Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,124,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I can't see how. If the vehicle is registered in another persons name it's legally their vehicle. You would have to get a judge to reverse ownership.

Either way. If OP paid for the car and she registered it in her name it's not right.
You don't know that. Why is the mother involved in the first place? He is starting the whole thing wrong anyway. Buying a car with money borrowed from brothers friend with the promise of paying him back with the money he thinks he will have sometime in the future? Makes no sense. He is up to no good and the mother found out and kept the title as insurance. On top of that he has the gal to come here and brand his mother as a thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 7,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Pay her what she is demanding! When she is old and raggedy, put her in the worst nursing home in your area. Payback!
No i would never do such a thing i have too much respect for my mother, even if you take into account this incident to do that to her. Thats going overboard, borderline juvinile to do that to her. I will admit it is a funny idea, but it would be more than wrong to do that to my mother. Now if you were talking about my passive agressive redneck step-grandfather......

Btw is step-grandfather even a word? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I can't see how. If the vehicle is registered in another persons name it's legally their vehicle. You would have to get a judge to reverse ownership.

Either way. If OP paid for the car and she registered it in her name it's not right. Whatever was happening between OP and mom previously has nothing to do with the purchase and title transfer. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that ......

There is more to the story it was the result of a petty arguement the day that she was going to file the title transfer, but regardless IMO (although im baised) theres no situation the excuses the motive to use the vehicle as leverage in a revenge rage. And for those of you asking why i asked my mother to do the title tranfer is because im 21, and never bought a car on my own before and i was going to do it with her to learn how to transfer a title but had to work which resulted in her putting the title in her name after the petty arguement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You don't know that. Why is the mother involved in the first place? He is starting the whole thing wrong anyway. Buying a car with money borrowed from brothers friend with the promise of paying him back with the money he thinks he will have sometime in the future? Makes no sense. He is up to no good and the mother found out and kept the title as insurance. On top of that he has the gal to come here and brand his mother as a thief.
First of all, there is no reason to be rude. Secondly, my mother knew about the deal and it not money i THINK i will have its money i have saved up and will be making in the next few weeks. I have a job, so its really not that uncommon tp hear of situations where people borrow money like this. Is it not the same thing as taking out a loan? youre still paying money back.... And last time i checked if someone pays for something and you claim ownership for it instead, thats stealing. I dont care if youre family or not, stealing is stealing. So now all she has to do is call the cops and report it stolen and im arrested and she gets the car. Yea, thats stealing.

Last edited by cadena; 08-07-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,816,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadena View Post
And last time i checked if someone pays for something and you claim ownership for it instead, thats stealing. I dont care if youre family or not, stealing is stealing. So now all she has to do is call the cops and report it stolen and im arrested and she gets the car. Yea, thats stealing.
She can not call the cops and report the car stolen, because it wasn't. She would have to take you to court and if what you say is true, her chances of prevailing in court are zero.
You can't allow someone to drive your car and then report it stolen. That is why car dealers always go with you on a test ride. If they allowed you to drive the car, and you don't bring it back, their only recourse is to take you to court because they allowed you to drive the vehicle, you didn't steal it. When they allow you to drive it, it's not stolen no matter if you fail to return it or not. It then becomes a civil matter.
Once again I say, drive it and enjoy it, it doesn't matter who's name is on the title. and contrary to what one posted said, you can certainly get the vehicle insured no matter what the title says.
Hopefully you and mom will have a better understanding after some time passes. Forget the drama, drive it an enjoy it and pile heaps of love on good ol' mom..!!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM

13,634 posts, read 12,262,912 times
Wait a second...Don't you have a bill of sale? Wouldn't YOU be on the bill of sale, not your Mom?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,699,423 times
And why would you pay for a car without witnessing the title being signed over to you by the previous owner?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:35 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,441,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Wait a second...Don't you have a bill of sale? Wouldn't YOU be on the bill of sale, not your Mom?
This^^^
Something Smells funny and O.P. is not telling the full story.
At 21 years old you're a grown damn Man, why would you need your mothers help to do something so, so simple?
Who's driving the car right now?

Old 08-07-2014, 02:21 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,985,517 times
Man, I've read a lot of dumb threads on CD lately.

I simply don't know how some people make it through the day.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 PM

9 posts, read 7,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It was bought from a family member, so would a bill of sale still be needed? Again because of my lack of experience in this situation, i dont know how this works....? Because my brother bought a car a while back and i dont think he got a bill of sale and he just transfered the title in his name and they never asked for it. The only reason i know this is because i have heard this issue come up before about not having a bill of sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
And why would you pay for a car without witnessing the title being signed over to you by the previous owner?
Because the car was bought from a family member and again like i said, i didnt know how to do it, with this being my first self-paid car and all, and i trusted my mother to handle it while i was at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
This^^^
Something Smells funny and O.P. is not telling the full story. At 21 years old you're a grown damn Man, why would you need your mothers help to do something so, so simple?
Who's driving the car right now?
Ok again stop being so rude, just because you know how to do something doesnt mean everyone else in the world knows how. There is no more to the rest of the story, bought a car from a family member. Never bougt a car before, so i dont know how to file the paperwork, trusted my mom to do it while i was at work, and she turns around stabs me in the back. To be honest age, doesnt mean anything. And im not a grown ass man at 21, i'm still a young man so get over yourself. Im barely the legal age to drink. Most kids my age are barely know how to apply for college or balance a bank account at my age, but you can thank the education system for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Man, I've read a lot of dumb threads on CD lately.

I simply don't know how some people make it through the day.
youre more than welcome to leave, stop bitching.

Last edited by cadena; 08-07-2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,231,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post

All I know is what I read. What I'm saying is whatever the previous disagreement between OP and mom has nothing to do with the vehicle. If he wants to borrow money from a friend to buy something and the friend allows it and OP is a legal adult then mom has no say in what adult OP does. Now if OP is a minor that's a different story.
Just because mom doesn't like it doesn't mean she can stop it or do as she did

Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,441,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadena View Post
Ok again stop being so rude, just because you know how to do something doesnt mean everyone else in the world knows how. There is no more to the rest of the story, bought a car from a family member. Never bougt a car before, so i dont know how to file the paperwork, trusted my mom to do it while i was at work, and she turns around stabs me in the back. To be honest age, doesnt mean anything. And im not a grown ass man at 21, i'm still a young man so get over yourself. Im barely the legal age to drink. Most kids my age are barely know how to apply for college or balance a bank account at my age, but you can thank the education system for that.
You're right!
Could your dad ,maybe a uncle help you out in all this?
Maybe have a older male family figure talk to your mom. Or Maybe have the person that lent you the money go talk to your mom. At the end of the day, you're still a young man and you're going to need an adult to handle it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive