Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times

Advertisements

what's interesting is people will act completely differently if not within a steel cage of a car and some glass as a barrier. I used to be an aggressive driver as a youngin' and cared about saving an extra 2 mins but then I mentally matured, driving-wise, in my late 20s. I still drive spiritedly, but don't drive like a douche to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Like this?

This is why people will only signal as a courtesy DURING the lane change and not an actual warning that they're about to get in ahead of you in 3...2...1. People just don't like that warning I guess.

More and more people should jump on the dashcam bandwagon as they get more mainstream. Would put a stop to a lot of the stupidity if people know there's a high likelihood they're being filmed. I loaded an app called DailyRoads Voyager and it's a good free solution for now.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-07-2014 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 AM

17,642 posts, read 17,756,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Like this?

I hope this Prius driver does this to the wrong person in the right vehicle. Some people in large or beat up vehicles don't care. You pull this stunt on them in a Prius and they will gun the engine and smash right through that SOB. He bought the wrong vehicle for such driving.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 AM

963 posts, read 2,303,955 times
I would get into the far right lane, slow down and allow the Prius to get some distance from me even if it meant pulling off the road for a while. Both of you are taking a big risk by fighting for dominance in traffic. What do you gain by getting in front of him? Live traffic is no place for machismo.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,599,268 times
Usually people who pass "slow" drivers do it in an aggressive cocky way so i can see why some people would get angry. They will tailgate you for miles then all of asudden "wake up" and floor it around you when flooring it is not necessary at all. There is usually enough space to pass the "slow" vehicle that 3 buses can fit through but they decide to be overly dramatic and pass by flooring the gas pedal and you can hear the transmission loudly too.

Bottom line is if you get behind a "slow" aka speed limit driver don't be agressive when passing them. No need to act like an a hole and you won't get treated like one like how that Prius driver responded. I guarantee that prius driver didnt get all upset over a simple lane change there was definitely more to the story that we didn't see. The video was clearly edited and never shows the cars speedometer. And i'm sure he cut out how he tailgated the prius.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
I agree. That's what keeps me from getting more annoyed at a lot of people. They just suck at driving, disregard the gauges, and stick to passing objects.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:47 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,669,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
No idea. People are stupid. Maybe they need a hobby. I like to think that territorial drivers are just enjoying the only freedom that they have in their lives where they have the ability to control someone else, even if just for a minute.
I think these are the same people who (1) act like complete jerks online, saying horrible things to people that they'd never say to their faces, and/or (2) people who scream at hapless customer service workers, taking out their rage because the waitress brought the wrong drink to the table, or the clerk won't let them use the expired coupon.

Basically, self-entitled narcissists who think the world revolves around them. They're a plague on our society, and they're absolutely a danger to public safety when they're behind the wheel. Maybe they have no control over their sad little lives, so they feel the need to take out their pent-up frustration on innocent bystanders. In any event, it makes you wonder whatever happened to common courtesy.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:49 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Usually people who pass "slow" drivers do it in an aggressive cocky way so i can see why some people would get angry. They will tailgate you for miles then all of asudden "wake up" and floor it around you when flooring it is not necessary at all. There is usually enough space to pass the "slow" vehicle that 3 buses can fit through but they decide to be overly dramatic and pass by flooring the gas pedal and you can hear the transmission loudly too.
While this certainly happens, it does not describe the situation in my OP at all.

I was two cars behind the "slow" car, so I was not tailgating him. Nor was I tailgating the car behind him.

I merely recognized that the cars ahead of me were driving apprx 62 MPH in the left lane, and that I wanted to go faster than that.

So I moved into the right lane, began accelerating up to 65-67 MPH, and then as soon as I passed the first car, he began accelerating to catch up with me. He then drove parallel to me, matching my speed.

There is no reason that he needed to do that, and it was aggressive on his part to do so.

That leads me back to the original question: why do some people get mad when you pass them in a LEGAL and non-aggressive manner.

If you pass someone in a rude or aggressive manner, then I would not be surprised if that person reacts in a similar fashion.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 12,822,529 times
How about people that go 10mph below the speed limit on a two lane road in no passing areas but once they hit a stretch that passing is legal they speed up to 10 over the limit only to slow back down when it is a no passing area. Followed an idiot like that yesterday for 10 miles; they apparently didn't want anyone to pass them. When we got into town they had eight or nine cars stacked up behind them.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,565,660 times
They are just trying to force to down to their level like they do in every situation in life. What you do is stay behind them and drop way back and like a dim witted dog, they lose interest pretty quickly.

Sorry that happened to you.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:35 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times
I had something really crazy happen a few months back.

I was on a side street on which the speed limit was 30mph. Most people driving that stretch go between 32-36 MPH.

I was behind this red sports car - the type with the logos removed from the back and super dark tinted windows. The light turned green and we began driving onto this road.

I expected the guy to gradually accelerate up to at least 30MPH, if not a bit over.

Instead, he gradually slowed down to below 25 MPH. And then even a bit lower. There was no one in front of him at all. He proceeded to do this for over a mile.

To this day I have no idea what he was doing. I can only think that he was being intentionally passive aggressive. There was no reason to be going 20 MPH on that road. It was a bright sunny day, with no other cars anywhere in sight.

Why would someone want to do this?? If he wasn't doing it purposefully the only other guess I have is that he was texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive