Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM

815 posts, read 980,772 times

Advertisements

It's been over 10 years since we've purchased a vehicle, so I'm a little overwhelmed trying to process all the information available. We are going to look at a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL. Asking price $17,718. The vin number is 3FAHP0JG0CR274559. The Carfax report confuses me, because the vehicle is now is in Georgia, but was originally from California and was sold at auction in Illinois at some point.
Does anyone have any input on how to interpret this information? I'd really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Late model cars sent to auction are suspect. Usually the dealer that takes it in on trade can make more money selling it locally than shipping it 1000 miles to auction, so if they could not... it raises questions.

It may just be a matter of the local market not being a good place to sell that particular model/options/color/whatever, but it also increases the chances it has an unreported accident - so these cars have to be looked at with scrutiny.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Molly, don't even consider the car if you're going to spend that much. You can buy a NEW 2014 Fusion SE for the same money. We just bought one last week for that same money. It's white with more crap than you'll ever use on it. Sirius radio, automatic everything, power everything, drives like a dream, incredibly quiet inside, and she's already getting over 20 mpg for in town driving. It's for the wife who believes a car is just transportation. She's NOT a car person at all....until the Fusion. She's now a raging car fanatic and wants to show our pristine Lincoln LSC in some upcoming shows. Take a look at the new Fusions and skip the Carfax crap along with buying someones Lemon. You'll like the new ones a lot better, and they come with a warranty not to mention you can get the color you want most likely. But you need to hurry as the 2015s are just around the corner.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I'm be a little concerned / suspicious, Molly . . .

There's gotta be something up with the little history you've already uncovered. I'd definitely feel more comfortable with a local vehicle and possibly being able to speak to the original owner.

Good Luck and keep in mind that CarFax only reports the information supplied to them.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Late model cars sent to auction are suspect. Usually the dealer that takes it in on trade can make more money selling it locally than shipping it 1000 miles to auction, so if they could not... it raises questions.

It may just be a matter of the local market not being a good place to sell that particular model/options/color/whatever, but it also increases the chances it has an unreported accident - so these cars have to be looked at with scrutiny.
Late model cars go to auction all the time. They are lease returns and vehicles that were at the end of their rental fleet life.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
It's been over 10 years since we've purchased a vehicle, so I'm a little overwhelmed trying to process all the information available. We are going to look at a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL. Asking price $17,718. The vin number is 3FAHP0JG0CR274559. The Carfax report confuses me, because the vehicle is now is in Georgia, but was originally from California and was sold at auction in Illinois at some point.
Does anyone have any input on how to interpret this information? I'd really appreciate it
Molly,
That price is way too high. That is about $1000 less than I paid for my 2012 Focus SEL NEW 2 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't go any higher than 14,000 on that car.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 AM

815 posts, read 980,772 times
Thanks everyone! I REALLY appreciate all the input.
Our budget for our vehicle is $15,000 so we wouldn't have paid the asking price, although the price seemed right in line with KBB and other on-line car valuation sites.
We're going to go test drive some cars today, so we'll see how that goes. But we definitely won't purchase anything today, just looking! (As I will have to tell the salesperson if they get too pushy
Thanks again, I welcome any and all opinions and advice.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Some dealers automatically send cars to auction that are not of the same manufacturer that they represent.
Ex: A Toyota dealer might always send Chevy's it takes in on trade, to auction. A dealer has different business reasons as to why they would do this. Since used vehicle prices vary by region, it also makes sense that cars get transported across the country.

Don't put a lot of faith in KBB pricing - KBB was essentially created by dealerships, to benefit them - not the consumer. The prices are NOT real, they are just guesses. Black Book (although a subscription is pricey) is the only real way to get true pricing as it uses actual sales prices from auctions and is updated weekly.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
Car was sold at auction. End of story.

Honestly the car was most likely a rental (a lot of fusions are) that went to an auction company after the company was done with it. Either that or the car was traded in and the dealer didn't feel it was worthy of selling on their lot so it went to auction. Either way you wouldn't want it.

Skip it.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Some dealers automatically send cars to auction that are not of the same manufacturer that they represent.
Ex: A Toyota dealer might always send Chevy's it takes in on trade, to auction. A dealer has different business reasons as to why they would do this. Since used vehicle prices vary by region, it also makes sense that cars get transported across the country.

Don't put a lot of faith in KBB pricing - KBB was essentially created by dealerships, to benefit them - not the consumer. The prices are NOT real, they are just guesses. Black Book (although a subscription is pricey) is the only real way to get true pricing as it uses actual sales prices from auctions and is updated weekly.
This is 100% correct. Auction doesn't automatically mean junk. I purchased an Audi from a Dodge dealership and it was going to auction the next week if it didn't sell. It didn't make sense for an Audi to be on their lot. I got lucky to buy this car almost 10 years ago and it has been amazing, but it could have been an auction car.

Take your time looking. Private sellers are many times a good find, if you can wait a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive