Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times

Advertisements

OP wants fun to drive, no pickups or SUVs and people are trying to push him into practical trucks and SUVs... His wife HAS Q5 for that duty.

OP, I'd suggest a Mazda 3, Focus ST or MINI Cooper non-S. Of those three, we chose the new MINI non-S with the 6 speed manual. Turbo 3 cyl that has plenty of pep, excellent handling with the sport package OR without. And it knocks back 40+ mpg in mixed driving. Drive all three, and pick the one you fit in the best. You can't go wrong with any of the choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
OP wants fun to drive, no pickups or SUVs and people are trying to push him into practical trucks and SUVs... His wife HAS Q5 for that duty.

OP, I'd suggest a Mazda 3, Focus ST or MINI Cooper non-S. Of those three, we chose the new MINI non-S with the 6 speed manual. Turbo 3 cyl that has plenty of pep, excellent handling with the sport package OR without. And it knocks back 40+ mpg in mixed driving. Drive all three, and pick the one you fit in the best. You can't go wrong with any of the choices.
MINI's 6spd traditional standard shifter intruiges me (I hate those tiptronic things that newer cars have). Why do you recommend the non-S instead of S?

Also, how does the Countryman handle compared to the Cooper? It's underpowered, but that can be fixed by getting the Countryman S. It'd be nice to have the extra shoulder and leg room.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
MINI's 6spd traditional standard shifter intruiges me (I hate those tiptronic things that newer cars have). Why do you recommend the non-S instead of S?
The Non-S versions have proven to be less troublesome than the S versions, and the added speed, especially in the new ones, is not that noticeable, but the added cost is.

Quote:
Also, how does the Countryman handle compared to the Cooper? It's underpowered, but that can be fixed by getting the Countryman S. It'd be nice to have the extra shoulder and leg room.
The Countryman is not as agile or fun. It's a bigger car, though only about the size of a GTI. But for some reason it lost a bit of the agility of the Cooper. Still, drive one and see if it fits you. It does cost a bit more, however.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
A CPO 3 series BMW. Get a pre 2012 model, the six is much better than the turbo 4.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 AM

287 posts, read 506,636 times
$23-24K gets you into a brand-new Focus ST.

- Turbo I4, 252hp/270lb-ft torque
- 26mpg combined (on premium)
- FWD
- 4 Doors and a hatch for the seats and cargo

I'm having a hard time thinking of something new that gives you a better fun-to-price ratio with the practicality you're looking for...

As for the snow, I don't foresee any problems with some careful driving and a good set of snow tires.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
I need suggestions for a new or used car. I currently drive a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I bought it for practicality and DIY projects. I also have a short commute, so I didn't mind the 15 mpg that I get. I'll be starting an evening MBA program soon and won't have time for too many home projects for the next 5 years. I don't need the truck anymore. I'll be driving mostly on twisty local roads, 25-40 mph so I want something that's somewhat fun to drive (no SUVs or pickups). I'd prefer a wagon, hatchback or sedan. I'll be driving a lot more to get to class and work, so something with good gas mileage is a plus.

I'm looking for:
1) budget $15-30k, but lower is better
2) fun to drive
3) better gas mileage (20-25 mpg city)
4) needs to fit 2 high-back booster seats in the back
5) current generation cars. i don't like driving last generation's model for more than a couple years.
6) I prefer AWD, but would consider FWD cars if they're not too small. I drive a lot on backroads that get a lot of snow and ice in the winter. My town doesn't like to salt either, although the surrounding towns all salt their roads.
7) reliable. i don't want to bring it to the shop twice a year.

My favorite cars that I've owned in the past were:
1) 1996 Nissan Maxima (manual) - very quick, good highway car. did not corner very well though, so it might not be good for the current roads that I drive.
2) 2005 Saab 92 x (manual) - loved the wagon style and handling (pulled 0.85g on the skidpad)

Cars I've been "looking" at over the past year:
1) Mini Cooper
2) Subaru Outback
3) Audi TT
4) BMW 3 series
Yes, I know those cars are all over the board.
I own an Outback and was going to suggest it before I saw it on your list.

I would make it #1 instead of #2, because, as you stated, you drive on a lot of backroads that get a lot of snow and ice. The 8.7 inches of ground clearance will make a world of difference compared to the 5.7 inches provided by the Mini Countryman ALL 4. The Legacy has a roomier passenger compartment and bigger cargo area, gets better bas mileage, and costs thousands less.

However, since you are also considering sedans, I would also add the Subaru Legacy. It's also AWD and has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, has plenty of room, and gets great gas mileage.

I hope that you will be happy with whatever you end up buying.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
If you want a midsize sedan, I would look at a Volvo S60 R and the Lexus IS, and the Audi A4 over the TT as the coupe would get annoying long-term with children. If you wanted a coupe, the A5 would be a better bet. The BMW 3-series is also a good option for a sprightly vehicle, but as with Lexus and Audi, some of the better engines are not the most advantageous with respect to fuel economy; however, the base engines would provide enough power and feedback for the primary use of transportation on secondary roads.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I would look at a used S60 with AWD. Probably stay away from the R to keep the price down. I think they have less problems also. A nice car for the money.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:06 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I would look at a used S60 with AWD. Probably stay away from the R to keep the price down. I think they have less problems also. A nice car for the money.
We test drove a 2012 before my wife bought the Q5. It ranked as her favorite sedan at the time, but we opted for a CUV instead. Isn't Volvo doing a complete overhaul of the engine and transmission this year? According to Consumer Reports the S60 was pretty reliable, so not sure what's driving the overhaul since the new generation just came out in 2011. Any thoughts on the T5 vs T6 in terms of reliability?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:

I'm looking for:
1) budget $15-30k, but lower is better
2) fun to drive
3) better gas mileage (20-25 mpg city)
4) needs to fit 2 high-back booster seats in the back
5) current generation cars. i don't like driving last generation's model for more than a couple years.
6) I prefer AWD, but would consider FWD cars if they're not too small. I drive a lot on backroads that get a lot of snow and ice in the winter. My town doesn't like to salt either, although the surrounding towns all salt their roads.
7) reliable. i don't want to bring it to the shop twice a year.
Hyundai Veloster

1 - check!
2 - check!
3 - check and double check 32mpg!
4 - they have plenty of head room in the back seat, so that should be a check!
5 - it may be a matter of preference, but I call check! Bluetooth, nav, etc.
6 - not an option
7 - check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive