Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So, we're having a dilemma here: one of our cars is causing a lot of problems, and we need a new one; we need something bigger, and we're looking into Suburban's (because we need a bit more cargo space) ...Tahoe's, Youkon's because our garage won't fit the longer ones. We haven't had car payments in a long time, so, we're not used to them, and IF we're going to do this, we need to know a bit more about this than what a dealer will try to "sell us on"!

We're basically afraid to go to a dealership knowing their reputation...

We know the insurance will be higher, but is it manageable? or it goes up by many thousands?

So, here are my questions:
1. IF we lease a vehicle with low mileage, are the payments usually higher than when buying? or lower?
2. IF we lease a vehicle for more than 6 months, can we buy it if we like it? and if so...
3. Will we get a better overall price on it? or they'll charge us the same as if we walked into the dealership for the first time? Or will they appraise it at the current mileage/features?
4. Can we lease a vehicle for less than a year?
5. When leasing a vehicle, if it breaks down, will they fix it and give us something to use until it's fixed? Or we're on our own if say the engine blows! (exaggerating).
6. Do they lease vehicles to families? or just singles?
7. How is "leasing" different than "renting" a car? (We've never rented a car before).
8. Do they lease Suburban's? or they just do sedans?
9. IF we don't like it, can we change the lease for another car? or are these locked in?

Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hi all,

So, we're having a dilemma here: one of our cars is causing a lot of problems, and we need a new one; we need something bigger, and we're looking into Suburban's (because we need a bit more cargo space) ...Tahoe's, Youkon's because our garage won't fit the longer ones. We haven't had car payments in a long time, so, we're not used to them, and IF we're going to do this, we need to know a bit more about this than what a dealer will try to "sell us on"!

We're basically afraid to go to a dealership knowing their reputation...

We know the insurance will be higher, but is it manageable? or it goes up by many thousands?

So, here are my questions:
1. IF we lease a vehicle with low mileage, are the payments usually higher than when buying? or lower?
2. IF we lease a vehicle for more than 6 months, can we buy it if we like it? and if so...
3. Will we get a better overall price on it? or they'll charge us the same as if we walked into the dealership for the first time? Or will they appraise it at the current mileage/features?
4. Can we lease a vehicle for less than a year?
5. When leasing a vehicle, if it breaks down, will they fix it and give us something to use until it's fixed? Or we're on our own if say the engine blows! (exaggerating).
6. Do they lease vehicles to families? or just singles?
7. How is "leasing" different than "renting" a car? (We've never rented a car before).
8. Do they lease Suburban's? or they just do sedans?
9. IF we don't like it, can we change the lease for another car? or are these locked in?

Thank you much!
Re: insurance, the difference between financing and leasing a car one model year newer was about $6/month. The lease was actually cheaper, but it's also a somewhat (~7k) cheaper car. Give your insurance company a call and ask what the difference will be. I would expect not more than a few bucks over buying.

1. Much, much lower.
2. Yes. Your lease will typically be 2-3 years with the option to buy at the end. What you want to pay attention to is the residual value. If you want to buy, that's what you'll have to pay at the end of the lease. It also determines how much your payment will be during the lease (higher residual value = lower lease payment).
3. See 2.
4. I've never seen this. Seems like more hassle for them (and you) than it's worth.
5. Ask your dealer. Mine will give a loaner but there's no real reason that they would have to.
6. ?
7. Renting doesn't give you the option to buy. With a lease you're paying for depreciation during the lease term.
8. Of course. They'll lease pretty much anything.
9. Difficult and expensive. You may well be better off buying it, then trading it privately.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:08 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Insurance won't really be any higher. Leases require certain levels of insurance. Buying a car (payments) you obviously need comprehensive, but leases often require higher coverage levels and sometimes gap insurance. Get quotes, no one can really answer that for you.

1) Lower
2) You can buy it after the lease is up. I suppose you could also buy it before, but usually that's not to your advantage. The buyout price is determined at the time you lease the vehicle.
3) Depends.
4) Yes, but it's expensive.
5) It will be under warranty. Loaner cars under warranty is usually specified in the warranty and dealers sometimes offer loaners on their own.
6) Same as buying a car. Both can be on the lease or one.
7) Leasing is long-term, renting is short-term. Basically the same in that you're paying to use a car for a time. Lease rates are determined on residual value, money factor (interest rate), and capital cost. Renting is determined on what they can rent a car for.
8) Yes.
9). Yes, at your expense. You can buyout your lease and lease another one. Some states have buyer's remorse periods.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:40 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
After talking to people in the car industry leasing is a horrible way to spend your money.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
After talking to people in the car industry leasing is a horrible way to spend your money.
Blanket statements are rarely true.

People need to look at their own situation and what it is that they're trying to achieve, do the math, and make a decision based on actual facts.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 09-21-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
I have never leased. Are you responsible for maintenance or is that covered. Brakes, oil changes, 30k service?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I have never leased. Are you responsible for maintenance or is that covered. Brakes, oil changes, 30k service?
You are responsible, and you better make sure you have records of it, too.

Lots of new cars do include routine scheduled maintenance for the first couple of years, but otherwise it's your responsibility.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:17 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You are responsible, and you better make sure you have records of it, too.

Lots of new cars do include routine scheduled maintenance for the first couple of years, but otherwise it's your responsibility.
Depends. My car the first 25k in maintenance is included... given that's not much. It's three oil changes. On BMWs they're covered for 4/50k? or something like that. It's pretty standard on luxury cars I think. Of course you're still responsible for bringing the car in.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Thank you guys for explaining! Much appreciated.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You talked to the wrong people. Lease incentives are a popular way to subsidize lease terms, and are sometimes better than the cash and financing incentives because the lease company can manipulate the residual - something they can't do on purchase.

OP, in general GM is not known for having great lease deals. If you can get the lease finance costs in line with a purchase loan, it could be an OK deal that allows you to 'get out' of the vehicle at the end of the term at a known price. Reasons you might want to do this are 1) the car turned out to be less reliable than anticipated, 2) your needs changed or 3) the car was damaged during the lease term. All reasons you may not want to buy out the lease at the end.

Lastly - 2 reasons the lease might not be a good idea: 1) if the terms available are worse than financing and 2) it requires a large down payment. The latter is to be avoided because in the event the vehicle is totaled, you won't usually get this money back since it all went towards initial depreciation (capital cost reduction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive