Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,112,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

OP: If I didn't have any knowledge of taking electronic stuff apart then I think $100 is a great deal for installation. I know you said it has camera hookup, but does that price actually include the installation of the camera? It's pretty labor-intensive to wire it from the rear bumper/trunk all the way to the receiver. I'd be scared the installer will take the lazy route at that price and route the wire under the car instead of underneath trim pieces inside the car.
The camera is a whole separate deal. The camera itself costs $250 and installation is extra. I don't plan on getting it now so I didn't ask. I was very satisfied with their quality work. Had a 5 bay shop and actually showed me completed instals. Very nicely done. Saw backup camera for the first time. It is cool but I have made it this far without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 AM

1,962 posts, read 6,778,888 times
I am trying to do this on my Mazda, probably tomorrow. Have bought a Jensen unit (has good reviews, but I know it is not as good as the others). I also have the interface and a rearview camera. My last install was 15 years ago and things have changed. I guess if I can't do it, then will head to the shop.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,005,302 times
No. I looked at doing it at one point but came to the conclusion that the cost premium was too high to justify. It's basically duplicating a smart phone and adding a larger screen. If you already have one, it's like buying a second one that is permanently attached to your car - and you have to leave it in there, which adds to the chance of theft.

I had a recent BMW with i-Drive built in. After owning it a few months came to the conclusion that it was a neat toy, but little more. It was already outdated after a year! It makes the dash board more attractive at least. Caveat: I didn't drive the car much. If I was spending hours a day behind the wheel maybe it would have been more valuable.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,112,990 times
In case anybody is interested in what the final project looks like. It cost more than I had in mind but I am glad I did not skimp. It is not everyday that you put one of these in your truck. The biggest surprise was the navigation. If you think iPhone has kicked Garmin to the curb, think again. Once again a dedicated tool beats the adjustable wrench.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq153wv78h...56.21.jpg?dl=0

Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,593,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am talking about 6-7" screen. They could go upwards of a $1000 but can be had for $500 or so too. The installation is my concern.
Yep. I've done this in every vehicle I've owned that didn't come with one. I have a 7" JVC that I just pulled from my Titan to install in my (new to me) F150 this weekend.

Installation is fairly straight forward. Make sure you have the correct installation mounting kit and wiring harness. Then match color to color. Run your bluetooth mic to an area that you want to mount it before installing the radio. Also mount the GPS antenna somewhere it can get a clear signal. I typically stick it under the dash as close to the windshield as possible, directly behind the nav unit. Either solder or firmly crimp your connectors on all of your wiring and test the functionality BEFORE mounting it in the dash.

It's pretty simple for the most part. Not nearly as involved as you might think.

My wife paid a stereo company $175 to install this same unit into her Camry and we had to go back 4 times to get everything working right. The first time they forgot to hook up the speaker wires, so no sound. The second time we realized the steering wheel controls didn't work. They shorted out the adapter. The third time, we got it home and realized the BT mic was still in the box. The 4th time the speakers were fading in and out (they pinched the ground wire and it was causing a short). I finally ripped it all out and re-did it myself.

Mounting a camera is easy, but it is time consuming. Splice in the power wire to your reverse light so that the camera activates when you put the car into reverse. Run the wiring under the vehicle (securing it every foot or so) and into the cabin. Run the wiring under the trim and into the dash and plug it into the radio.

I DO recommend buying the stuff yourself though, as we saved over $450 buying the radio off Amazon instead of buying it from the stereo company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive