Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are raising 2 g'kids.....G'kid #1 16 yr old with a new driverslicense [we taught him to drive] and he is welcome to drive any car we have at anytime he needs it......he DOES have his own car....

G'kid #2.....the jury is still out as to whether or not we will even allow her to ride in the TRUNK of our car at anytime. [my bet is she won't stand a chance.]

Point being....it depends on the capabilities and trustworthyness of the teen driver [and this come from one who believes that at 13 all children should be incarcerated until they reach at least 18 (or 40)]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Its your car. But!!!! I wouldn't. Old saying 1 boy a good boy, 2 boys half a boy ,3 or more forget it. I wouldnt even consider the idea.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I am someone who can't at this time afford for my second most valuable asset to be damaged.

I just couldn't do it.

When my own daughter gets to the age where she can get a drivers license, its by no means assured that she will be getting one. She has to have my permission I should imagine and if her behavior and responsibility indicate its a good idea then she will get one, if not then she will be stuck on a bike.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND !!!!!!!!

I was a boy in my youth "now I'm an old Fart" and I know what I got into and did with my parents car. No way, no how and at no time.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND !!!!!!!!

I was a boy in my youth "now I'm an old Fart" and I know what I got into and did with my parents car. No way, no how and at no time.
No kidding. I feel the same way. The first car I drove was a Crown Imperial Chrysler from the mid 1960s. No chance I could hurt it when driving it, it was the other guy that was in trouble when I was driving that. It weighed a tone.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
No kidding. I feel the same way. The first car I drove was a Crown Imperial Chrysler from the mid 1960s. No chance I could hurt it when driving it, it was the other guy that was in trouble when I was driving that. It weighed a tone.
Ah come on, admit to it, you were licensed to drive tanks . Cause we all know that the Chrysler Crown Imperial was a tank. As a kid I think I do remember seeing a Military I.D. number on the bumper of one of those babies rolling down the highway. The only thing they did to it was remover the gun turret off of it.
Now that I may let a teenager drive, they're not so likely to go where the cool kids hang out. LMAO

Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Ah come on, admit to it, you were licensed to drive tanks . Cause we all know that the Chrysler Crown Imperial was a tank. As a kid I think I do remember seeing a Military I.D. number on the bumper of one of those babies rolling down the highway. The only thing they did to it was remover the gun turret off of it.
Now that I may let a teenager drive, they're not so likely to go where the cool kids hang out. LMAO
It was definetly a tank, we could sit four of us across the front seat of it. It was awesome for cruising for that reason. I backed into my Dad's cadillac one time, left a horrible dent in it, didn't do any damage to the Chrysler. They made sure I was the last one parked in the drive way after that.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
It was definetly a tank, we could sit four of us across the front seat of it. It was awesome for cruising for that reason. I backed into my Dad's cadillac one time, left a horrible dent in it, didn't do any damage to the Chrysler. They made sure I was the last one parked in the drive way after that.
When ever I got to drive my Dad's tank of a car back in the "70", the back seat was the lacation of choice . Oh, and not for four people either. LOL

Now there is another reason not to let you kid drive your SUV, ya want to be a Grandparent already.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Well I think it depends on the teen. I actually took my driver's license test on an SUV (a Nissan Pathfinder) back in 1995. It was a walk in the park considering that I learned to drive on a stick-shift (actually owned a stick but didn't want to take my driver's test on it, so I used my neighbor's SUV).

I was taught to drive by my father - who is has a CDL and was a long-range truck driver for years. He taught me about using my mirrors and driving techniques for various conditions; as well as how to drive a standard shift. My sister on the other hand (different father) only has my mother to teach her...and my mom isn't good at that sort of thing. So with her....ehh....

With that being said, even though I truly believe I'm a good driver -- I drive a lot and in the 13 years since I've had my license I've been in 3 car accidents...2 of them major (one I'm still recuperating from) and 1 of them my fault (thankfully the last one...where I sustained physical injuries was not my fault!). So stuff happens regardless...you know? You just never know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive