Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 11:34 AM

280 posts, read 307,339 times

Advertisements

What are some companies that will train me in their class b vehicle so I can take my road test in it?

Do you think anyone would go for that and how much do you think it would cost?

Can you add tank and hazmat to your class b permit or do you have to wait until it's a license?

Also if I ask someone to let me train in their class b vehicle and they say yes which companies only have automatic vehicles to train and road test in?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=cdl+...a&channel=fflb

Old 08-25-2014, 05:13 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy09 View Post
Can you add tank and hazmat to your class b permit or do you have to wait until it's a license?
Either way, but you have to train and pass the test in a vehicle that requires those endorsements. When I had my CDL B P license, I had to take the test in a bus, which also had air brakes. The result was that my license did not have any restriction from driving a vehicle with air brakes. It did have the "P" endorsement for carrying passengers. So my license had both an endorsement and no restriction. I assume that it is still the same way today. (I no longer have a CDL.)

Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Either way, but you have to train and pass the test in a vehicle that requires those endorsements. When I had my CDL B P license, I had to take the test in a bus, which also had air brakes. The result was that my license did not have any restriction from driving a vehicle with air brakes. It did have the "P" endorsement for carrying passengers. So my license had both an endorsement and no restriction. I assume that it is still the same way today. (I no longer have a CDL.)
My daughter drives semi for a big grocery store in Michigan it's called Meijer. She has a class a and air brake endorsement and hazmat endorsement. Right now she makes $200 a day. Because of her hazmat she can haul acid or other hazards loads. She also can transport gasoline witch pays more.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,589,470 times
Quote:
What are some companies that will train me in their class b vehicle so I can take my road test in it?

Do you think anyone would go for that and how much do you think it would cost?

Also if I ask someone to let me train in their class b vehicle and they say yes which companies only have automatic vehicles to train and road test in?

Thanks
You're kind of going about it backwards. What do you want to do with a Class B? Figure out what you want to do then go shopping for companies that will train. Otherwise you can pay for truck driving school which can range from reasonable at community colleges to several thousand dollars for month long private schools.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Commercial Driver's License Program | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

All you need to know is right here

I can tell you that I would never hire someone with a Class B CDL, it is useless for my company.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
My daughter drives semi for a big grocery store in Michigan it's called Meijer. She has a class a and air brake endorsement and hazmat endorsement. Right now she makes $200 a day. Because of her hazmat she can haul acid or other hazards loads. She also can transport gasoline witch pays more.
Too bad she is in Michigan, I could use her starting tomorrow, actually next week after we got all her backgrounds done etc.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM

280 posts, read 307,339 times
I actually have a Class A permit, but recently found out the hard way that I have to do manual. That did not go well. So downgrading to class B is fine with me. I will eventually go back to Class A one day,but it will be with a company that trains in automatic. I refuse to touch a manual again. I also plan to get tanker and hazmat as well so I won't be very limited on the B.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I actually have a Class A permit, but recently found out the hard way that I have to do manual. That did not go well. So downgrading to class b does not bother me. I will eventually go back to class a one day,but it will be with a company that trains in automatic. I refuse to touch a manual again. I also plan to get tanker and hazmat as well so i won't be very limited on the B.

You are better off using a manual transmission in a semi however, I would check if you can get tanker on the Class B.
I don't know because I don't deal with Class B CDL's.
Even after you get the tanker endorsement, you will be limited for a while on what you can and cannot haul because a lot of companies require 3 - 5 years tanker experience.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:23 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Too bad she is in Michigan, I could use her starting tomorrow, actually next week after we got all her backgrounds done etc.

Yep she is now in a job that has a union. She has grean bennifit's employee discount. All new equipment most are automatic but she prefers a 9 or 18 speed. Also all she dose now is hook and book, no hand touch freight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive