Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Yep, shipping is the issue and unless I’m doing it wrong their site doesn’t make it easy to quickly determine if items in your shopping cart are coming from same warehouse until you check out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I've bought a ton of items from Rock Auto, in many transactions. 99% of the time, things go great, the parts arrive quickly and are what you ordered. However, when that 1% happens, and a problem does occur, it can be frustrating as Hell to get it resolved.

The problem is, especially now, they do not have people that you can actually reach via phone to resolve the problem, you have to do it on their website. Their recording says they do this to lower the costs and to be more efficient, but there are times you need to speak one on one to a customer service person.

I have only had two major problems with them. First time, I returned a part and they said I returned a cheaper part. I said NO, and they made me jump through hoops, even having me take a picture of the cheaper part still in my possession, before they would believe me. I actually had a friend, who is a friend of the CEO of Rock Auto, call him, and then miraculously, it got taken care of.

And, just last week, I ordered a complete brake setup for a car I am building. It came, looked great, but one bag in it contained some parts I could not identify, and some parts I needed were not there. So I went on their website, and a pink line came up and said I needed to call them or email them to get it resolved. Since I had already tried calling, and that failed, I emailed them.

I got a return email telling me to go on their website and do the complaint there, so I tried again. What I got was the same pink line, saying call or email us. This time I posted the pink line, sent them another email, and a lady sent me an email and said my correct parts were coming. I just got them, and they are fine.

Bottom line, yes, you can save a lot of money, especially on a larger order, but if a problem happens it can be frustrating. They need to staff some human beings who will actually speak with you and resolve your problem that way.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:10 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
I love rock. I recently had a pretty comical shipping issue with them. I ordered new rotors for my 20,000 LB motorhome. They were stupid heavy, name brand, and dirt cheap, literally about $50 each. I later spotted them stacked on the porch, and the pile looked suspiciously tall. They had charged me for two and shipped four. Being honest, I emailed them to let them know to pick them up. They responded with an email that had PDFs for me to print out shipping labels and directed ME to get them back to UPS. I then had to respond with, "maybe you aren't getting the concept here? I'm nice enough to tell you that you gave me two rotors for free. The boxes are trashed, and probably should be repaired before another trip through shipping hell. After I fix them, I'm supposed to print and attach shipping labels to them, then drive them on a twelve mile round trip to the UPS store, or PAY a fee to have them picked up. Sorry, if you want these back, you are going to need to do better than that." They responded that they didn't really handle this correctly, and I should leave them on the porch and it will be taken care of. When the UPS guy showed up, he told me that he delivers of a ton of Rock boxes, but that was his first time delivering a ridiculously heavy of rotors to a residence.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
I ordered front and rear rubber brake hoses. They were from separate warehouses and I had to pay two separate shipping charges. Received two days apart. But what confused me is that email stated shipped by DHL but delivered by my local regular post office truck.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 AM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I ordered front and rear rubber brake hoses. They were from separate warehouses and I had to pay two separate shipping charges. Received two days apart. But what confused me is that email stated shipped by DHL but delivered by my local regular post office truck.
It's called "the last mile" shipping. DHL is apparently latching on to a system that Amazon spends billions on. Amazon ships UPS, then UPS drops the packages off at your local post office and pays USPS to deliver it to your door. In the last rural area I lived in, UPS would unload truck(s) at our local post office every morning, then the boxes would get loaded into rural mail carrier vehicles, or stacked and waiting for PO BOX customers. I knew the postmaster there, and she told me that it was a huge part of their mail volume now. It's a money maker for all involved.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-25-2018 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Off-topic; political commentary.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
^^^^
Makes sense. DHL doesn't have a big fleet. There is a shopping channels/800# shopper on my street and UPS and FedEx are there at least once a week.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yep, shipping is the issue and unless I’m doing it wrong their site doesn’t make it easy to quickly determine if items in your shopping cart are coming from same warehouse until you check out
When you add an item to your cart, doesn't it show a truck icon with a letter in it? That letter indicates the warehouse. So you should be able to see what items will be shipped from one warehouse and what items from others before you checkout.

Once I place the main specific items in the cart, if I'm not stuck on a specif items and have 2 or 3 acceptable choices, I put them all in the cart and delete the ones that are not from the same warehouse as the main specific items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive