Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:55 PM

470 posts, read 1,665,247 times

Advertisements

The Ford dealership near me has demo vehicles for sale all the time. They are vehicles the senior sales-people drive around in and are assigned to for a few months. For the most part they aren't service loaners, they have a small fleet of older vehicles for that or use Enterprise to rent vehicles.

My current car was a previous demo car. It was just like buying a new car but it has 5,000 miles on it when I picked it up. I also saved about $6000 off MSRP before rebates by buying the demo.

Most of the dealerships around here don't have demo vehicles rather they loan their sales force used vehicles that are traded in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
We recently shopped for an Audi Q5. We looked at one that had 13k miles on it. CPO. It was the dealer loaner car. It had no been owned by a private party however still was being sold by the dealer as a CPO. They price was not that great of a deal either. They still wanted $42k for it when new ones on the lot were going for $46k. We walked from that one and got one that had 17k miles on it. It had come off a lease. Still CPO but the price was significantly less. We owned an Expedition in 2001 that was sold to us as the "dealer car". It had 8k miles on it. We were told the owner of the dealership drove it around. They threw in a 100k mile warranty and lowerd the price by 10k for us in comparison to the new ones sitting on the lot. All of these cars have been in pristine condition.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I worked as a porter at a huge Chevy dealer when I was kid (late 60's). Every salesman had a demo that they drove for a few thousand miles. You could tell how many cars they sold by their demo. The top guys got a Vette....the rookies and less successful guys got a Vega or a Nova. Mid-level guys got a Chevelle or Caprice

I don't remember what they sold them as....but unhooking or rolling back odometers was a routine thing.

Car salesmen must have been a hard drinking lot because a fair number of demos ended up totaled. If they were less than totaled, they fixed 'em and sold them to unwitting buyers....no salvage laws back then.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Sure but as always most where dealer personnel used cars. I have a friend who buys friend who owns dealership for some years now.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:10 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
My Acura dealer has a 2015 Acura TLX thats a demo. It even says on the window sticker demo only, not for sale.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
My Acura dealer has a 2015 Acura TLX thats a demo. It even says on the window sticker demo only, not for sale.
That's not what the OP is talking about. The TLX is new and in very short supply and Acura provides a car to every dealer so people can see it and try it out until production catches up. That's why that one car isn't for sale. Eventually it will stack up like cordwood like most big Acuras do these days and Acura will send them a traditional window sticker so they can sit it on the lot with the rest of them - for sale.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If there is no designated demo then how do people drive the cars before buying them? I understand any car with less than a 100 miles is considered new but that's just a few runs around the block. I also understand it is not practical to have a dozen demos sitting around. I am gonna find out soon as I will be visiting a Toyota dealer tomorrow.
Any car that hasn't been issued a title is still new. Technically that "demo" with 6,000 miles on it is still a new car unless the dealer sold it to itself.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
I bought a Volkswagon Touareg back in 2004 as a "demo". It had 2500 miles on it. It was sold as new, but I got a good price on it due to the mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive