Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,070,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Both hurricanes caused freeway hell but I drive a manual all of the time even in Houston traffic. I have to go past the 59-610 interchange everyday and not once have I ever thought about how much of a pain driving a stick is because to me it isn't. Maybe it's natural to me but I've never been in an environment where driving it stick was bothersome and annoying. I've spent a full month driving on a broken leg. If anything, automatics are boring and annoying. In Houston's gridlock, I would be tempted to fall asleep. They are that boring and disengaging to me. Now motorcycles ugh.......
In Houston, do they have timing lights to get on the freeway? That was the reason why I stopped driving manuals.. having to leg it repetitively for up to 15 minutes on that uphill North First flyover to 87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,672,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
In Houston, do they have timing lights to get on the freeway? That was the reason why I stopped driving manuals.. having to leg it repetitively for up to 15 minutes on that uphill North First flyover to 87.
Yeah they have metering lights though it is rare for them to be used and I've been timed at an entrance lights only a handful of times.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,070,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Yeah they have metering lights though it is rare for them to be used and I've been timed at an entrance lights only a handful of times.
The timing lights are on every day here throughout normal commute hours. At the northbound onramp I normally take, they are on from 6 am until 10 am, and in the evening the southbound one I take is on from 3pm until 7pm. They say that it reduces congestion on the freeway, but it also causes gridlock on the surface streets. There is a line just to get in line most days.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 AM

11,154 posts, read 15,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This was news in 1984. Not so much in 2014.

Alas. I love my manual transmissions.
Same here. I've been driving stick shifts on-and-off for over 30 years. My first (and favorite) one was an RX-7 in 1982. Alas, it is getting harder to find an old-fashioned stick with a clutch pedal. I recently bought a Maserati as a fun weekend car and it has a Ferrari Formula 1 transmission with paddles in lieu of a stick. For those who don't know, it has a clutch, but no clutch pedal. Still definitely fun to drive, but it's not quite the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive