Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Volvo and Acura are equal, premium sedans/wagons/SUVs that among sedans compete with the Mercedes E-Class and below. Without a super luxury sedan, the RLX and S80 are not true flagships, the brands offer premium-level prestige, not luxury tier prestige.

VW is a German Honda or Toyota, the Passat is an alternative to a Camry or Accord, albeit not as reliable over the long-term.
This is exactly what I was thinking - Volvo and Acura are just a bit below luxury. VW is an oddball since it makes a very nice vehicle (Toureg) but most of its lineup is very affordable (Golf, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan, Beetle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Who cares about prestige? I buy a car to please ME, not to try to impress others. And if that's what you want, then the ones with the most expensive selling price would be the most prestigious cars imo.

And every marque has high and low trim levels.

And what demographic are you trying to impress?

I suppose an R series Volvo would have the most prestige. And for me, the VW's would be last.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Who cares about prestige? I buy a car to please ME, not to try to impress others. And if that's what you want, then the ones with the most expensive selling price would be the most prestigious cars imo.

I suppose an R series Volvo would have the most prestige. And for me, the VW's would be last.
What about VW's R line? or the VW Phaeton, its basically a rebadged Bentley

Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times
Volvo
Acura
VW

JMHO YMMV

Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Who said I was trying to impress anyone? Considering I see a Lamborghini every weekend while shuttling my kids around my town I don't think I can afford to impress anyone here, lol. These are 3 oddball brands which don't seem to have an identity as either "affordable" or "luxurious" so I was trying to see what others thought about them.

Me personally? I'm looking to get to a Mini dealership when I have some free time to test drive a base model Cooper Although if I find it to be too impractical with 2 booster seats I'm also looking at the Volvo S60. I'm not considering any Acuras or VWs, but since I was considering a Volvo it got me thinking about its brand identity.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Which of these brands do you think offers the most prestige? Please rank them from highest to least.

"prestige" like beauty is pretty much in the eye of the beholder...

It is all perception.

In my eye I would go with VW first just because of diesel option and handling alone...

Old 08-11-2014, 02:21 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I'm just not impressed with any VW. I'm not a fan of Audis either. And even if I won Powerball, I'm not interested in owning a Bentley either.

I love cars, driving them... but prestige is never a word that associate with car ownership.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
To me
Volvo

Acura
VW.

The Acuras are too cartoonish Robotech Anime design. And VW I just never cared for those vehicles. I'm actually thinking to get a used Volvo as a commuter

Old 08-11-2014, 05:52 PM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I thought the Phaeton was basically a copy of a Audi A8?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Prestige is in the eye of the beholder, but I'd say Volvo>Acura>VW simply because Volvo is more expensive across the board and VW still makes some inexpensive cars.

Acuras are still well made, are reliable, and have better engines than the Hondas they are based on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive