Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

I have been driving since 1974. All sorts of cars up to today.

I think vehicles made today overall are VASTLY better than the cars of the past. I think the 1970s might have been the worst, especially domestics.

Newer vehicles:

- are incredibly reliable and need almost no maintenance except oil changes for 100K miles. No points, no distributor, plugs last 100K miles, they don' overheat.
- newer vehicles start immediately no matter what the temperature.
- don't rust
- stop far better
- are quieter, idle much smoother
- far more powerful, quicker, with good fuel economy; An old TransAm is just a dog compared to a V6 Accord.
- handle much better. You can go 50 MPH on a cloverleaf instead of squealing your tires at 25 MPH.
- better steering. No more of that sloppy on center behavior of old recirculating ball steering
- more comfortable (for me). I don't want a sofa in my car. I like bucket seats.
- climate control is better - even cheap cars have good A/C these days. They never lose freon anymore.

That doesn't mean I like everything about new cars. Some older cars have character and charm missing from lots of cars today. To me that means cars like a 1964 Lincoln Continental or 1967 Corvette. 1st gen Firebirds. Thunderbirds.

I also think new cars have too many nanny features. Lane change detectors. Radar cruise control. I also think touch screen controls are generally awful, and I don't like integration between audio and climate control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
What I really miss about the old cars was that they changed every year. Even if it was just tail lights or something, you could usually visually tell the difference between a 1974 and 1975 car. Now, due to manufacturing process, and required crash testing and such, there are less visual changes between model years.
This was incredibly wasteful of production resources. Also likely to raise long term costs substantially because parts would have to be maintained for a long time. It also decreases resale value rapidly.

I don't miss this at all.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our current vehicles are 2007 & 2014, and while we like them both the electronics controlling everything, while improving safety and convenience, are just more problems waiting to happen. It almost forces people to pay for an extended (factory) warranty. I was forced to sell my 1972 El Camino during the recession, but currently I'm looking at 1968-72 Novas (already have a truck now). What I really miss about the 60s-early 70s cars is the smells of unburned fuel out the exhaust and even minor oil drips spilled onto the headers. Also the raw power of a big block V8, the sounds of sucking air through a big 4 barrel carburetor, and 2.5" dual exhaust with Flowmasters. Yes, those bench seats were uncomfortable, and you may have to convert to disc brakes for stopping power on some of them, there were no airbags and the seat belts were not as effective, but the fun is worth it.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our current vehicles are 2007 & 2014, and while we like them both the electronics controlling everything, while improving safety and convenience, are just more problems waiting to happen. It almost forces people to pay for an extended (factory) warranty. I was forced to sell my 1972 El Camino during the recession, but currently I'm looking at 1968-72 Novas (already have a truck now). What I really miss about the 60s-early 70s cars is the smells of unburned fuel out the exhaust and even minor oil drips spilled onto the headers. Also the raw power of a big block V8, the sounds of sucking air through a big 4 barrel carburetor, and 2.5" dual exhaust with Flowmasters. Yes, those bench seats were uncomfortable, and you may have to convert to disc brakes for stopping power on some of them, there were no airbags and the seat belts were not as effective, but the fun is worth it.
I think that's an old school thought. New cars are technically easier to diagnose because everything is computer controlled once it is connected to the system any car tech can determine what is wrong. It is like fixing a computer today.

The problem is that every car mfg have different systems and they are becoming more standardized today so repairing cars are now much easier. The use of interchangeable parts also makes it easier to find OEM replacement today than you 70-90s cars that had hard to find parts.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Here's another topic on which y'all can weigh in.

What say y'all? And why?

I say that you're 100% on target concerning the ease of repairs/maintenance on the older vehicles. I used to do the tune-ups myself on my vehicles every fall as the weather cooled down. Nowadays, I just don't have a garage with $100,000 worth of diagnostics/code readers/etc to do the job. But the new vehicles don't need that annual tune-up, either. Spark plugs last about 50,000 miles nowadays.

Overall though, I have to admit that today's vehicles are better. Except for the styling. Most are really bland and uninteresting.

A small taste of the good ol' days.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have been driving since 1974. All sorts of cars up to today.

I think vehicles made today overall are VASTLY better than the cars of the past. I think the 1970s might have been the worst, especially domestics.

Newer vehicles:

- are incredibly reliable and need almost no maintenance except oil changes for 100K miles. No points, no distributor, plugs last 100K miles, they don' overheat.
- newer vehicles start immediately no matter what the temperature.
- don't rust
- stop far better
- are quieter, idle much smoother
- far more powerful, quicker, with good fuel economy; An old TransAm is just a dog compared to a V6 Accord.
- handle much better. You can go 50 MPH on a cloverleaf instead of squealing your tires at 25 MPH.
- better steering. No more of that sloppy on center behavior of old recirculating ball steering
- more comfortable (for me). I don't want a sofa in my car. I like bucket seats.
- climate control is better - even cheap cars have good A/C these days. They never lose freon anymore.

That doesn't mean I like everything about new cars. Some older cars have character and charm missing from lots of cars today. To me that means cars like a 1964 Lincoln Continental or 1967 Corvette. 1st gen Firebirds. Thunderbirds.

I also think new cars have too many nanny features. Lane change detectors. Radar cruise control. I also think touch screen controls are generally awful, and I don't like integration between audio and climate control.
I think the key points are that today's cars have much higher standard equipment than the past. You used to have to buy a luxury car to get climate controls and traction control.

The difference is that a lot of car makers do cut corners in economy cars so many buyers don't feel the quality is there.

Most cars today from luxury down to economy share a lot of equipment like the platform, chasis, the differences are the performance related parts and interior amenities.

Most japanese car makers share platforms extensively, but American ones are now doing it very much so and the Europeans as slowly doing it too.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I say that you're 100% on target concerning the ease of repairs/maintenance on the older vehicles. I used to do the tune-ups myself on my vehicles every fall as the weather cooled down. Nowadays, I just don't have a garage with $100,000 worth of diagnostics/code readers/etc to do the job. But the new vehicles don't need that annual tune-up, either. Spark plugs last about 50,000 miles nowadays.

Overall though, I have to admit that today's vehicles are better. Except for the styling. Most are really bland and uninteresting.

A small taste of the good ol' days.
A modern car, as you said, doesn't need much service. But even when it does - I think it is a gross exaggeration to say you needs lots of diagnostic equipment. Fixing brakes is still straightforward. Any disc brake is easier to maintain than drum brakes. Suspension, shocks, etc. are not difficult. Changing fluids is straightforward.

Lots of mechanical issues in today's engines are straightforward - valve adjustments, plugs, etc. It only gets difficult with engine electronics. But a $50 scanner can read the OBDII codes which speeds diagnosis.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM

10,018 posts, read 8,618,441 times
The old cars by far are better than the newer plastic junk.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
The old cars by far are better than the newer plastic junk.
How so? Give us some examples. I can tell you today minivans out handles all of your muscle cars from the 60-80s.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I love some of the VWs of the past -- the Kharman Ghia is a personal fave of mine. But it would never be the main car.... with all the crazy people out there doing crazy things on the roads, I want all the safety stuff I can get my hands on, and I am willing to pay extra for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive