Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
...What say y'all? And why?
On paper, new cars are better in every conceivable way. They're more reliable, safer, more efficient, have more power, handle better, etc. But most of them are not very unique or cool. It's not like most older cars are deathtraps. They're very serviceable vehicles for the most part. Drive what you want. But don't pretend older cars are better in some measurable way. I personally drive a 2008 Wrangler. It's far from efficient and there are safer cars on the road. But this is what I want to drive. I don't have to ignore or rationalize safety tests done on my Wrangler to feel ok driving it. I just accept the risk as part of ownership of the vehicle.

As far as things like fuel injection go, I'd much rather take the infinitesimally small risk that something expensive could jack my fuel injection than spend any more time adjusting a carburetor. I'm pretty sure I spent most of my free time in my teenage years adjusting the carb on my Malibu just to keep it running right. All to keep it at its pristine 8-12mpg. And may I never have to adjust points again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I had old 2001 Subaru Legacy around, sold it 2 years ago because in comparison to my 2009 Camry, it's 2 different cars but just the start up time is a different league. Today's EFI is so quick that as soon as I popped the keys in start the car up, there's zero hesitation. You don't have to worry about old car's with Startup problem and Startup fluid. Dangerous stuff to have around.

The Camry is out the driveway in less than 30 secs and on my way to work.

Today I actually drive the Toyota Prius more, it starts up and gets out in under 10 secs.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Every car I've ever had has lasted longer than the one before it. I've had all American cars. The one I'm driving now is a Chevy Prizm, fifteen years old. It's running fine, gets great gas mileage, and I've taken care of it — regular maintenance, bumps and bruises fixed, and it's always been garaged, so it looks much newer. In my state they charge annual fees based on how expensive and new your car is, so I also pay next-to-nothing for my registration. I have to get a $12 emissions test due to the age of the car, but so far it's always passed with flying colors. Three cheers for old Americans.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Most auto parts stores will do it for free. You need to shop around.

If you didn't have a code, that mechanic would still charge you $100 just to open the hood.
Yes, auto parts stores do it for free.

But it needed a smog check and they have to clear the "check engine" light before doing that test.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Today I actually drive the Toyota Prius more, it starts up and gets out in under 10 secs.
So does my 1969 Cadillac.

And if it's been sitting for 2-3 weeks, it will still start in less than 15 seconds.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
My parents car was a 1948, straight-8 Pontiac. The first night I drove her, I knocked two deer into the barrow ditch, passed through a major hail storm, and had my way with a pretty fair-sized ole gal in the back seat. The next morning, you couldn't see a dent, scratch, or any other mark on the car.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I recall most driveways had lots of oil spots and so did every parking lot. The old cars seemed to leak a lot of oil. I don't see as many oil spots as I use to.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but you left out some of the most important advantages of new cars:

1 - Safety Equipment - New features such as: ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control, etc, Improved equipment: better tires, better brakes, better handling. Mandated safety design: - pedestrian safety bumpers/hoods (detracting from the style you mention), 3rd brake lights, etc. An argument can be made that a good driver doesn't need most of these features, but not everyone is a good driver and all of these items can help in an unexpected situation.

2 - Performance. Cars today perform so much better. From acceleration, to top speed, to braking, to handling, there is hardly any car from 35-40 years ago that can keep up with even the econo-boxes of today.

3 - Reliability. Getting 100,000 miles on a car from the 60's and 70's was doable, but a big achievement, usually requiring some of the (cheaper) repairs mentioned to get that far. Today, 175,000 or 200,000 miles is more likely to be "the norm", with some 100k powertrain warranties. You are also much less likely to be stranded on the side of the road than previously.

Finally, as to the seats you mentioned, most people fine the soft "pillow top" seats more comfortable for the initial feeling, but longer seat-time generally requires firmer seats for most body types. People spend much more time in cars today on average than they used to, so firmer seats are generally better for the majority of the population.

What I really miss about the old cars was that they changed every year. Even if it was just tail lights or something, you could usually visually tell the difference between a 1974 and 1975 car. Now, due to manufacturing process, and required crash testing and such, there are less visual changes between model years.
I agree ,we get very nostalgic for things from the past, but we forget what junk cars use to be.Today even the worst car is 10 times better than the best of yesteryear.
1.people walk away from accidents that years ago would have killed or crippled them.
2. very reliable, a 10 year old car from yesteryear was pile of rust that you pushed to the nearest junk yard, today,as long as you take good care of it, a 10 year old car is still in good shape.
3.fit and finish, even the cheapest cars today are put together very precisely.just look at the fit and finish of some old car--its laughable.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Every car I've ever had has lasted longer than the one before it. I've had all American cars. The one I'm driving now is a Chevy Prizm, fifteen years old. It's running fine, gets great gas mileage, and I've taken care of it — regular maintenance, bumps and bruises fixed, and it's always been garaged, so it looks much newer. In my state they charge annual fees based on how expensive and new your car is, so I also pay next-to-nothing for my registration. I have to get a $12 emissions test due to the age of the car, but so far it's always passed with flying colors. Three cheers for old Americans.
You know that Prism isn't an American car; It is a rebadged Toyota Corolla.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times
No, quite the opposite actually which is why the newest vehicle I own is a 1979.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive