Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What I saw was that only the left front wheel and left rear wheel were turning.
I should have said the right front wheel. Just to understand it, why can't you have ALL wheels drive at the same time regardless of traction, at least in an emergency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM

299 posts, read 557,114 times
When I used to do on-site computer service, my 4WD on demand SUV came in very handy on several occasions in the winter. One time, I had to go to a house with a huge, steep driveway up the side of a hill, right after a big snow. I actually made it (and was given a tip at the end of my work out of appreciation I made the effort to show up in those conditions).

If you live in California or something, then no .... you don't need it unless you're going to be off-roading. But where there's risk of snow and ice, it's beneficial, IMO.

The big problem, though, is educating people that 4WD won't help you STOP any quicker. The only thing that helps there are having the best tires possible for the conditions.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
I should have said the right front wheel. Just to understand it, why can't you have ALL wheels drive at the same time regardless of traction, at least in an emergency?
You would need three locking differentials and because of cost, most vehicles have open diffs up front and in the rear. A few will have a locker in the rear like GM Z-71's equipped with the Eaton.
A Hummer H1 can lock front and rear axles and send all its power to one wheel if necessary.

Last edited by Tourian; 09-08-2014 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
My Rogue I believe has this feature (4WD interlock) It's just for brief periods of time where you need all 4 wheels to spin or pull. I believe the computer kicks it out when you get above a certain speed or rpm.

The reason you can't have 4 wheels locked in at all time is you need differential for steering.

When my car is in AWD mode, when it senses a wheel slip the computer automatically shifts the torque to another wheel and rotates the traction around. There is also a button I can push to disable that. I've never tried it.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Perhaps mentioned earlier in the thread but 4WD preferred for towing a trailer? Applicable to warm weather seats as in Florida where folks trailer large boats to/from.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
At least one of our cars has had four wheel drive, and that will always be the case.

We used to have a Silverado 4x4 that was a fantastic, dependable vehicle for us, but we've recently traded that for a Subaru Outback that we love. 30 mpg and all wheel traction is a great combo for us.

I used the four wheel drive of the Silverado frequently - especially the "auto track" setting that locks the transfer case and engages the front hubs only when needed. That was a great feature. I honestly only used the 4wd "low" setting two or three times, and they always involved pulling heavy objects very short distances.

My new Outback does not have a low range, and I don't really miss having it.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
As noted, most 4WD's and AWD's have "open" differentials. Limited slip or locking differentials are often an option on the rear axle on "conventional" 4WD's--conventional meaning a 4WD that operates in RWD on dry roads, with 4WD reserved for off-roading and low traction driving conditions. Limited slip and locking differentials can actually be problematic on a front axle because, when locked or activated, they can cause the vehicle to tend to push straight ahead, even if the front wheels are turned. On the rear axle, though, limited slip or locking rear differentials make a huge difference. My "beater" 4WD has an open front differential and Detroit Locker rear axle. The difference? I can drive in 2WD with less slippage than most open differential 4WD's engaged in 4WD. When I'm in 4WD, I have almost no slippage unless the road condition is truly abysmal.

Many of today's AWD's are front-wheel drive cars that have the ability to engage the rear wheels in low-traction situations. One exception is the Subaru line--which actually is a "full-time" AWD system. In later model AWD's and many 4WD's, traction control systems and electronic stability control programs increasingly are supplanting limited slip and locking rear differentials. TCS and ESC sense wheel slippage and modulate the brakes on the slipping wheel to reduce slippage. Their effectiveness varies and many "old school" 4-wheelers still prefer the mechanical limited slip or locking differentials. In my case, I have not owned a 4WD for going on 20 years that did not have either a limited slip or locking rear differential either factory-equipped or added by me.

One of the reasons that the newer model Subies are so popular is that they sport the combination of symmetrical AWD and ESC systems that effectively will deliver traction to all 4 wheels in very slippery conditions. The video below obviously is Subaru propaganda, but the results pretty much mirror what I've seen out in the field with Subies vs. other makes of AWD's.

2014 Subaru Forester Vs Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Mazda CX-5, and Toyota RAV4 - YouTube

Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
This past winter I couldnt thank my AWD vehicle enough. My fiance's company where she works is on a very steep incline. There were numerous days where had it not been for our awd vehicle, she would had been at the bottom of that hill spinning her tires with the numerous other non awd vehicles that couldnt make it up the steep incline due to all the ice and snow.

Last edited by louie0406; 09-08-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 01:31 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Front wheel drive with snow tires has never let me down! The biggest snow storms of last winter I left the lifted Jeep with snow tires sitting and used the front wheel drive car.

The biggest problem with AWD I see is people don't feel the need to equip them with snow tires. Then they slide into people when trying to stop. Sure - it helps you go, but it doesn't help stop; it won't overcome the laws of physics.

I'm sure I'll buy an AWD vehicle at some point and when I do it will be equipped with snow tires.

I live on a hill. I love watching people with their AWD vehicles with bald tires try to get up and down the hill and get stuck. Then I just mosey on by them in my front wheel drive car.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Here in Montana 4x4 and AWD are about half the vehicles. You can hardly give away a 2 wheel drive pickup. I bought one used that looked like new 4 years old, for half the market value at a new car dealer as no one wanted it. I bought it as I only need it to take trash to the dump, and occasionally take it shopping 50 miles away to haul things home. Only drive it on highway driving in good weather which is most of the time.

The Explorer is what we drive in the winter weather, and never have a problem. Have had a 4 wheel available to use in bad weather for 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive