Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 01:55 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times

Advertisements

No way could I have made it through 10 new England winters without a 4x4 button on my f150..now in Florida I doubt I will need it but turn it on once in a while just to see if it still works lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 02:06 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I assure you, despite your most asinine claims, you have NOT been behind someone like me.

Well, considering I rarely got stuck with a 2wd, I can assure that there have been more pickup and SUV drivers have held me up because of their overconfidence. They are far more inconsiderate and dangerous than anyone in a 2wd, despite your assertions.

Gee, I've even run 2wd drive plow trucks... You guessed it, with zero issues.
Most people don't realize it is in the quality of the tires.

I'd take a 2wd truck with good snow tires over a 4x4 truck with HT style tires (which everyone runs). The later is the type that is always stuck on my hill.

AWD crossover drivers are the ones that always run into each other going down hill. "But it says AWD so it has to be good in the snow even with the bald tires!!!!"

Old 09-08-2014, 02:20 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Ah, this is just stupid. There is a huge difference between AWD and FWD on hills and heavy snow.

I have both and there is no contest.
Reread my post because you would be incorrect.

The difference is in the tires. AWD > FWD > RWD, assuming all are using winter tires. However, most Northeasterners don't use winter tires. They think AWD will save them in winter.

My comment was FWD with snow tires > AWD with all-season tires, which is 100% true.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Some years ago I was driving my new Chevy 2WD pickup home in rush hour traffic during a snow storm. A big lifted 4WD ruck with some drunken yahoos stopped to laugh at me. A couple of lights later they were turned down into a ditch and stuck.
Wait...they were laughing at me?!! Why? I think most forget you need to STOP as well as GO and a big lifted FWD truck is not immune from physics.

Yeah. I had the last laugh.

As far as people guying more than they need....
Go shopping for a used vehicle and take note of how many trucks/SUVs are 4WD. It seems every vehicle with any truck/SUV semblance is outfitted as such. I think it was a stutus symbol to have the decal which reads Z-71 on the side of one's Chevy truck at one point in time. This kid never fell for the hype.
It's too heavy and the insurance is higher.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
This x 1000. There are many more capable awd systems on the market from a variety of manufacturers.

Someone new to CO would probably be doing themselves a favor buying an AWD. Just because you know some seasoned pro who can get around in a Miata on snow tires doesnt mean every one can do it.
Not really. Subaru and Audi (A4+) are the only manufacturers with symmetrical AWD. Some are mainly RWD with some torque always being sent to the front, but the vast majority are FWD until the front wheels slip, then some power "sent" to rear.

Trucks are not AWD. They're part time 4WD which should never be used on the road except to get yourself unstuck. The reason for that is that front and rear axles are locked together in 4WD mode. Steering puts a huge amount of stress on the drivetrain and will make either the front or rear wheels break loose.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Some years ago I was driving my new Chevy 2WD pickup home in rush hour traffic during a snow storm. A big lifted 4WD ruck with some drunken yahoos stopped to laugh at me. A couple of lights later they were turned down into a ditch and stuck.
Wait...they were laughing at me?!! Why? I think most forget you need to STOP as well as GO and a big lifted FWD truck is not immune from physics.

Yeah. I had the last laugh.

As far as people guying more than they need....
Go shopping for a used vehicle and take note of how many trucks/SUVs are 4WD. It seems every vehicle with any truck/SUV semblance is outfitted as such. I think it was a stutus symbol to have the decal which reads Z-71 on the side of one's Chevy truck at one point in time. This kid never fell for the hype.
It's too heavy and the insurance is higher.
If you go shopping for a 4WD pickup, you'll find it's the exact opposite. Most are RWD

Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Not really. Subaru and Audi (A4+) are the only manufacturers with symmetrical AWD. Some are mainly RWD with some torque always being sent to the front, but the vast majority are FWD until the front wheels slip, then some power "sent" to rear.
No. Nissan's ATTESSA and Mitsubishi's S-AWC can vector power in many directions. Even Honda's SH-AWD can do this.

Quote:
Trucks are not AWD. They're part time 4WD which should never be used on the road except to get yourself unstuck. The reason for that is that front and rear axles are locked together in 4WD mode. Steering puts a huge amount of stress on the drivetrain and will make either the front or rear wheels break loose.
Most trucks I have been in have a 4HI mode that can be used on pavement. It does not lock the front and rear axles together like 4LO does. Some trucks and SUVs are billed as A4WD combining the best of both systems.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Most trucks I have been in have a 4HI mode that can be used on pavement. It does not lock the front and rear axles together like 4LO does. Some trucks and SUVs are billed as A4WD combining the best of both systems.
Which trucks would these be? Because every truck I've owned with a transfer case, 4HI did the same thing 4LO did, minus the gear reduction - it ensured that the output shafts to the front and rear differentials turned at a matching speed at all times.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times
4wd is not a fad. I live on a side street in the city, that gets treated like a remote road if a significant snow fall happens, I would never get out of the drive way, much less the street if it wasn't for 4wd.
You know what I hate, when I find an awesome pickup truck for sale, and find out its only 2wd, sale lost. More then likely the price isn't that much of a difference for 2wd only or 4wd.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
A FWD vehicle with decent snow tires is about all most people need. I still remember trucking right past all kinds of AWD junk in a Honda Civic with snows on the way to Tahoe.

AWD is not an excuse not to buy snow tires
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive