Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,715,399 times

Advertisements

If driving isn't fun, you probably drive the wrong kind of car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,639,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If driving isn't fun, you probably drive the wrong kind of car!
actually, in my opinion, if you are not having fun driving, then you have the wrong attitude. any car can be fun to drive.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:29 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,715,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually, in my opinion, if you are not having fun driving, then you have the wrong attitude. any car can be fun to drive.
... with a healthy dose of denial and delusionment, as ricers everywhere know.

Last edited by Chango; 09-05-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,104,404 times
the biggest single boom to old people will be robo driver.
cities will fight it. it will reduce tickets.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,263,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
If anything you should be much more scared of more humans driving. Computer make WAY less mistakes than humans. Humans drink and drive, text and drive, fall asleep while driving. Driving is extremely dangerous and computers are programmed to do specific tasks like driving. So obviously computers should be controlling cars, not humans. It'll save many lives. Also they need that V2V so we don't crash around corners. The car will know from sensors and radar and can avoid it, while a person would be doomed to death or injury.
So some of us don't want what you want and think everyone should want. Get over it. Not everyone agrees with you, nor will they ever. It's just a fact of life. Move on.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,249,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The saddest thing in this story is what our security-obsessed Nanny-state society is doing to the young men who used to personify the rebellion and self-reliance that was central to our nation's character.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,263,051 times
Well it would seem the guy has issues.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,084,975 times
Don’t we have enough of these driverless car threads?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,639,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
... with a healthy dose of denial and delusionment, as ricers everywhere know.
oh please, i am no ricer, never have been never will be. i tend to prefer cars with real horsepower. but one of the most fun little cars i ever drove was a honda 600 coupe like this one;

you could blast around the city at full throttle, and never break the speed limit, and still get over 30mpg. it was a neat little car to drive. and my friend that owned it drove a firebird regularly, and i drove a mustang.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,142,240 times
OP, understand that you're asking this question on a board that's frequented by car enthusiasts. I'm one myself, but with age I find highway (or street) driving less and less "fun".

What I'd like to see are cars with an automatic driving mode that can be turned on and off with the switch of a button on the steering wheel -- like what I had on my old plane. For take-offs, landings, or any other time I wanted to fly manually I did. On long cross-country flights the autopilot was normally on. It handled the mundane chores (holding heading and altitude or tracking radio signals), better than I could, better than any pilot could during long flights that sometimes lasted for 6-8 hours. It also made me a safer pilot by letting me devote more time to in-flight planning, traffic and weather avoidance, visual navigation and to monitoring other important flight functions. And I arrived at the destination more relaxed and in a better mental state. THAT kind of automation would be welcomed by me, just as cruise control is.

The way I use my vehicle most of the time, driving from one residence in town to another, usually in another neighborhood, I have little use for a driverless car, but if there was one that could do a better, safer job of it than I could, great. I'd let it do the driving. I don't, however, like the idea of a car that can't be controlled by the driver in charge, and that driver should be alert, sober, and capable of monitoring the computer and taking over the driving at any second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive