Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want a driverless car?
Yes 44 30.77%
No 99 69.23%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:33 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,499 times

Advertisements

I'd want one more for long haul trips. Put the car in automatic mode and take a 30-60 minute snooze.

Or if I at a large store parking lot or airport and it starts to rain/snow and I am not prepared the car can start up, turn some options on (wipers, heater, defroster, etc) and then come drive to me and pick me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I'd want one more for long haul trips. Put the car in automatic mode and take a 30-60 minute snooze.

Or if I at a large store parking lot or airport and it starts to rain/snow and I am not prepared the car can start up, turn some options on (wipers, heater, defroster, etc) and then come drive to me and pick me up.
Yeah... well... unfortunately those are two of the things driverless cars just can't do right now.... drive in rain... and drive on highways...

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

143 posts, read 169,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Good god no. And more to the point, I don't want anyone else to have one either. This infatuation with automation has gone way too far; there are some things that only a human should be doing. And operating a motor vehicle on a roadway is one of them.

You're the same kid from Texas who started an identical thread a few months ago under a different username, aren't you? It's just as terrible an idea now as it was then, and your arguments for your position don't make any more sense now than they did the first time. Sorry, but if you're afraid to drive a car, you're just going to have to get used to staying home or living in a city with good public transportation.
First of all, I haven't been on this forum before. Second, I want to live in a big city with public transportation anyway, and its not just for transportation. It'd be less lonely with people walking around everywhere. That means you can just walk up and talk, Ive seen people do it on YouTube with someone recording then, and some people actually respond politely and don't think its weird, because they're not anti social or grumpy. When you drive there's no way to be social unless someone is in the car with you. That's one less opportunity to meet people.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Let's just say the majority of people one day have these self-driving cars. What will they be equipped with in the way of electronics? Certainly they will all have GPS. Just recently there was a story out about cars having the means to monitor where your eyes are looking, and alert you to your inattentiveness. I'm surprised they even start without having the seat-belts buckled. Suppose it is taken further, and the powers that be suspect you of being in cahoots with some unpalatable group because of where your GPS has shown you to have traveled.

Your car is taking you to the store one day, and your seat-belt tightens, the doors lock, and a screen on the dash tells you the car is now in law enforcement override mode and will be delivering you to the nearby detention facility to be questioned and detained. You cannot stop the car, unlock the seat-belt or open the doors or windows. Your car has become a tool of the state, and you are a prisoner in it.

It could happen.... just sayin.....
I'd rather live by using public transportation then. Not just small buses, bigger buses or even a subway. Or light rail or whatever.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
Why would you want to live somewhere with poor Internet and cell phone service?
Quote:
First of all, I haven't been on this forum before. Second, I want to live in a big city with public transportation anyway, and its not just for transportation. It'd be less lonely with people walking around everywhere. That means you can just walk up and talk, Ive seen people do it on YouTube with someone recording then, and some people actually respond politely and don't think its weird, because they're not anti social or grumpy. When you drive there's no way to be social unless someone is in the car with you. That's one less opportunity to meet people.
No offense intended, and I don't know how old you are, but you seem to almost comically adhere to the Millennial stereotype - completely addicted to technology (whether helpful or not), a need to hang out in large groups of people, and a lack of awareness of the fact that other people may not share your ideals.

Whether automated cars are good or bad is of much less concern to me than the potential government mandates that may go along with that - such as the inability to choose whether or not to actually DRIVE a car. As one of those freaks who lives out in a rural setting, some government mandate would affect me a lot more due to the lack of infrastructure out here. Would that mean that our cars that we drive on the back-roads become no longer available?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
No offense intended, and I don't know how old you are, but you seem to almost comically adhere to the Millennial stereotype - completely addicted to technology (whether helpful or not), a need to hang out in large groups of people, and a lack of awareness of the fact that other people may not share your ideals.

Whether automated cars are good or bad is of much less concern to me than the potential government mandates that may go along with that - such as the inability to choose whether or not to actually DRIVE a car. As one of those freaks who lives out in a rural setting, some government mandate would affect me a lot more due to the lack of infrastructure out here. Would that mean that our cars that we drive on the back-roads become no longer available?
Well I've never had a lot of friends, so it'd be nice to be around large groups of people. And technology rules! And I know not everybody has shares the same ideals.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Quote:
So you can just sit back and relax, or maybe get some work done on your laptop or phone while the car drives you and keeps you safe. Or if you're comfortable enough, take a nap and the car will alert you when you arrive so you wake up. Maybe you could have a big TV screen to watch movies.
Like this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-you-like.html

Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
So you can just sit back and relax, or maybe get some work done on your laptop or phone while the car drives you and keeps you safe. Or if you're comfortable enough, take a nap and the car will alert you when you arrive so you wake up. Maybe you could have a big TV screen to watch movies.
Only for the OTHER driver's!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Only for the OTHER driver's!
Not if the car is completely driverless.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Exactly! We are, very slowly and incrementally, evolving toward a technology that will automate, (and improve the safety of) moving people and goods .... but anyone who thinks that within a few years, (s)he will have access to a vehicle that can take them, on demand, from anywhere to anywhere, has some painful un-learning to do. The evolution of the sensor that allows people to back out of their driveways without worrying about backing over a child, to cite just one example, took years. And that is just one of many "building blocks" that will have to be refined and integrated into a full package (which still, BTW, won't meet everybody's expectations).

Quote:
And that is what worries me most about the Millenials -- especially the boys -- who to often seem to blindly accept the regimentation, the unnecessary structure, the abuse of authority, even the possible forced medication by the advocates of the Nanny-state who seek to turn us all into contented sheep -- in return for a little more time to withdraw and hide in our cyber-fantasies.

Franklin said it best over two centuries ago:

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-05-2014 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive