Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 AM

63 posts, read 92,187 times

Advertisements

Hello folks!

Any advice on whether to buy a used or a new car? And what the price range can be for a decent family car both used and new?

Any websites that are good/reliable to get an idea?

Thinking about a Toyota or a Volvo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
If the name Dave Ramsey means anything to you, follow what he says:
You buy used, pay cash.
This is one and only feasible way of buying cars.
From that on, you will have as many opinions, as posters that will post here.
If I were you, I'd have stayed away from anything that is Swedish or German or British.
Buy a Camry or Avalon, if you want more cheaper luxury or, if you can efford, buy a Lexus equivalent. Very good, reliable cars. No matter what will follow about Fusions or other domestics, none of them has ever topped ten best cars lists for decades.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You buy used, pay cash.
This is one and only feasible way of buying cars.
From that on, you will have as many opinions, as posters that will post here.
If I were you, I'd have stayed away from anything that is Swedish or German or British.
Buy a Camry or Avalon, if you want more cheaper luxury or, if you can efford, buy a Lexus equivalent. Very good, reliable cars. No matter what will follow about Fusions or other domestics, none of them has ever topped ten best cars lists for decades.

He's spot on. Buy a Toyota, if you can find a clean used one, and don't look back. You might skip Lexus due to their higher maintenance costs but, they are fine cars. Skip German (especially any used BMW or Mercedes over 100K in miles).

Honda is a second but, you have to really, really watch out what model you buy....their transmissions in the last 5-8 years blow. Stick to Toyota. You won't be disappointed.

Why buy misery?

Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM

522 posts, read 722,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
He's spot on. Buy a Toyota, if you can find a clean used one, and don't look back. You might skip Lexus due to their higher maintenance costs but, they are fine cars. Skip German (especially any used BMW or Mercedes over 100K in miles).

Honda is a second but, you have to really, really watch out what model you buy....their transmissions in the last 5-8 years blow. Stick to Toyota. You won't be disappointed.

Why buy misery?
this.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:24 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You buy used, pay cash.
devils advocate.

What if its 0% APR special? What if the ROI can outperform the APR on the loan?

Of course my motto is always have debt you can handle & debt you are very comfortable with

Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransnationalElite View Post
Hello folks!

Any advice on whether to buy a used or a new car?
Buy one within your budget.

Quote:
And what the price range can be for a decent family car both used and new?
How long is a piece of string?

Quote:
Any websites that are good/reliable to get an idea?
Start with Edmunds.com or cars.com and come back if you have more specific questions.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 PM

90 posts, read 369,385 times
Certified Pre-Owned 2012-13 Camry. It is an amazing car. It will live longer than you. If you want new--wait a month or 2 as the 2015 Camry is coming out--it is getting a complete facelift. But buy the 2014 Camry because the dealers will be looking to clear lots and you'll get great discounts. They are already giving very good discounts in preparation for the 2015 model with 0.0 APR.

Honda has good discounts now too on the Accord because the 2015 will be out 1-2 months, but I wouldn't trust the CVT transmission for longevity. Better off with the Camry.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
If keeping for long term
New Toyota (very little discount off used Toyotas, even older ones)
Used Volvo (depreciates much faster, much better value buying used)

If keeping shorter term, and you don't drive very much at all
Used Toyota, buy with high miles for the biggest discount
Lease Volvo

If keeping shorter term, and you drive a lot
New Toyota (you'll get a very linear amount back when selling)
Probably wouldn't buy a Volvo, you'll take a bath on the depreciation

Toyotas/Hondas tend to depreciate linearly, that is say a car generally is "used up" its useful life at 200,000 miles. At 100,000 miles a Toyota/Honda will sell for almost exactly half what it was new. This doesn't make sense financially because the first 100,000 miles are problem free, where as the new owner buying the second half of the cars life is taking on considerable risk for the last 100,000 miles.

Used to be a one or two year old $20,000 car with 20k on it was $12-$14,000, a substantial discount, nowadays it's $18,000-$20,000 (yes sometimes used cars sell for more than the new one off the lot would! Insane!). No real benefit to buying used unless you get a smoking deal on a higher mileage new car and don't drive very much.

Luxury cars tend to do the opposite. New BMW 750, $85,000 car off the lot, 3 years later it's $35,000, 2 more years later it's $20,000, another two years later later it's $12,000. Etc. etc. All luxury cars exhibit this except for Lexus (wonder why). BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, Range Rover, etc.

Last edited by wheelsup; 08-13-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,167,323 times
Buy what you like in the budget you can afford, everything else is theory.

I've had Japanese cars with reliability issues (Toyota & Honda included) and German & USA cars with no issues, so it is all perception.
Life is too short to not make your own decisions based on your budget and likes.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:59 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,219 times
I've never owned a brand new car in all my 20 years on the road, however, that may change in the next few years. I'm getting kind of tired of buying used cars only to find so many little things wrong with them AFTER I have them a couple weeks. Little oil leaks, rust in areas I didn't see during inspection, etc.
So I think if you have the money and plan on keeping the car a long time it's better to buy new, pay it off and drive it a long time. At least you know the entire history of the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive