -- some types of damage are more egregious than others
If the car is filthy
If the car is badly parked (taking up more than one space)
If the car is stopped at a red light and blaring noise and bass so loud that the surrounding cars have to listen to it, too
If the car sounds or looks like it hasn't received any maintenance in years -- noisy engine, smoky exhaust

If all you can afford to drive is an old economy car, that's great. But at the very least, keep it clean and keep it up-to-date with respect to the laws of your county/state.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
All the insults of a jealous person in one post.
There is not a hint of jealousy in what I said. Read that guy's original post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive