Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

My 2005 Sierra is just the opposite, one click on the fob unlocks the driver door, two unlocks both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:24 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I hate that the doors automatically lock when you put the car in gear. On my car I'm told that there is no way to prevent this.
Why, are you planning on getting out while the car is moving?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I have to click once and only the drivers door is unlocked and twice for all other doors and I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban.

Nodpete: I also have that option on my vehicle however, I was able to turn it off in the settings for my vehicle.
Look in the owners manual and see if you can do that as well. I think it depends on the year of the vehicle and what options you have but I am not sure.
We can set preferences according to Driver 1 or Driver 2 so that is what we did.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I assume you are referring to the intelligent keys (keyless fob). Your husband is correct in that it's designed that way for safety. Push once on either driver or passenger door to unlock the door you pushed. Twice to unlock all doors.

My question is if the key fob is in the car, you couldn't push the driver door once to open it? It may be that the fob is too far so that may explain why it wouldn't work.
Based on the manual's diagram it should work, but it won't unlock if I push the button the outside of the car, even if the fob is in the from passenger seat (where I usually throw my purse when putting my kid in her car seat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hubby is right. I can think of several scenarios where you might want to unlock the passenger door while leaving the driver door locked.

Now that you've had the car several years, and have learned how it works, what's the issue?
No particular issue, other than annoyance. More of a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't doubt that these various locking system schemes are intended as a safety feature, but I also question whether the incremental safety assurance of many of them outweighs the annoyance factor.

My current car is a Prius with oassive remote keyless entry and it works much the way the OP's Nissan used to work: approach and open the driver's side door, the other doors remain locked; approach and open the passenger's side door or the trunk and all the doors unlock. It makes intuitive sense, because there are plenty of occasions when the driver has no passngers, so there is no reason to unlock the other doors if the driver's door is the only one that opens. On the other hand, opening the passenger door is a reasonable signal that the car will contain both the driver and at least one passenger (not always, because you could be putting something on the front seat, etc.) so opening that door also unlocks the driver's door.

I don't really think there are many circumstances in which the passenger door is open but the user wants to leave the driver's door locked.

I once had a Grand Voyager with a safety feature that would lock all the doors once we got moving to about 15 or so. I kind of liked it but my wife hated it, because I would drive somewhere by myself, all the doors would lock, and only my door would be unlocked when I got out. Then, the next time we were all going somewhere, my door would be unlocked and hers would be unlocked. I saw her point and I was able to turn that feature off.

The OP's question was whether the manufacturer put this in as a safety feature. I think the answer is yes. If the next question is whether it's a safety feature that makes sense, or is worth more than the hassle, I would say no, but that's a separate question.

I go with C8N's suggestion: see if you can turn this off. If you can't figure it out the dealer can probably do it for you.
Yes, this exactly is my reasoning!
I will have to look in the manual about settings, though I've looked through it a lot before and never seen anything regarding those settings. But wasn't looking specifically for that.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Why, are you planning on getting out while the car is moving?

Well, I've been driving for 57 years and haven't fallen out of a car yet. And I really don't care if anyone riding with me does ! How many times have you ever heard of a door opening by itself ?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Well, I've been driving for 57 years and haven't fallen out of a car yet. And I really don't care if anyone riding with me does ! How many times have you ever heard of a door opening by itself ?
All the time in accident reports. Doors are much more secure when they are locked.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:22 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Locking the doors isn't to prevent you from falling out. It is to prevent someone from trying to jump into your car. I believe they call it "Carjacking". Rare, sure, but I bet you'd be damn happy if someone tried it on you in your car that does lock when you drive away.
I like this feature in my car.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:18 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
My car has auto lock function if I put car in drive. Funny thing is you can still open car from inside (only noticed it from passenger side, would hope rear doors won't be able to open). So yes, it is a feature to protect you from carjacking, not from you trying to get out

Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
How the hell did we make it through the 50's, 60's, 70' 80's without automatic locks ? Of course they can open in a wreck whether they are locked or not ! What are the odds of getting carjacked ? I'm not saying it's not a good idea I'm just saying that I don't like it.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
The one click (turn) for only the driver door and two clicks (turns) for the rest of the doors is a pain in the butt yet it is a valid safety issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive