Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:10 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
A few weeks ago, I was driving on a 2 lane road with a 35 mph speed limit, and I was going about 40-42. I had some middle aged woman about 2 inches from my bumper this whole time. The stop light onto a 4 lane road was red and I wanted to turn left, so I signaled and stopped. She also was turning left. The left turn lane was left turn on green arrow only, so I could not turn, since I had the red arrow. She proceeded to lay on her horn and flash her head lights on and off at me while I was waiting for the light to change (and traffic was zipping by on the cross street, so even if I had wanted to run the red arrow light, I could not have, as I would have gotten slammed from both directions). Once the light changed, I turned, and I got the friendly one finger wave as she blew by me. About a mile up the road there was another light, and she was stopped behind some cars at that one. I needed to turn right at that light, so I don't know what she did as that light turned green, but she was cray-cray.
Wow. I've dealt with clueless people like that before -- like the person who honked at me to turn when the sign above the intersection clearly said NO TURN ON RED. I rolled down my window and pointed at the sign. Not sure if it got through to the dimwit behind me. All I remember is that the person aggressively passed me and flipped me off at the first opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Were you wearing a seatbelt when you were ejected from your vehicle?
We had just finished putting a custom interior in, took out the stock bench seat and put in one of those bucket/bench types. Just had the truck painted pearl white.

So, in response to your question, no seat belt. They had not yet been put back into the vehicle yet. (This happened a long time ago, I don't even know that there were seat belt laws?)

My husband had installed a roll bar in the truck, as we went off roading often. When the truck rolled the first time, it landed on the hood and came down onto the roll bar. Lucky for me, my husband bolted the roll bar to the frame of the truck, rather then just the bed. The tubing the roll bar was made from, had a dent about 8 inches long, on the curved part of the roll bar.

The roll bar kept the weight of the truck up high enough for me to be ejected through the windshield. The truck was going fast enough that it did not skid on the first roll. I remember feeling the steering wheel being pulled and I felt the truck start to roll. I let go of the steering wheel and covered up my face.

Every side of the new paint job was scratched and dented, except the tail gate.

Last edited by SocalPitgal; 09-08-2014 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-08-2014, 07:43 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
We had just finished putting a custom interior in, took out the stock bench seat and put in one of those bucket/bench types. Just had the truck painted pearl white.

So, in response to your question, no seat belt. They had not yet been put back into the vehicle yet. (This happened a long time ago, I don't even know that there were seat belt laws?)

My husband had installed a roll bar in the truck, as we went off roading often. When the truck rolled the first time, it landed on the hood and came down onto the roll bar. Lucky for me, my husband bolted the roll bar to the frame of the truck, rather then just the bed. The tubing the roll bar was made from, had a dent about 8 inches long, on the curved part of the roll bar.

The roll bar kept the weight of the truck up high enough for me to be ejected through the windshield. The truck was going fast enough that it did not skid on the first roll. I remember feeling the steering wheel being pulled and I felt the truck start to roll. I let go of the steering wheel and covered up my face.

Every side of the new paint job was scratched and dented, except the tail gate.
Yikes, glad you are ok!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Wow. I've dealt with clueless people like that before -- like the person who honked at me to turn when the sign above the intersection clearly said NO TURN ON RED. I rolled down my window and pointed at the sign. Not sure if it got through to the dimwit behind me. All I remember is that the person aggressively passed me and flipped me off at the first opportunity.
My wife is a very cautious driver and people get frustrated with her sometimes. Really upsets me because if they knew her, how nice and kind she is they would feel pretty damn bad about honking their horn at her just because she might have cost them 10 secs. I hate human drivers, I really do.

Can hardly wait for google to take the wheel of these idiot's cars.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Honestly, I think that while there are plenty of people who intentionally block cars along the lines of that Prius, but there are also probably even more that do not realize they are doing it. Maybe they are just inattentive, but when driving without cars close by them, they lose their frame of reference and tend to drive more slowly. When other cars are around their mind subconsciously has them keep up with cars. When you pass them, it "reminds them" to speed up again. ITs only slightly less dangerous than the jerks that intentionally block, but at least if you spiritedly accelerate away from them they will not try to catch you, you just can't pass them slowly.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM

210 posts, read 246,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
I've had this happen to me on highways and it is annoying, but nowhere near as bad as passing someone on a two-lane road (when its legal), and having them speed up in the process (trying to block you), or tailgating you once you get around them. I try to avoid doing this anyway as I'm not usually in such a hurry, but every once in a while I will, and for people to reciprocate is frustrating and dangerous.
These people drive me crazy. I look at it like attempted murder. It's a game you're playing.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 AM

210 posts, read 246,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
A lot of Americans just don't know how to drive. In Europe everyone and I mean everyone stays right and passes left.
After watching European dashcams on youtube for an hour I have to disagree lol.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How about people that go 10mph below the speed limit on a two lane road in no passing areas but once they hit a stretch that passing is legal they speed up to 10 over the limit only to slow back down when it is a no passing area. Followed an idiot like that yesterday for 10 miles; they apparently didn't want anyone to pass them. When we got into town they had eight or nine cars stacked up behind them.
We have some morons on the roads around here like that. When you do pass them you are going far too fast, but it's the only way to get past stupid. I have to say...I enjoy the acceleration of a motorcycle. I can make the pass quickly and get back onto my lane, without taking 1/2 mile to get past them.

Drivers in general seem to have gotten a lot worse in the past 10 years or so. The left lane blockers weren't a problem around here a decade ago, but now I run into them on the 4-lane nearly every day. After following some idiot pacing a car in the right lane for miles I too often make a more "aggressive" pass than I'd like. These idiots don't seem to understand the concept of "keep right except to pass". Wish the state police would issue more tickets for that.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I've sorta had the opposite happen to me, and it always makes me laugh.

Say I'm on a state road, not a highway. I'm going the speed limit and maybe a bit more, in the right lane. Some hot-shot roars past me on the left...which is OK with me, I have never experienced "road rage" and don't care what others do, as long as they do not endanger me.

Up ahead there's a light. Invariably, the hot-shot is stuck at the light, and I just cruise up right behind him, chuckling at all the gas he wasted getting to "first in line" at the light! On cue, he takes off like a bat outta hail as soon as the light turns, only to - you guessed it - stop at the next light, with me once again cooly cruising up behind him. Just too funny.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I'm wondering how often other people encounter this scenario - you pass someone (not illegally), and then they seem to get mad about it.

I was driving on a 4-lane highway last week and there were two cars ahead of me in the left lane who were going slightly above the speed limit (60 mph). The right lane was wide open. I wanted to go a bit faster (65-67ish) and so I got into the right lane and proceeded to move past them. And after I passed them, I just stayed in the right lane.

Next thing I know, the first car starts speeding up to catch up with me.

Up ahead, traffic was going to be merging into my lane, and when we got down there, he sped up even more to prevent me from going in front of him. I was then forced to get behind him.

He then proceeded to slow down, yet when I had another opportunity to go around him (by getting in the right lane), he sped up again to block me.

It quickly began to feel like this person was purposely playing games with me, when I had done nothing to him except to drive faster than him.

I do not understand this behavior!!!! What is the point?
People do this in Southern California more than any place I've ever driven (over 40 states), it's really maddening. I'll be on cruise control going 80 in the left lane and I'll catch up to the car in front of me, change lanes and try to pass them...but suddenly they are going the same speed as me! Hmmm, I'm on cruise control, so why did you suddenly speed up the moment I started to pass you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive