Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:35 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

I assume that most of you - especially those who travel long distances are smart enough to carry an emergency kit. What's in it?

I keep:
  • oem tire/tool kit
  • a blanket - solar. Fits in your pocket.
  • a pancho. Also fits in a pocket.
  • water bottles
  • sun screen
  • cash
  • fix a flat
  • a plug kit
  • air compressor with lights
  • a spot light
  • tow strap
  • jumper cables
  • a jump box
  • duct tape
  • replacement upper and lower radiator hose
  • ratchets
  • screwdrivers phillips and standard
  • hand held gps
  • solar phone charger - gotta get a new one
  • atlas
  • fire bottle
  • previously removed belts i store in front of the radiator.

Looking at the list, I now realize I don't have a first aid kit or a window hammer.

That's all I can remember, will have to inventory later. Most of it fits inside a overnight bag. In the winter and when I travel to high elevations, I also carry cable chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
What kind of car do you have and where do u go?

What's a fire bottle?

Get rid of those used belts and get yourself some ladies pantyhose.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
I'm glad you made this thread so I'd get off my butt and do inventory myself!

In GLOVE BOX:
Small pouch with daily-1st aid (ibuprofen, Claritin, anti-diarrhea, roll of antacids, acid relief pills, packet of mixed sizes of band-aids, small tube of antibacterial ointment, eye glasses repair kit, eye drops, tooth pick (metal) - I use one or another from this on a monthly basis, usually for others.
Loose: can/bottle opener, Swiss army knife, Leatherman, roll of quarters, hidden $20 bill, pencil-flashlight, "guest" sunglasses, box of spare fuses (my car's sizes).

IN CABIN:
(door pouches and seat-back net pouches)
A big handful of fast-food napkins, to use for tissues and to clean up spilled drinks.
Sealed pouch containing handi-wipes, cleaning style.
Sealed pouch containing handi-wipes, antiseptic style.
Medium sized bottle of hand sanitizer
hair comb,
mechanical pencil, ball point pen
Umbrella, pocket sized
Power cables for phone, tablet, GPS.
Audio cable for phone.
Cigarette lighter power splitter "Y-cable" (Lets you power two devices from one socket).
110v adapter for Cigarette lighter power socket (so I can plug in my laptop if needed) - maker sure amp rating is enough!

IN TRUNK:
AAA Traveler Road Kit (cheap jumper cables, road flairs, etc.) - I can give away these cables if need be, since I have good ones as well.
First Aid Kit, Large (170 Item, iodine, purgative, large selection of band-aid sizes, bee sting goo, etc.)
Jumper cables, high quality
Tire Repair compressor kit (Compressor, optional seal-goo, built-in light)
Flashlight, 2D, rugged-waterproof
Water bottle
Umbrella, pocket sized, spare
Butane lighter,
cylume glow sticks,
ice scraper
light windbreaker jacket

(Almost all in their own ziplock or plastic bag):
Several pair disposable gloves, IE: use when changing tires.
paperback book (emergency boredom relief)
packet of (disposable) bungee cords
street maps of my and each surrounding state, plus one of my half of USA.

The glove box meds are mostly "travel sized" bottles or individual travel packets, but you reminded me that I should replace them, as they are several years old.

I'll have to add a bottle of sun-block (great idea, but I wonder how they hold up under in-car summer heat soaks?
What's "a jump box"

Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times
I keep stuff to change a spare (including a real hydraulic jack), a cheap air compressor, one of those $20 Johnson & Johnson First Aid Kits, SPF15 and SPF50 sunscreen, jumper cables, spare sunglasses, and my Member's Only jacket in the Jeep at all times. I try to keep stocked up on fast food napkins but I rarely eat out these days so I'm usually out of them. I also have some Gorilla Tape and some weather stripping but was mainly to patch a hole in my soft top and I haven't bothered to take it out yet. I wouldn't consider that part of my emergency preparedness.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Jumper cables
Bottled water
Granola bars
Medicine
First Aid kit
Solar blanket
Extra clothes
Flashlight
Extra ammunition for my sidearm

My wife has an identical bag in her car as well.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
In an Action packer box:

gloves, an old area rug, 4 way wrench, bottle jack, jumper cables, tow strap, rope and tiedowns.

In the cab: first aid kit, knife, old towels and a blanket.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
A couple pillows, a couple blankets, non perishable snacks, a good flashlight and $200.00 cash so I can pay for the nearest motel if necessary.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM

329 posts, read 387,871 times
Jumpers, flashlights, moving blanket to lay on if needed, small tool kit, .38 in a holster, AR15, mags and ammo for both.
But best off all cell phone and AAA card.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
, .38 in a holster, AR15, mags and ammo for both.
Seems that unless you're in a really remote area where stealing all of the other things you might need would be difficult, the above is really all you need - plus maybe a buddy to cover you in the event the person you're stealing from is also armed...

Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
I don't remember. I put it together 20+ years ago and have never used it. Just keep moving it from vehicle to vehicle when I switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive