Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times

Advertisements

What I mean is, when you think of them what do you think? Not the driver, but the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,771 times
GM-junk, Honda-reliable but boring, Lamborghini-great but unattainable, Ford-uprising, Chrysler-Challenger!, Kia-cha cha cha Chia!, Subaru-lets move to PNW and do cool stuff, Jeep-outgrew it's roots, I could go on and on but I probably already pi$sed people off

Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Only low volume or unique cars catch my interest at all these days. Otherwise, most of the time driving it's just a sea of SUV's and bland sedans.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 PM

672 posts, read 789,496 times
Hyundai- every car they make is an almost direct copy of another carmakers design. Good warranty, but you'll need it.

Jeep- the latest brand to suffer from churning out vehicles built on car chassis which has cheapened the brand's image.

Fiat- there used to be a joke that the punchline was something like, Don't eat English food, drink German wine, buy Italian cars, or read French literature... or something like that. However, that discounts Maserati and Lamborghini. But not Fiat.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Oh goody, yet another thread about stereotypes and to show how little people on this forum actually know about cars.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Hyundai- every car they make is an almost direct copy of another carmakers design. Good warranty, but you'll need it.

Jeep- the latest brand to suffer from churning out vehicles built on car chassis which has cheapened the brand's image.

Fiat- there used to be a joke that the punchline was something like, Don't eat English food, drink German wine, buy Italian cars, or read French literature... or something like that. However, that discounts Maserati and Lamborghini. But not Fiat.
I was reading some of the "Subaru jokes" I Googled, and was almost rolling on the floor laughing.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Chrysler product - if it has a problem my Chrysler tech buddy will probably walk me through the repair so I don't have to take it to the shop.

That's it. Unless it's an antique or classic brand plays no part in my opinion of a vehicle. Each model - actually, each individual vehicle - stands on its own merit.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:49 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Oh goody, yet another thread about stereotypes and to show how little people on this forum actually know about cars.
I know, the fact people know think Jeeps are crap is not true. They are still better off road, than anything else. That said, I wouldn't buy a Cherokee. I didn't mean stereotypes, I meant quality, but that is what I kind of expected the interpretation would be.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 PM

125 posts, read 212,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
I know, the fact people know think Jeeps are crap is not true. They are still better off road, than anything else. That said, I wouldn't buy a Cherokee. I didn't mean stereotypes, I meant quality, but that is what I kind of expected the interpretation would be.
First, I agree with you! Second, they really put all their effort into becoming the American Land Rover (but with reliability). The Grand got ALL the attention, and it is a world-class kid-hauler (c'mon, the great majority never even see snow, even though they are insanely good at it, I put a LOT of miles on my 2004 and it took me through Nebraska blizzards with ZERO drama).

I've had two Wranglers, one XJ that got heavily modified and was my trail truck, and one Grand ZJ. Compared to most Japanese competition in quality, you could have considered them crap (now hold on, I LOVED them). Of course, I was the type of owner that would swap out a radiator knowing if I wasn't done Sunday night I'd miss work Monday, so I was motivated. But they were designed and built during times that Chrysler was just getting out of their AMC stuff (not all bad, that I6 was the toughest motor ever built outside of the slant-6). The interior bits were way out of date, the tops would blow off, all normal charming stuff. But they were different than anything else on the road. If you could commute in a Wrangler and love it, you were not normal, and that was just fine. That's the origin of the "Jeep Thing" bumper sticker.

Now, the Unlimited is much more likely to be driven by a suburbanite with a cell phone and kids (not knocking that either...that describes me now too). It's a "cool" minivan alternative. I don't like it, but if they didn't succeed like this they'd be gone like Olds/Pontiac/Mercury, etc. My stock 2004 TJ got about 14mpg. At $4 a pop, getting less mpg than a Tahoe or Yukon was just silly, but that's technology for you. Yes, any modern Jeep is WAY more likely to get you to work than before (I put a dual battery kit in my '89 for a REASON). The Wrangler was the LAST carbureted vehicle in America, and when I worked for a dealer in the early 90's it was common for a four-cylinder Wrangler to stall itself all the time. Brand new. That's just what was left of the Jeep/AMC company was just trying to survive, and still make something people could love. As the Japanese saying goes, there is beauty in imperfection.

So now we have rebadged Fiats, front-wheel drive, minivan motors, leather, and power windows in the Wrangler, and $50k luxo-barge Grand Cherokees. Are they losing their image? I'll put it this way - at the auto show this year, my now-wife was wondering why I kept staring at the $35k Wranglers and looking sad. As we were standing there, another middle-aged guy came up next to me, tapped the grille-cover, and said one word "...plastic...". He then sighed and walked away.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
After owning a Subaru and driving it in the winter, I'll never not have one in the driveway.

After owning an Acura, I love it, but they've started raising prices too much and it's no longer the "value luxury" proposition it once was.

Other than that, my family's experience with a variety of brands has shown that you can take any brand car to 200,000 miles if you take good care of it and they aren't harsh miles. But the little things always started to go on the GMs and Fords we've owned, whereas the Hondas/Toyotas seem to never quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive