Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 PM

16 posts, read 22,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
OP your starting to split hairs. With Camry or Accord, your getting a car reputed to be among the most reliable on the road. Which one "costs" more due to repairs is going to be as much an exercise in individual luck than any engineering or manufacturing deficiency when compared between each other.

How many miles do you plan to drive anyway? You said your plan is to keep it 5-6 years. Thats not real old for either car, and aside from you driving 50K a year, I cannot imagine you will be running into many issues at all. Also, unless you do a ton of miles, most of this time (3 years) will be under full warranty with the last two under factory.

If your really concerned about repair costs, or maintenance costs, buy an extended warranty and/or maintenance plan.

Either way, really, your splitting hairs in potential costs and problems down the road.

(I would say the same in this vein about the Ford and Hyundai too, as they too will be plenty reliable for normal use over 5 years).

My choice here would be the Honda without question because I like it a lot more. I like the ride/handling dynamics better, the interior layout and ergonomics better, the exterior styling better.... and I like to spend money on the car I like the most.
That is actually a really good answer. I usually drive the car to work and back, shopping etc. I don't use the car that much. Maybe driving to nearby cities (I live in Houston, so maybe Austin once every 2-3 months). I didn't know about extended warranty. This will be my first new car, so I want to make the right choice. The thing about Ford Fusion is MPG. Both Honda and Toyota offer better MPG than Fusion. I will take a look at Hyundai Sonata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
They're both fairly bland but reliable cars. Go with whichever you like more (based on styling, features, price, whatever). Repair costs aren't going to be be drastically different between the two.

I will say that I'd opt for a manual transmission over a CVT any day (personal preference). And Honda makes some fantastic manual transmissions. They're like buttah!
I would but don't know how to drive manual . Have never really learnt and don't have much time for that now.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,108 times
I think you should check out the Hyundai Sonata. Personally, I consider Hyundai's quality to be equal to Toyota and Honda but with a much better warranty. Take one for a test ride. You'll see.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
Honda Accord is safer, more refined, better quality, and looks better.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,056,642 times
You may be able to get a better deal on the 14 Toyota Camry because if I'm not mistaken, the 15 Toyota Camry which is about to hit the market has been redesigned. So the 14 body style will be out of demand and the dealers will be looking to clear their lots to make room for the incoming 15. Also, I believe Toyotas come with 2 or 3 years of free maintenance which includes oil changes and such. So from an economic standpoint, Toyota may make more sense.

Although, I am a Honda guy, own a 12 Accord and love it and I really like the 14 Accord Sport, it's a sharp looking ride. As far as reliability goes, it's 6 one, half a dozen the other for the amount of time you're planning on keeping it. They're both pretty reliable and unless you're planning on keeping it for 10+ years, it won't matter.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM

913 posts, read 885,602 times
We were a Camry family for a long time. After owning the 2009 for a few years and going through all the recalls we jumped ship and bought a Sonota. Couldn't be happier. We questioned 2 mechanics we use for advice and they both said they have become great cars. They also both said they never could have said that 5 or 6 years ago.
The warranty is great. I would recommend checking it out along with all the other brands.
Good luck!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eemamedo View Post
I mean it's mid size sedan. None of them is considered sport car. If I would want to have fun ride, I would go with BMW. I just want a car that will not give me headaches for the next 3-5 years. And if smth. happens, which of them will be cheaper to fix?
I would consider the Passat (made in Tennessee) which is a much better looking car and better drive. Plus you options for engines including the great TDI.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
You can get a 2014 Sonata fairly cheap right now, since the new 2015 model just came out. Dealers are really trying to push them.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,231,762 times
Camry V6 is the one to get.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You can get a 2014 Sonata fairly cheap right now, since the new 2015 model just came out. Dealers are really trying to push them.
Seems like a lot of people on this forum like Sonatas. I do like the price and it comes with more options than Accord for the lower price. I will def test drive it and compare to Honda. Let's cross the fingers that dealers will still have them in late september - early october haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive